• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ideas on filling fiberglass Cut outs

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will probably have to cut some holes on the inside of my boat in order to install the mounts for my tower. This will leave at least 2 openings (5" hole saw) on each side of the boat somewhere around the rear of the captains chairs.

Any ideas on how to use these new openings/holes other than to patch them back up? I thought about putting speakers there but my current speakers are already directly in front of the captains chairs so I don't think that would be the best use.

I also thought about installing some sort of cubby or compartment where I could include a 12v adaptor and/or usb outlet for guest, phone storage and charging.

Any ideas and/or links of things that I could buy to fill and use this space?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe a Kayak Dry storage bag would work. I would check with the site to see if the 5" deck plate requires a 5" hole. You may need to enlarge the hole slightly to find a bag and plate to fit.

I'm now thinking that this may be a great idea for guests, cell phones, cameras, wallets, etc.

Here's a link with 5" Deck Plate Bags
http://www.beckson.com/stowdp.html

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found this chart on the page linked above...

Dimensions
4" - OD: 6 1/8" (15.6 cm) ID: 4" (10.2 cm) Hole Cut: 4 1/2" (11.4 cm)
6" - OD: 8 1/8" (20.6 cm) ID: 6" (15.2 cm) Hole Cut: 6 1/2" (16.5 cm)
5" - OD: 7" (17.8 cm) ID: 5" (12.7 CM) Hole Cut: 5 1/2" (14 CM)
8" - OD: 10" (25.4 cm) ID: 7-5/8" (19.4 cm) Hole Cut: 8-1/2" (21.6 cm)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Usually over time the hardware that connects the tower to the boat needs to be tightened. If you need to cut access holes to install the tower, you will need them down the road to tighten the bolts so patching the access holes might cause troue down the road.

Maybe installing a speaker would be the best idea aesthetically even if the speaker isn't wired into your system.

Do you really need a 5" hole for install?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, I am still wondering why a hole is needed? Maybe we are missing something?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a shot of an AR210 with tower....looks like the front mounts would be easy....get to them from the storage lockers under the wind shields. The rear ones look more difficult, but perhaps reachable by removing the back seat seatback?
image.jpg

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the LS it is important to install a backing plate behind the mounting point for added strength. In the picture above of the LX, they probably cut a hole behind the seat cushion like they did for the first tower that was on my boat.

The new tower will have easy access through the windshields for the front mount but the left/port side will be difficult unless I cut a hole for access.

I really like the storage bag idea @cane.mba. I will probably go that route since it would provide a great deal of added protection for carry on stuff. Thanks again all for the suggestions and help.

If you come across any other hatch or storage bin ideas, please forward. Tower comes today. So does rain....

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't you find a small person to climb down in there or it just too tight?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is very tight considering how far back it is. We will see how this goes and I will report back with a picture of the final install and what I ended up doing.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Those storage bags look really cool, Hell I may put a couple of those in on both sides just to store dock lines and such, there is "no" storage on the LS other than that huge ass tray under the sun deck.. Maybe a smaller one or two for other valuables..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
there is "no" storage on the LS other than that huge ass tray under the sun deck.
I want to make sure that you are aware of the large storage areas under the windshields? You can even store children and small adults in them!

emmabulb-640.jpg

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Bruce and @Glassman ....LOL, I was going to start a "business" with those cavernous compartments under the windshields... We used one of those for a cooler and the other for camera , phones, sun block and such... I just thought it would be nice to have a couple of those bag compartments to store lines and stuff. Then they would not be lying around on the deck and I wouldn't have to open the sundeck to get to that stuff. And maybe store a bottle or two of captain Morgan..:winkingthumbsup"

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I like the access and storage in the windshields but that will only help me with the front mounts. I may even think about adding one of the storage bags to each side of the windshield areas where others have heads installed on the larger boats. Hey, the bag and hole could even be used as a head if it had to be. I am sort of kidding

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the beckson deck plate bags that @cane.mba came up with. They are excellent and it is really great to have access to the tower through these cut outs since having the tower tight is important. I popped out the bags this morning and tightened everything up real nice after a couple of outings. I washed after I took the pictures and the magic eraser got rid of all of the marks you see around the cutout.

IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1098.jpg

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That looks really nice. I have been thinking about putting a couple of the smaller ones in since you first posted about this, I think having the extra storage would be really good, especially for passengers in the back. No need to put everyone's in the windshield compartments or the glove box.. I don't have a tower or any plans for one, I would do this just for the storage.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad it worked out! I hate suggesting ideas, never knowing what someone is going to think of them.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is a genius use of space and cosmetic cover up. Nice!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oohhh these are awesome!! Now to find a few spots for e'm.