• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Idle RPM for Scarab 190

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
My idle is 1700 rpm, which makes me go 9-12 mph, and docking is lurchy. What should the idle be set at? I'm still learning how to come into a dock safely. Having to push the lockout button on the throttle lever while standing is somewhat of a problem when trying to go really slow or reverse at a dock approach, but the high idle is bothering me.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Your idle is correct, I think it's 1750+/-50rpm.
The speed @ idle should be more around 6mph, and yes you will have to work the gate around dock & trailer.
That's were the new BRP electronic shift brings low speed boat control in a whole new world, making it so easy around dock & trailer.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an older seadoo...In mine you can move the FNR lever partially forward, resulting in speed increments from 0 to 5 based on how far you open the gate. I see the new electronic gate and wondered if that's an option...

Can you push the lever only partially forward to make your boat move at a lower speed if you desire? (Not sure if this is possible with your boat)

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Yes, I can push the shift lever incrementally to control the front/rear thrust ratio, but it's real touchy and requires multiple presses of the neutral lock button; both of which are somewhat tedious when there is current or wind or anything other than optimal conditions. My boat also has digital speed control modes, one of which is a "Docking Mode" which "limits engine power for increased maneuverability while docking". I haven't used that yet, but I suspect that it only locks in the idle RPM, rather than reduce it, which would prevent you from giving the boat a burst of reverse power to prevent hitting the dock. I will endeavor to use the old adage...."never approach a dock at a speed greater than one you are willing to hit it at" (or something like that). I also have to get used to the reverse thrust moving the boat opposite to the direction of every other boat I have owned.

patrickgrizz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Docking mode just makes it so a full throw of the throttle will only bring you up to 3500rpm. You can definitely still throw it in reverse and give a "full" thrust (it's limited anyways to only like 1inch of movement on the throttle). It's nice for forward as well because you can give it some forward throttle for maneuvering etc without worrying about accidentally slipping and giving a large burst of speed.