• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

If not Yamaha then what?

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I’ve been waiting on a 2022 252SE that is allocated but facing the possibility that it won’t arrive. If so, we’ll be left to decide if we pay even more for the 2023 version or go another direction. We don’t have a boat today so doing nothing means no boating. We have 3 boys aged 2 - 10. We want a good all around boat that will be used mostly in lakes but also want to be able go out in the Atlantic (near shore) 4-6 times a year or so. We’ll pull the boys in the lakes but not worried about wake surfing. We’ll do some fishing, especially in the ocean but nothing serious.

I’m trying to think through all of my options but not finding many that make sense considering the high prices of used boats. I’m curious what other boats would you all consider if you were in my position?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I knew from even before I purchased my 192 Yamaha 5 yrs ago that I would come to a point considering upgrading while not ruling out the possibility of exploring other boat brands.
So pre 2016, I never owned a boat before, so it was a lot to process all at once when I signed the finance contract.
Now 5 years in, definitely feel I should have gone bigger and glad I didn’t go with less. I have added upgrades that I would certainly want and expect in my next boat. By now, I have a clearer perspective of Yamaha quality and customer service. From the local service manager to the Yamaha reps at corporate.
I am very happy with how my 192 has held up, and maintained even after total engine failure and its rebuild while under full warranty.
For now, the only way I would stray from Yamaha at this point is if the wife and I decide on a cruiser type boat. Should we decide to stay in “camp bow rider” we will remain with Yamaha. I like the idea of 27 ft Yamaha but for the price point I would most likely purchase a used cruiser. Alternatively, I would much rather a 25 ft Yamaha and “rough it” than pay $120-140k. I think my experience with a 25 ft would not be too much different than a 27ft.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks @Robconn. Good insight. I agree that it’s a big jump in price for only a couple more feet of boat when going from the 25’ to the 27’. I don’t see enough value for our use case to justify that cost. My dealer has a green 255XD, or did the other week. While the extra power is appealing the higher gas price, wake series options, and that color are major detractors for me. It’s all stuff I don’t need or care about for more money. Similarly we’ve passed up purchasing two 252XE boats that came in unclaimed because the wake series options are negatives for us.

If you were to look outside of Yamaha what would you look at? Would stay with a jet boat or look at other boat types?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks @Robconn. Good insight. I agree that it’s a big jump in price for only a couple more feet of boat when going from the 25’ to the 27’. I don’t see enough value for our use case to justify that cost. My dealer has a green 255XD, or did the other week. While the extra power is appealing the higher gas price, wake series options, and that color are major detractors for me. It’s all stuff I don’t need or care about for more money. Similarly we’ve passed up purchasing two 252XE boats that came in unclaimed because the wake series options are negatives for us.

If you were to look outside of Yamaha what would you look at? Would stay with a jet boat or look at other boat types?
I have been on similar boats however their price points far surpasses Yamaha at any size. I see Yamaha as a way to to start boating for a reasonable cost while raising a family without too much financial sacrifice. Those other brand boats start out pricier and come with more options that Alternatively I could have to retro fit on my Yamaha for hopefully cheaper. I have no idea and suspect repairs on more expensive boats only get more expensive when compared to Yamaha. Those brands that come to mind are searay, cobalt, and regal. However I am no authority on their service or customer service. I have seen plenty of videos on that very subject on YouTube. I would continue to do your due diligence and search out other online forums when looking at particular models and their issues. I hope you do get what you want.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Before my 252 I went to a boat show to do my due diligence. There is nothing within 50 grand that is comparable IMO.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd try to find something as fuel efficient as the Yamaha, capable of crossing to Bimini and good looking.

Pretty sure that this boat would do, maybe just not the most efficient when it comes to fuel. Just something about it makes me want it. @ourlee
1656357566116.png

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'd go with a saltwater edition Mastercraft if I had to do it over again. NXT22 most likely.
Interesting choice. What is about the MC that you prefer of your Yamaha?

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have been on similar boats however their price points far surpasses Yamaha at any size. I see Yamaha as a way to to start boating for a reasonable cost while raising a family without too much financial sacrifice. Those other brand boats start out pricier and come with more options that Alternatively I could have to retro fit on my Yamaha for hopefully cheaper. I have no idea and suspect repairs on more expensive boats only get more expensive when compared to Yamaha. Those brands that come to mind are searay, cobalt, and regal. However I am no authority on their service or customer service. I have seen plenty of videos on that very subject on YouTube. I would continue to do your due diligence and search out other online forums when looking at particular models and their issues. I hope you do get what you want.
Thanks again. Great feedback. What we want is the 2022 252SE. I expect the 2023 models will be essentially the same boat with different color choices and cost $8-$10k more. I’ve been looking for alternatives rather than pay that increase but, as @adrianp89 said, not finding anything that compares at a reasonably similar cost.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting choice. What is about the MC that you prefer of your Yamaha?
Build quality, lack of electrical gremlins, and they don't seem to have the access to parts issue that Yamaha has. Also if/when I wanted to be able to legit surf I could easier. Otherwise it does all the stuff a yamaha does, aside from a 16" draft. However, I never beach my boat and generally stop in 3' to have people get off to head to a beach. Then anchor out in slightly deeper water.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I was shopping for a 24' bowrider today, at Yamaha's current MSRP, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Regal, Searay, Chapparal are all over much nicer boats for a much smaller premium than they were in 2017-2018.

I still love my boat, but if it sank it'd be my last Yamaha.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If I was shopping for a 24' bowrider today, at Yamaha's current MSRP, I probably wouldn't even consider it. Regal, Searay, Chapparal are all over much nicer boats for a much smaller premium than they were in 2017-2018.

I still love my boat, but if it sank it'd be my last Yamaha.
I am curious what compares in the price range of the 25'? The Sea-Ray SDX is a 150k.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I’d look at buying a previously owned Yamaha, anything else is more money than waiting.
I’ve been looking but ‘gently used’ boats are still selling for more than the MSRP when they were new. I’ve seen 2021 252 models listed for $10k more than the 2022. More than my sales contract that includes fees and tax. If it settles down after the season it may be an option but not at these prices.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Taylorman, not sure were you are at, but for the Atlantic near Delaware, I would want something with a self-bailing cockpit. Aside from Yamaha, I have Robalo's (most notably the R207/R227 dual consoles) and a lightly used Chaparral Suncoast on my potential list.

Jim

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Taylorman, not sure were you are at, but for the Atlantic near Delaware, I would want something with a self-bailing cockpit. Aside from Yamaha, I have Robalo's (most notably the R207/R227 dual consoles) and a lightly used Chaparral Suncoast on my potential list.

Jim
I’m in NC. Great advice on the self bailing cockpit. And both of those are nice boats, especially the 250 Suncoast. Losing the swim platform would be tough but probably preferable to an I/O that’s constantly in the shop.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Build quality, lack of electrical gremlins, and they don't seem to have the access to parts issue that Yamaha has. Also if/when I wanted to be able to legit surf I could easier. Otherwise it does all the stuff a yamaha does, aside from a 16" draft. However, I never beach my boat and generally stop in 3' to have people get off to head to a beach. Then anchor out in slightly deeper water.
Definitely nice boats. I’d go with a NXT24 over a 255XD if I wanted a wake boat. Assuming they aren’t going for list price it’s not much difference.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am curious what compares in the price range of the 25'? The Sea-Ray SDX is a 150k.
Found a 2019 SDX 250 in state for $119,900. Good looking boat with only 20 hours on it but it’s a 3 almost 4 year old boat for $30k more than the out the door price of the 2022 252SE 🫤

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length

I upgraded from an AR240 that was pretty much stock and didn’t do anything real well to a 252XE. It’s far from a dedicated wake boat but the appeal of having built in ballast and wake control options have really built my boys’ confidence on the water. They say buy your second boat first, so even though wake boarding and surfing aren’t on your list now, with growing boys they may be soon. I honestly was looking for a 252SD with its more adult features like swim up stern seats but I’m glad I got the X series.
68778080-3940-4C8F-A9C4-6AF2A07137D9.jpegB566AA72-ECC1-4781-A34B-8ADD48E439AB.jpeg

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I upgraded from an AR240 that was pretty much stock and didn’t do anything real well to a 252XE. It’s far from a dedicated wake boat but the appeal of having built in ballast and wake control options have really built my boys’ confidence on the water. They say buy your second boat first, so even though wake boarding and surfing aren’t on your list now, with growing boys they may be soon. I honestly was looking for a 252SD with its more adult features like swim up stern seats but I’m glad I got the X series.
View attachment 181429View attachment 181430
Beautiful boat. First time I’ve ever seen it with the Bimini top on. Looks really good. Did you buy that from Chatlee in April by chance? I had a chance to buy this same boat then but passed in part because I didn’t know about the Bimini and I know my wife wants the swim up seats. Seeing these pics I realize we could’ve been happy with it. I’m not upset I passed on the white one more recently but this black one is sharp.