• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ignition switch

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anybody have any issues with their ignition switch? Went out today and every time I tried starting my motor and turn the key all the way to the right I got nothing but if I only turned it halfway it would start every time. Gonna swap the ignitions to confirm that's where the issue is. Just seems weird. Next question is does anybody make a aftermarket switch or only yamaha ?

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My starboard side constantly loosens up so I can turn it and the entire assembly turns. I had to tighten the outside plastic nut several times to keep this from happening. Yours may be doing the same.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just replaced both my ignition switches due to my port switch having a cracked shaft resulting in it not staying in place after being tightened, similar issue to what @Kevin M experienced. The ignition switch functioned properly once held in place. I could not find a single switch, they come as a match pair from Yamanha, also could not find an aftermarket direct replacement, that is why I replaced both switches.

I kept the good switch and if you want it I would be willing to sell it to you for $50 delivered, it will come with 4 keys. From the parts diagrams it looks like the 2005 and the 2007 use the same switches.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes mine like to rotate on their own as well. I have had similar issues. Poor design!! Locking washer or SOMETHING is needed. Not sure what.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue this summer. I would turn the key and the whole assembly would turn. I would have to hold the bezel on the front to engage it. Twice the engine died while underway from the shaking I guess, I tried to tighten the front bezel and it seemed to work for a few weeks and then happened again. This time I disconnected the assembly from behind the helm tried to start it and it didn't work, I worked the key a few times and put it all back together and it has worked fine for about 5 trip since.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have mismatched ignition switches you should be able to have a locksmith rekey them alike or he can just copy the pins from the origional.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered the assembly pack. I figured if I bought yours Andy the other one would go out in the next year and I would have to buy the kit anyway. Thanks for offering

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just ordered the assembly pack. I figured if I bought yours Andy the other one would go out in the next year and I would have to buy the kit anyway. Thanks for offering
No problem. I hope you got a good deal on your switch pack. When I searched the best price I found was at 2wheelpros.com, their price was $173.85 + $6.95 shipping.

Drew Haynie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced both my ignition switches due to my port switch having a cracked shaft resulting in it not staying in place after being tightened, similar issue to what @Kevin M experienced. The ignition switch functioned properly once held in place. I could not find a single switch, they come as a match pair from Yamanha, also could not find an aftermarket direct replacement, that is why I replaced both switches.

I kept the good switch and if you want it I would be willing to sell it to you for $50 delivered, it will come with 4 keys. From the parts diagrams it looks like the 2005 and the 2007 use the same switches.
I see this is an old post- but I'll buy your spare ignition if you still have it available! One of Mine snapped in two when I attempted to tighten her down on first run of the Virginia season-text me at 757-532-8585 if still for sale-thanks!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's quite a bit for a key switch.

Anyone looked at aftermarket options? There seems to be reasonable options at the $20 level... But some splicing may be required...

Not my problem yet, but i doubt Yamaha has a key switch factory.... Seems oem pricing is a bit excessive here.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was just curious.. Mine are working on so far.