• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I'm back with twin engines but . . .

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After some discussion with the wife, we have decided to sell our 2016 Cobalt R5 and get something that better fits our plans for long boat trips. The Cobalt is a great lake boat and has done well on the Bahamas trips (Exuma and Abaco) but the amount of boat maintenance to recover from the saltwater exposure is time consuming, lately time is something that seems harder and harder to find. Also, like most bowriders the Cobalt only has a 50 gallon tank limiting the mileage between fuel stops at about 100 miles. A reason for selling that was just mine, not the wife's, is the Cobalt was my first boat with an outdrive and I absolutely hate it, I was always hitting something, in 2 years I had a prop fixed 3 times. All my previous boats were either outboards or jets and only once in 30 years of boating did I have to have a prop fixed, so the new boat has to be either a jet or outboard, so that nixed the cabin cruisers.

After a lot of thought and looking, the wife and I decided on a walkaround boat but not a big as @tim h boat. She has always wanted a full head and some place to sleep if needed and for me they typically come with outboards. Also most walkaround have a decent size fridge in the cabin, no more coolers full of ice hoping food stays cold will boating to the final destination. Since the walkaround are designed for fishing they have a large fuel tank giving them plenty of range which fits with our boating plans.

After doing a lot of research, we found a one owner well maintained 2003 Triton 2690 walkaround with twin Mercury 200hp that we really liked. The motors are original and only have 290 hours on them. For a pure fishing boat this is not the greatest, the fish box are kind of small but that is because this boat has a 200 gallon fuel tank, should give a range of about 400 miles at cruising speed. Now I can almost due a complete Bimini trip, there, back , and running around , on one tank of fuel. We will do some fishing out this boat but nothing serious so the small boxes are fine with me. Another selling point for the Triton is that it is an all composite boat, no wood anywhere.

This past weekend the wife and I went to Pensacola, Fl to test drive the boat. We were not disappointed with the boat or the owner, great people. With 4 people and a 1/4 tank of fuel (about 50 gallons) we easily ran 54 mph on the dream-o-meter and my phone GPS speed app. We were able to come to a good number on the boat and it is now mine, so now I feel like @veedubtek having multiple boats and regularly changing boats, haha. Now I've got to really sell the Cobalt, if you are interested here is my listing, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2016-cobalt-r5-103206945, it is also listed by POP Yachts for 10% higher. If someone from here is interested in my Cobalt I would definitely give them a Jetboaters.net discount.

On the trip back home with the Triton the wife and I discussed what to name her, since she's not been previously named. After some back and forth, we came up with "Guess Not". Where that came from is that our Cobalt is named "This Is It" because when we bought it we thought it might be our last boat but 2 years later I guess it isn't, hence "Guess Not" for the Triton.

Here are a few pictures of my new addition.

Just purchased and heading home.
Just purchased.jpg

From sales ad.
Side view.jpg

From sales ad. Owner has had the motors re-stickered since this picture was taken.
Stern View.jpg

From sales ad, cabin.
Cabin.jpg

From sales ad, galley. The larger right opening is for a microwave.
Galley.jpg

From sales ad, head.
Head.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice boat!

I would alter the name a little more boat-esque and call it "Guess Knot" :D

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sweet boat!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been on the Cobalt that @Andy S is selling. The fit and finish is way above that of a Yamaha, somehow the 8'6" beam feels a foot wider on the inside, super quiet, and tons of storage space. Unfortunately I can't buy another boat until we are actually living on the water, but this is a very nice boat.

@Andy S Congrats on the new boat.

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice boat!

I would alter the name a little more boat-esque and call it "Guess Knot" :D
I have tried to convince the wife of going with Knot instead of Not but see won't have it. She says the name "Guess Not" will be more of statement that way. You are more than welcome to contact her and try to convince her, however it might be like poking a badger, haha. ;) :punch: :mad:
Sweet boat!
Thanks!
I have been on the Cobalt that @Andy S is selling. The fit and finish is way above that of a Yamaha, somehow the 8'6" beam feels a foot wider on the inside, super quiet, and tons of storage space. Unfortunately I can't buy another boat until we are actually living on the water but this very nice boat.@Andy S Congrats on the new boat.
Thanks! Since your wife hasn't been on the Cobalt you won't have to worry about her wanting to upgrade, haha. ;)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great looking boat @Andy S. The beautiful condition it's in makes it appear much newer than 2003. Nice find.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great looking boat @Andy S. The beautiful condition it's in makes it appear much newer than 2003. Nice find.
Thanks, we were pleasantly surprised on the great shape of the boat for being 15 years old.
Congrats on the new ride!!!
Thanks!
I have added "Triton" to the boat make drop down for ya! (your first post said Trion....as in "Try and" convince my wife to call it "Guess Not"....LOL)
My editing skills of my own stuff is horrible. I fix the Trion error. Thanks for adding Triton to the list.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have tried to convince the wife of going with Knot instead of Not but see won't have it. She says the name "Guess Not" will be more of statement that way. You are more than welcome to contact her and try to convince her, however it might be like poking a badger, haha. ;) :punch: :mad:
:D well just tell her that everyone at the docks, marinas and coves are probably going to say "Hey (your wife's name here)...you know I was thinking, I was looking at your boat name and you should put a K on there...you know, for Knot like in tying up anchor or ropes for a boat".

So if she's fine with regurgitating the same reply then yea leave it but you and I both know any boater is likely going to have something to add about the Knot vs Not :D

In the end whatever makes momma happy right?! ...or at least happy enough to say can we get a new boat :D

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is very much a @veedubtek lite move and I say "lite" because you held your Cobalt for too long. Awesome boat Andy and it looks like it will be a great place for me to crash in Bimini this year ;). In all seriousness, you're Cobalt is a super nice boat and I sure do appreciate the memories my family has made riding on it and I made following it. Good luck with the sale Andy and I have a feeling there might be more trips to the coast in your future.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:D well just tell her that everyone at the docks, marinas and coves are probably going to say "Hey (your wife's name here)...you know I was thinking, I was looking at your boat name and you should put a K on there...you know, for Knot like in tying up anchor or ropes for a boat".

So if she's fine with regurgitating the same reply then yea leave it but you and I both know any boater is likely going to have something to add about the Knot vs Not :D

In the end whatever makes momma happy right?! ...or at least happy enough to say can we get a new boat :D
The wife said she is ready to regurgitate why. However, I might leave enough space between the Guess and Not so that if she gets tired of regurgitating the explanation i can easily add the K to not.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is very much a @veedubtek lite move and I say "lite" because you held your Cobalt for too long. Awesome boat Andy and it looks like it will be a great place for me to crash in Bimini this year ;). In all seriousness, you're Cobalt is a super nice boat and I sure do appreciate the memories my family has made riding on it and I made following it. Good luck with the sale Andy and I have a feeling there might be more trips to the coast in your future.
New boat and time for new memories.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat Andy. It's beautiful.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Grats buddy! If you're really trying to be like me, I'll buy it off of ya in 3 months ;)