• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

impeller bearings, water intrusion or replace?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since I've reprioritized my Sunday's I had some extra time and the first cool front gave me a nice day to be outside and try something I've never done before, remove the impeller shaft and check the cone bearings.

After 10 years and about 400 hours I don't have any noticeable or problematic cavitation or impeller noise.

The port side -when I took cone off I had about a teaspoon of water come out. I didn't notice anything from the starboard side.

How bad does the grease look?
With the small amount of water should I change the bearings or just put some new grease in?

Starboard side
strbrd impeller 20171015.jpg
strbrd impeller bearing 20171015.jpg

port side
port impeller 20171015.jpg
port impeller bearing 20171015.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since I've reprioritized my Sunday's I had some extra time and the first cool front gave me a nice day to be outside and try something I've never done before, remove the impeller shaft and check the cone bearings.

After 10 years and about 400 hours I don't have any noticeable or problematic cavitation or impeller noise.

The port side -when I took cone off I had about a teaspoon of water come out. I didn't notice anything from the starboard side.

With the small amount of water should I change the bearings or just put some new grease in?

Starboard side
View attachment 65241
View attachment 65242

port side
View attachment 65243
View attachment 65244
That grease looks pretty good on the port side, and strbd is perfect.
I would not worry about the bearings if the shafts are moving nice and smooth.
@Bruce knows this best, maybe he can chime in.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Scott, this is my bearing change post which will help you understand that you can not access the forward bearings to grease them https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-yamaha-jet-boat-pump-duct-housing-bearings-and-switching-to-oil-bath-lubrication.10155/

I changed my bearings when I found less water than you did. But I have greater concern about the possibility of failure in the ocean.

@Murf'n'surf had a very expensive experience when a bearing failed forcing replacement of many parts.

What is your boats top speed? I would replace the impellers as well. I have a pair of much better looking used impellers on the shelf. When I replaced them with new impellers my boat gained 1 mph.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of your seals is probably starting to go bad. I think you are ok to repack and get on with the next season. If your bearings are dragging or slightly noisy while turning the impeller by hand then go ahead and change out the bearings and seals. You’ve gotten quite a few years out of them....fresh water helps immensely!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a pair of much better looking used impellers on the shelf. When I replaced them with new impellers my boat gained 1 mph.
looks like I will need to make another trip in Hot Springs.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Starboard side
View attachment 65241
View attachment 65242

port side
View attachment 65243
View attachment 65244
Not sure how related this is, but did not find this anywhere else. 2005 ar230. Bilge runs quite often as we have it in a marina. Keep it plugged in. Had a boat Mechanic check it out as I thought it might be one of the plugs as I read here. Backed it in the water and he located the leak as the impeller shaft bellos/ hose.. lots of goop at the joint so it has been leaking. Says needing to take the shaft out and have fiberglass work done...?? Not an inexpensive operation and he was not real sure what fiberglass work needed to be done. Advise?

Attachments

Ottawa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Scott, this is my bearing change post which will help you understand that you can not access the forward bearings to grease them https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-yamaha-jet-boat-pump-duct-housing-bearings-and-switching-to-oil-bath-lubrication.10155/

I changed my bearings when I found less water than you did. But I have greater concern about the possibility of failure in the ocean.

@Murf'n'surf had a very expensive experience when a bearing failed forcing replacement of many parts.

What is your boats top speed? I would replace the impellers as well. I have a pair of much better looking used impellers on the shelf. When I replaced them with new impellers my boat gained 1 mph.
Did you replace with OEM ? I’m thinking of changing mine with aftermarket

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you replace with OEM ? I’m thinking of changing mine with aftermarket
I used aftermarket bearings. I may have documented the source in the thread.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how related this is, but did not find this anywhere else. 2005 ar230. Bilge runs quite often as we have it in a marina. Keep it plugged in. Had a boat Mechanic check it out as I thought it might be one of the plugs as I read here. Backed it in the water and he located the leak as the impeller shaft bellos/ hose.. lots of goop at the joint so it has been leaking. Says needing to take the shaft out and have fiberglass work done...?? Not an inexpensive operation and he was not real sure what fiberglass work needed to be done. Advise?
@Lookingforajetboat, I think that the problem you're having is likely due to a poorly sealed drive shaft. I had the problem with my 2015 fresh out of the factory. At the time it was under warranty, and two dealers both said "they all leak" and dismissed the issue. I'm guessing that leaky driveshafts have been an issue for many years. They ended up fixing it under warranty, and the fix did not require fiberglass work. They just pulled the shafts and resealed the rubber hose that encloses it between the outer shell and the engine compartment. Good luck!

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lookingforajetboat, I think that the problem you're having is likely due to a poorly sealed drive shaft. I had the problem with my 2015 fresh out of the factory. At the time it was under warranty, and two dealers both said "they all leak" and dismissed the issue. I'm guessing that leaky driveshafts have been an issue for many years. They ended up fixing it under warranty, and the fix did not require fiberglass work. They just pulled the shafts and resealed the rubber hose that encloses it between the outer shell and the engine compartment. Good luck!
The pic below is the location. At the bottom of the plug rubes, toward the front of the boat. Is this the same thing...sounds like it. One mechanic said it's over a days work so a grand plus....does not seem right from my research on this site....thanks, steve

Attachments

Yamabro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
It could be a few different things but the most often issue that we find at the Shop is alignment issues with the glass layup. The driveshaft ends up rubbing the through hull/ pump tunnel and causes a leak point. Not really a hard fix but does require removal of the jet pump and the through hull rubber tube.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pic below is the location. At the bottom of the plug rubes, toward the front of the boat. Is this the same thing...sounds like it. One mechanic said it's over a days work so a grand plus....does not seem right from my research on this site....thanks, steve
@Lookingforajetboat, yes that's where mine leaked. Both the port and the starboard hoses leaked. The dealer showed the hose to me and the sealant just peeled off of it. They called it a sealant failure. I have a theory that Yamaha has been using the wrong kind of silicone sealant on their boats over the years. They seem to be using a product that is similar to the peel-away glue that is used to stick a credit card to paper when it is mailed to you, as opposed to the type of silicone that is nearly impossible to remove after it cures. I came to this theory when I removed the storage tray located behind the throttle levers. It was sealed, but the clear sealant peeled off just like the credit card stuff.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So is there a seal that needs to be replaced...?
Until you pull the pump and get a look from the other side all we are doing is guessing. You need to pull that pump. Then take a look and get pictures.