• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller shaft question. (Possible damage)

Barker29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hey guys,
I’m new to the forum been lurking around researching for a couple months. I recently bought my first jet drive boat a 2003 Yamaha SR 230. I just pulled my pumps and impeller shaft to replace my impellers and wear ring housing. When I pulled the shaft I found what appears to be damage caused by something riding on the impeller shaft (see picture). I have identical damage to both impeller shafts. I’ve researched and researched and have not been able to nail down exactly what should be riding on the shaft in the location of the damage. My fear is that this is the location the intermediate bearing rides which means I have a lot more work ahead of me and a lot more money to shell out. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's probably where the seals ride on. I would clean the shaft as best you can and put it back together. Finest steel wool and you will be good.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did the bearings look inside the cone? Be sure to grease that well. I cheat and add a little gear oil in there to keep the bearings lubricated. No idea if it helps, but makes me feel like there is additional lubrication.

Barker29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
That’s one thing I’m a little concerned about... one of the bearings had some water intrusion however the bearings spin free and sound good so I’m thinking about just cleaning it up the best I can and using new grease/oil. I heard a lot of good things about the EPNOC grease that people were saying is a mixture of grease and gear oil. And I purchased new o-rings for the cups.