• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impellers

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I took my boat out of storage yesterday and after installing the battery, Big Blue fired right up. I hooked up water and ran each engine for a couple of minutes.

My question is, has anyone replaced their impellers on a boat that has the originals in it? So mine have been on for 15 years. I'm wondering if they are going to be locked on the shaft after all these years? Should I replace them? What other parts should I replace while I have it apart?

I'm going to use Solas impellers. Going to go with a Solas yd-cd-12/18 Concord for better low end thrust.

Any comments or suggestions?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the originals giving you problems or do you just want the upgraded feature? Our FAQ has details about changing impellers but I believe most of the posts are for the 4stroke boats but they give you some good insight of the process.

If they give you any resistance it may be easier to take the entire shaft assembly to a pwc shop and have them remove the impeller unless you're equipped enough to cut it off if needed (then you risk damaging the shaft and adding that as an impeller change expense).

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I did find a good post on the internet, that made it look really easy.
I'm just looking to upgrade. I've had the boat 3 years, and it was bought as a project boat. Runs like a champ, so now I've just been looking at different things to do.
I looked at them yesterday and they do have nicks in them, I mean after 15 years you would expect that.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fresh impellers would likely make a positive change.

Have a look at http://www.islandracing.net/lslx.html and I place a call to @ISLANDRACING to talk about impeller options.

Removing the impellers is likely to be difficult. You will need a spline tool, a substantial vice, a big wrench a long cheater bar. There are lots of fun stories and a few videos documenting how difficult than can be to free.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you upgrade your oil lines yet? I don't know anything about 2 strokes other than to ask that question,

In theory it is easy. Dings are expected (my impellers look terrible aesthetically but don't cause me any problems) I'm more of a don't fix it unless it broke kind of person but if you want more low end and it gets you out of the house, go for it, just have a plan if they are stuck,

update your profile with your location and maybe their is a member close by that could help if you do run into trouble.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Yes, oil lines are new and the oil pump works. I also pulled both exhaust last year, did a super cleaning and then added strainers. This was one of t he best things I could do for my boat. I tend to get a lot of junk sucked up.

I'm still on the fence about the impellers, but if I do it, I'll docment it and add to the thread

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had Group K impelers on my LX2000 and my Exciter, They use different impellers on each side to keep the motors at the right RPMs. Always worked perfectly. http://www.groupk.com/yjetboat.htm

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling, did you upgrade impellers?
I never did on the exciter, just on my ss. I did both sides with 14/20 solas but it is just a bit too much and probably needs to be 14/19.
Groupk is awesome with the 2 smoke stuff and really were knowledgeable when i talked to them