• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

In the market for a ski, new vs. used, SeaDoo vs. Yamaha, etc. etc. EDIT-Found it!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Fx ho cruisers are my favorite

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought a 2006 FX HO Cruiser and love it. I just put a riva air filter in and gained 3 mph. The original filter had some oil in it and I was only able to max out at 58mph. With the new air filter I hit 61mph. I think my 14year old put 8 hours on it this weekend pulling tubers and knee boarders. I really like that it has the same MR1 engine that my 2010 212x does. It doesn't have the nano hull either which I think is a plus. My neighbor at the lake just bought a used FX SHO and he already has a hole in the nano hull. He didn't realize that you can't fiberglass (must be epoxy??) the nano and had the patch come apart on the water.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes, the VX bow plows through the water when you are at no wake speed, and can lead to a wet ride and water in the footwells until you are on plane.

My FIL has a SeaDoo RXT260 (2015 I believe). Yesterday we rode for about 3-3.5hrs, he went through a full tank, I burned through maybe 8 gallons. Yes, he’s quicker, but not football fields quicker.

Also due to the low riding nose, I try not to fill my tank (18.5 gallons) to more than 80%, and I had a pump wedge installed to “trim up” a bit.

Can’t speak to the FX, maybe Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC, can provide some feedback between how the VX and FX ride/handle.

The new upper end Sea Doos do have a lot of nice features that VX line doesn’t have, hinged seat for engine access, the forward storage compartment can easily be accessed from the “drivers seat”, trim, the inter lock accessory system.

Between riding the two, I can share this:
VX HO, more linear throttle, nicer exhaust note (4 cylinders vs 3), more playful handling.
SeaDoo S3 Hull, drier heavier ride, faster acceleration, nicer display, and I like their security key over the Yamaha “car remote”.
Thanks for the feedback, nice to hear from someone with real world experience with both.

If the bow is out of the water at plane then no big deal, my SeaDoo did that at times too. I did not realize there was that much of a fuel efficiency disparity between brands. I had a supercharged SeaDoo and didn’t think it was particularly bad on gas at all and would not have burned a full tank in 3-3.5 hours that I recall but usually didn’t ride nearly that long all at once. As Ronnie said above, I don’t care so much about the cost as much as the hassle, though marina fuel pricing would get expensive quickly.

I did like the gauges and “key” on my SeaDoo as well and noticed the differences on the VX model. I’m sure I’ll manage and if I really want fancy I can get a small chartplotter or something.

I sure wish the dealers had some inventory so I could compare the FX and VX models. I have had my eye on a 2017 FX HO with 12 hours on it for $13,500. It seems high to me so I haven’t contacted him yet. If I could get that for $11k it would be a decent buy but at full asking price, it seems too close to new. NADA shows $10,300 to $11,600 including trailer. It’s not my favorite color either so that’s also a drawback.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Not sure if anybody is still reading this but it’s good documentation for myself as well. 😅

Contacted the seller on the 2017 FX HO above for $13,500 and no response, shocker. Also located a 2017 VX Cruiser HO for $7500 but the woman refuses to make any effort to allow me to see it (seems to be at her vacation home), doesn’t know how many hours are on it and just generally is a pain in the ass to deal with. It seems the same idiot buyers I am dealing with when selling things are just as bad at selling as they are at buying.

My wife continues to tell me I am ”chasing after other people’s junk” and to just buy a new one. I called two dealers today who nearly didn’t let me finish my sentence when I asked what they had in stock. Both told me they were not expecting more VX or HO models until March or April, and one said they were already taking deposits on them. I’m guessing at this point if there even is a boat show I won’t be making any deals buying a PWC there either.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still subscribed... WOW - 7-8 months out for new inventory with the 1.8L engine (HO)? Really wonder how that fits into the ~10 new waverunner models that Yamaha is supposed to announce on the the 12th.

That’s bizarre that someone post something for sale, but then makes little to no effort to broker the actual sale. It would seem to me that $7.5k for a ‘17 VX Cruiser HO is a fair price if it checks out condition and maintenance wise. (Its also new enough that there might be the balance of the YES warranty on it - if you get the HIN, you can call Yamaha and inquire on warranty status).

Your search for a ski has some parallels to our search for a new fridge - right now many of them are anywhere from a 2-6 week lead time - not very helpful when your current one has crapped out... Crazy times!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still watching too.

I can’t get a repairman to come look at my fridge. He said he’ll get to it when he can, as he knows I can’t buy a new one right now.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Still subscribed... WOW - 7-8 months out for new inventory with the 1.8L engine (HO)? Really wonder how that fits into the ~10 new waverunner models that Yamaha is supposed to announce on the the 12th.

That’s bizarre that someone post something for sale, but then makes little to no effort to broker the actual sale. It would seem to me that $7.5k for a ‘17 VX Cruiser HO is a fair price if it checks out condition and maintenance wise. (Its also new enough that there might be the balance of the YES warranty on it - if you get the HIN, you can call Yamaha and inquire on warranty status).

Your search for a ski has some parallels to our search for a new fridge - right now many of them are anywhere from a 2-6 week lead time - not very helpful when your current one has crapped out... Crazy times!
Yeah I really don't think this shortage of inventory is going to end anytime soon. I'm wondering when the buying frenzy starts to wind down as fall approaches in my area. I am also curious as to how the new models will affect used as well. I am targeting 2015+ since it has RIDE and some other bells and whistles but I don't really see myself wanting to fight a crowd and overpay for a 2021 model if this rush continues regardless of what is added to the new models. I really want to buy the VX Cruiser HO but don't want to have to harass the woman into letting me see it. I'm trying to walk a fine line in pestering her and not being too overbearing. Crazy you have to beat somebody's door down to give them full asking price--almost makes me think it's too good to be true and not worth the hassle.

I did receive a response on the 2017 FX HO Cruiser for $13,500, it looks like some sort of broker and they seem to only want to come down to $12,500. That is still above NADA Guides values so I'm out on that one I guess. Apparently he's "not in a rush to sell" but the season is coming to a close here in another few weeks so he may end up holding it through the winter if he keeps to the high price. At $13,500 you're better off going new for $2500 more or whatever it is even at MSRP with trailer.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Handful of updates just to entertain myself and anyone still following. I kept on the VX Cruiser HO woman who didn't want to make any attempt to sell it and as expected, she probably just sold it to whoever was at the top of her inbox when she got to her vacation house. I was pretty pissed off because my wife got so tired of hearing about it she decided to message the woman and got a response before I did that sale was pending despite me messaging her within hours of listing it and keeping on her nearly every day without a response. I was pretty bummed I missed that one because it had 26 hours on it and the 1.8L engine.

I pretty much gave up on the year after that one but was bored working my one on call shift yesterday and decided to casually browse Craigslist. I found a 2016 VX Deluxe with the TR-1 engine for $7900 with 49 hours on it with a shockingly responsive and honest seller. I made plans to go see it, cash in my pocket but had a change in plans at the last minute and couldn't go yesterday and the seller and I now won't be able to meet until Wednesday. Now that I've had more time to think about it, I had myself convinced I wanted the 1.8L engine over the TR-1. I know the TR-1 is a very good motor and the successor to the two MR-1s I've had in my boat and am very happy with so far. Top speed on this ski seems to be around 53 which is probably fine, I'm just not sure if I will miss the acceleration I had in my blown SeaDoo before. Considering there is a so/so chance this will become a second/my wife's ski and I already have a boat, it's probably fine but I don't want to regret going with the smaller engine. Anyone have a WaveRunner with the TR-1? Most of what I can find is in boats and there seems to be very little in the way of performance mods--not that I would mod it but nobody on GreenHulk seems to go with or know much about them because seems like that's all most of them care about.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bummer about the VX Cruiser HO!!

Per what I have from Boattest.com
VX Cruiser HO (1.8L) - 0 to 30 in 1.8 seconds
VX Cruiser Limited (TR1) - 0 to 30 in 2.4 seconds

Can’t tell if you that 0.6 seconds or 33% longer will leave you without a smile on your face, I would suggest that you arrange for a water test when you meet up. Also, check out the seat for tears, as they way you access the engine, has caused some wear on my seats...

Per RivaRacing, they sell a Stage 1 kit for the EX with the TR1 for $1700. You’d have to confirm if those parts or similiar parts would work with the VX.
AB3160BC-1417-4965-836F-701BE9035612.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On vacation last week we took a Spark and Spark Trixx. They were a BLAST!!! Lightweight, nimble and got up to 49mph. I've rode the larger ski's but they're just not as fun for me. Too big & heavy it seems like. If I were to get one it would be one of the Sparks.

2017 SeaDoo Spark Trixx - boats - by owner - marine sale

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Before we purchased ours I was looking for a Spark 3-up Trixx. Couldn't find one so I settled for speed.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Welp, deja vu--the VX sold too. I'm not sure how it could sell given that the seller told me he wasn't available today, but it was available this morning so obviously he showed it to somebody this afternoon. This is getting pretty ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions on the TR-1, I guess this one wasn't meant to be either.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm secretly buying every one you look at. :cool:
Welp, deja vu--the VX sold too. I'm not sure how it could sell given that the seller told me he wasn't available today, but it was available this morning so obviously he showed it to somebody this afternoon. This is getting pretty ridiculous.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm secretly buying every one you look at. :cool:
I don’t see how because I haven’t been able to look at a single damned one yet. 😂

I haven’t even touched a Yamaha waverunner since 2009 when I looked at them new in the showroom. I would go look at one if I could.:mad:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, pretty sure I’ve seen that one but I think the price was higher before. So far I’ve missed the following:

2015 VX Deluxe with 60 hours for $6500–sold in hours
2017 VX Limited with 60 hours for $9000
2017 VX Cruiser HO with 26 hours for $7500 — I’m still pissed off about missing this one
2017 VX Deluxe with 49 hours for $7900

I’ve seen the new 2021 lineup released this morning and I’m looking at $13k+ for anything I’d really want and I just don’t think I can justify that for the amount of usage I expect. So based on that and the ones I’ve missed I’m thinking I should be able to find a clean 2016+ VX in the $7500 range eventually. The only thing on the radar right now is a 2019 VX Limited with the TR-1 and 49 hours on it for $10k. Given the 2016-2019 hasn’t really appeared to have changed much, I’m not inclined to pay more for the same thing when they are probably in the same condition.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I found my new toy. 2018 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO with 30 hours on it. It is *almost* as mint as I would’ve kept it, one small scratch that’s barely visible and some fading on the sponsons and rear grab handle behind the seat. Hoping I can get those back to black, otherwise it’s in great shape. It was 3 hours there, 4.5 hours back (yay vacation traffic).

After I got the word on Saturday night it was mine and it didn’t have a trailer, I drove thirty minutes to a used trailer that I had kept an eye on in case this situation came up. The Waverunner seller had a place on the water and had no need for a trailer so I had to source my own and I had to get it Sunday or wait two weeks for them to be back to the vacation home, so that meant no time to search for a new one and I knew it would sell despite my $500 deposit sent via PayPal. I worked in the garage on a not-so-roadworthy trailer Saturday night I bought for five hundred bucks (was asking $800!) until 11 PM fixing bunks, rewiring and replacing all lights, etc. It has great bones but the wear items pretty much all need replacing. I need to figure out how far to go on this thing before just dumping it and getting a new one.

I set off Sunday morning for the 300 mile round trip around 7 AM and had to stop twice to fix the empty trailer I was towing. FYI industrial zip ties are very useful to keep rotten bunks with completely rusted out/falling-out-on-the-way lag screws. 😅 I had an entire bag of tools for just about any what if, two brand new wheels and tires just in case, ratchet straps, the works. Fortunately all I needed was one screwdriver and several zip ties.

I test drove it for a few minutes and had it out yesterday for about an hour before nearly running out of fuel since I was so excited I completely forgot to even check the fuel gauge. It is fast and I'm really glad I waited for one powered by the 1.8L motor. It's not *quite* as fast as my old supercharged SeaDoo but it's pretty close and I don't worry about supercharger maintenance or "chopping the throttle" and causing washer issues. It is also quite a bit more nimble than the SeaDoo was, being slightly narrower. I've only had it out twice, but I've found that you can remain fairly dry if you so desire but it is clearly light (ish) and can get bumpy in the chop and you can get as wet as you want as well. The handling is very impressive. Overall I think it's a happy medium between ride, power, reliability, handling, and just plain fun.

C79D212B-B7FA-45EE-9DF6-C53D206DFA4A.jpeg

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a 2006 FX HO Cruiser and love it. I just put a riva air filter in and gained 3 mph. The original filter had some oil in it and I was only able to max out at 58mph. With the new air filter I hit 61mph. I think my 14year old put 8 hours on it this weekend pulling tubers and knee boarders. I really like that it has the same MR1 engine that my 2010 212x does. It doesn't have the nano hull either which I think is a plus. My neighbor at the lake just bought a used FX SHO and he already has a hole in the nano hull. He didn't realize that you can't fiberglass (must be epoxy??) the nano and had the patch come apart on the water.
Not bad for a 14 year-old ski, huh? ;)

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I found my new toy. 2018 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO with 30 hours on it. It is *almost* as mint as I would’ve kept it, one small scratch that’s barely visible and some fading on the sponsons and rear grab handle behind the seat. Hoping I can get those back to black, otherwise it’s in great shape. It was 3 hours there, 4.5 hours back (yay vacation traffic).

After I got the word on Saturday night it was mine and it didn’t have a trailer, I drove thirty minutes to a used trailer that I had kept an eye on in case this situation came up. The Waverunner seller had a place on the water and had no need for a trailer so I had to source my own and I had to get it Sunday or wait two weeks for them to be back to the vacation home, so that meant no time to search for a new one and I knew it would sell despite my $500 deposit sent via PayPal. I worked in the garage on a not-so-roadworthy trailer Saturday night I bought for five hundred bucks (was asking $800!) until 11 PM fixing bunks, rewiring and replacing all lights, etc. It has great bones but the wear items pretty much all need replacing. I need to figure out how far to go on this thing before just dumping it and getting a new one.

I set off Sunday morning for the 300 mile round trip around 7 AM and had to stop twice to fix the empty trailer I was towing. FYI industrial zip ties are very useful to keep rotten bunks with completely rusted out/falling-out-on-the-way lag screws. 😅 I had an entire bag of tools for just about any what if, two brand new wheels and tires just in case, ratchet straps, the works. Fortunately all I needed was one screwdriver and several zip ties.

I test drove it for a few minutes and had it out yesterday for about an hour before nearly running out of fuel since I was so excited I completely forgot to even check the fuel gauge. It is fast and I'm really glad I waited for one powered by the 1.8L motor. It's not *quite* as fast as my old supercharged SeaDoo but it's pretty close and I don't worry about supercharger maintenance or "chopping the throttle" and causing washer issues. It is also quite a bit more nimble than the SeaDoo was, being slightly narrower. I've only had it out twice, but I've found that you can remain fairly dry if you so desire but it is clearly light (ish) and can get bumpy in the chop and you can get as wet as you want as well. The handling is very impressive. Overall I think it's a happy medium between ride, power, reliability, handling, and just plain fun.

View attachment 131503
Very cool! Congrats on locating and procuring your new toy! Hope you have lots of fun an enjoyment out of it. Really like the color. When I first saw the pic, I though to myself, wow, that trailer looks rough for a 2018 ski with 30 hours...then I read your post. Glad it worked out for you. My handles behind the 3rd seat, as well as between the handlebars is faded. Looks like sunblock is the culprit in my case. Let us know if you figure out how to get them back to a “new” luster.

BTW - I had my “visibility spout” disconnect, as on breezy days it lead to frequently getting sprayed in the back...