• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

In this specific case, is it worth going diesel?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, a bunch of you are going to roll your eyes, and say, "he's not even lookin' at a real diesel", and that's ok.
I'm thinking about buying a new 2017 SUV (Land Rover Discovery, the big one, not the "Sport" model) that has two engine choices. Of course the diesel is more money, but that's not a major factor for me in terms of initial purchase.
Here are the specs (no mpg posted yet because it hasn't been released to the NA market):
upload_2017-1-16_13-35-16.png

I'll be towing the boat a handful times a year, probably up to 8 hours through the Rockies- Shorelandr' trailer brakes really work well so far. The rest of the time, I'll be driving in the city.
Any initial thoughts on the two options, or do I need to see mpg ratings before making a decision?
The vehicle is supposed to have a towing capacity of 8200 lbs.
I'm kind of thinking that I might really appreciate the lower stress level of towing up hill in the mountains with the diesel. I figure that the supercharged 6 cylinder gas engine might sound like it's ready to send a piston through the hood. A downside is that I'm not sure how readily available diesel is in Alberta, British Columbia, and all along the drive from Calgary to Houston to Fort Lauderdale.
My current vehicle is a 2wd Durango R/T (Hemi), and I've never ever had to use more than 2/3 throttle while towing my 2015 AR240. I think that it has a tow rating of 7600 lbs, but I've never used it on mountain roads.

One feature... if I forget to hit the brakes while backing down the ramp:
upload_2017-1-16_13-44-49.png

Joking aside, any thoughts about which engine is better for me?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you really want to own a Tata then I believe the extra torque of the diesel would be nice for towing.

I see this as comparable to a Q7/Tuareg. How does it compare in pricing and dealer support?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I didn't really consider Audi or VW, even though my first car was a VW Scirocco, and my favorite car of all time was my '85 Porsche 928S. My brother recently got screwed over by Audi in Canada with his Q5 brakes rotting out.
I was under the impression that Land Rover/Jaguar had improved significantly since being owned by Tata.
As far as dealership support goes, in terms of Calgary, it's a wash, no difference, but if we run into problems while on the road, that would be a different story.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... and if I really wanted a diesel, can't get'em in 2017 from VW/Audi

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I have not seen the newest land rover design until you posted it. Who's taking who's design?! First thing I thought of on you picture was an explorer. Crazy how similar they look. I remember when ford owned Land Rover a few years back the front ends of the explorer looked somewhat the same.

IMG_1073.PNG IMG_1074.PNG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... and if I really wanted a diesel, can't get'em in 2017 from VW/Audi
How about a GL350 Bluetec then? Does it have to be a 2017?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about a GL350 Bluetec then? Does it have to be a 2017?
Doesn't have to be a 2017. Doesn't have to be new either. I hadn't considered the GL350. I remember really liking the GL when I first saw it around 15 years ago. I'll see what the Calgary market looks like for that one. Thanks @Bruce

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... the transmission on my 928S was a Benz... went through two of 'em

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gas vs diesel for towing is not even a fair question. As far as Land Rover, the TD6 is really the Lion 6 of Ford/Peugeot/Citroen (aka AJD-V6), been around for a long time, don't see how you could go wrong.

But, if you are worried about the reliability of Audi, not sure how you feel about Land Rover.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gas vs diesel for towing is not even a fair question. As far as Land Rover, the TD6 is really the Lion 6 of Ford/Peugeot/Citroen (aka AJD-V6), been around for a long time, don't see how you could go wrong.

But, if you are worried about the reliability of Audi, not sure how you feel about Land Rover.

--
I guess that there's a difference between problems that are covered under warranty and problems that should be covered under warranty, but the manufacturer denies coverage. My brother ran into brake problems with his 2013/4 Q5 brakes after two winters. Audi told him that he was driving the vehicle in conditions that were too harsh (to and from work). I dunno, unless people start holding companies accountable for poor customer/product support, why would they bother changing their ways?
I don't know about Land Rover's current quality.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not seen the newest land rover design until you posted it. Who's taking who's design?! First thing I thought of on you picture was an explorer. Crazy how similar they look. I remember when ford owned Land Rover a few years back the front ends of the explorer looked somewhat the same.

View attachment 50024 View attachment 50025
You're right @GiddYupJoe ... The first time I saw the current model Explorer, I immediately thought "wow, that's nice" then figured that Ford definitely walked away with something from the time that they owned Land Rover.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked the Calgary Auto Trader. Seems to be more Bluetec GLs for sale than I expected. I'm suspicious, ... or should I just be happy?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... the transmission on my 928S was a Benz... went through two of 'em
Was the engine upgraded? I have not heard of many Porsche transmission issues. I did burn a clutch out around 55K on my 968.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just checked the Calgary Auto Trader. Seems to be more Bluetec GLs for sale than I expected. I'm suspicious, ... or should I just be happy?
Something like 40% of all GLs are Bluetecs. I believe 2013 introduced a new, faster Bluetec.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This same motor will be going into the F150 next year. Don't know what the power output will be yet, but it seems to be a well proven motor.

@MrMoose from what I gather from talking to people and the reading and researching I do, the maintenance cost on MB is crazy high. That may be why so many of them have been dumped by the first owners and are on the market.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 50024 View attachment 50025
Ford did the same thing to Aston Martin... Look at the styling of the front of their cars, especially the Fusion. @GiddYupJoe

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been in love with Land Rover for many years always wanted a defender 90 and almost bought a discovery back in 04 but I was always terrified by there reliabilty record i sure hope it has changed as you mentioned if so I maybe back in the market. I agree with the Explorer comment when I saw the pic I thought to my self they are making a diesel Explorer and why is it under water? Then I read lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ford did the same thing to Aston Martin... Look at the styling of the front of their cars, especially the Fusion. @GiddYupJoe
Aston Martin, Range Rover, and lets ALSO not forget they made Jaguar XJ look like Taur-ass. Crimes against humanity?

--