• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Infinity 6100M Mic Replacment Fix

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple years back the handheld mic for my Infinity 6100m got thrown away. Come to find out its not replaceable, and I can't use the sound system without it. Here's the up side though, I'm an electrical engineer, and I found some schematics of the sound system. After looking at them, I can tell you that the handheld mic has a decent amount of electronics in it that take the input from the mic and combine it with the music signal. The amount of work it would be to reproduce this circuit wouldn't be worth it, even for myself.
But, what I can do with little work, is make a circuit that turns the unit on, and passes the music signal through to the speakers. This makes it so you can control it's volume with the main radio head unit. The whole installation would be just plugging a little device into the GX16-8 plug where the mic used to be and you're all set.
Anyway, if there is any interest in this then let me know and I'll order some circuit boards.

Hunbali

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Can you describe your solution for replacing the mic? I’m having issues with my mic and would like to replace it even if it is just a turn on/off and volume control. Can you list the parts that needed and a small description on the procedure? I’m happy to give a try to make your suggested circuit.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have the same problem - cannot find a microphone to operate the speakers. Interested in this bypass rather than buying a whole new system.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A couple years back the handheld mic for my Infinity 6100m got thrown away. Come to find out its not replaceable, and I can't use the sound system without it. Here's the up side though, I'm an electrical engineer, and I found some schematics of the sound system. After looking at them, I can tell you that the handheld mic has a decent amount of electronics in it that take the input from the mic and combine it with the music signal. The amount of work it would be to reproduce this circuit wouldn't be worth it, even for myself.
But, what I can do with little work, is make a circuit that turns the unit on, and passes the music signal through to the speakers. This makes it so you can control it's volume with the main radio head unit. The whole installation would be just plugging a little device into the GX16-8 plug where the mic used to be and you're all set.
Anyway, if there is any interest in this then let me know and I'll order some circuit boards.
Bob - I am interested in this bypass circuit board - I have the same system and my microphone doesn't work either. I would like to try this first rather than replacing the system.

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should check this site more often. Ok, so basically here's what going on, my circuit is able to fit inside of the body of a GX16-8 plug as illustrated in the pictures. You would just plug it into where the microphone used to be.
Here is the part that I'm not sure applies to everyone. My stereo runs its sound to a silver volume control knob on my dash then to the Infinity 6100m so I can control the tower speakers independently from the rest of the boat. As you can imagine this comes in pretty handy, but it is not necessary if you don't happen to have the silver volume control knob in your boat.
Anyway, I'll make a few of these and place them on a platform like amazon or ebay for like $25. Hows that sound?

Attachments

murfga

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should check this site more often. Ok, so basically here's what going on, my circuit is able to fit inside of the body of a GX16-8 plug as illustrated in the pictures. You would just plug it into where the microphone used to be.
Here is the part that I'm not sure applies to everyone. My stereo runs its sound to a silver volume control knob on my dash then to the Infinity 6100m so I can control the tower speakers independently from the rest of the boat. As you can imagine this comes in pretty handy, but it is not necessary if you don't happen to have the silver volume control knob in your boat.
Anyway, I'll make a few of these and place them on a platform like amazon or ebay for like $25. Hows that sound?

I would be very interested in this as well. My microphone has the controls on it. 2011 AR240

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, sorry this took so long, but I finally got the ad up on amazon. Let me know if there are any questions.

ChrisWarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Other
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

ChrisWarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Other
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey Bob, I also joined after seeing this thread/post. I have the mic but the boiled cord has deteriorated. There was a crack in the top portion of the cord so I spliced it together and all I get is feedback, sometimes it works but most it does not. Is there any hope in salvaging the mic? I have called multiple electrical repair places and they laugh more than anything else.

viper1964

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the same issue. Much of the rubber has literally fallen off of the mic cord. Now there's a short so sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't. As I really like the PA option, for communicating with wakeboarders, is there any way to replace the microphone cord? (In the meantime, I have ordered your bypass plug so I can still use my tower speakers.) Thanks!

sbarger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bob, The volume on the tower speakers on my setup is controlled on the Microphone. How will I control the volume with this plug? I will gladly buy it if I can figure the volume out!

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the delay, I was at Lake Powell (AKA heaven) for the last few days and it was awesome as always. Now to answer some questions.
First off is the problem with the cords of the infinity system. Whats funny is my wife was the one that threw our mic away because the cord looked like such garbage so I completely understand the issue. That being said, I think that I could maybe build a replamnet cord which would salvage the mic and all it's options. I have some schematics and pictures that I can go from but I don't have a mic anymore so we'll see how far I can get. As for those of you that bought a mic replacement plug, they have been sent. I tested them on my boat first to be sure they work, but let me know if there are any issues. When reading the schematics I did notice that there are two versions of the Infinity 6100m circuit board , and the plug is made to work with my version, but if I remember right the other versions doesn't have a microphone so we should be good.

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bob, The volume on the tower speakers on my setup is controlled on the Microphone. How will I control the volume with this plug? I will gladly buy it if I can figure the volume out!
Hey sbarger, This is a good question. So right now if you installed the mic bypass plug I made it would send the signals from your radio straight through to the amp. This means that whatever volume your radio is at the amp will follow suit. This works okay, but is inconvenient and at times annoying. However, the solution is simple and cheap. You can buy a remote volume knob that is placed between the signal of the radio to the Amp (see awesome drawing below). You can mount it to the dash somewhere like mine is (see picture), and control the volume to the back speakers from there. Here is a link to a product like what I'm talking about. (Disclaimer! I have not tried this specific product to see if it works, its just an example... but it should work.)

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t believe this post. I’ve been looking all summer for somebody that could replace the cord on my mic. It’s falling apart too. Electronic shops in my area are simply parts swappers now. Nobody repairs circuit boards and cords anymore. Everything still works, but the rubber is simply falling off. Is there anybody that’s successfully replaced their mic cord? I’d love to hear who, how, when, where. Or better yet, how much $ do you want to fix mine. 😄

sbarger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey sbarger, This is a good question. So right now if you installed the mic bypass plug I made it would send the signals from your radio straight through to the amp. This means that whatever volume your radio is at the amp will follow suit. This works okay, but is inconvenient and at times annoying. However, the solution is simple and cheap. You can buy a remote volume knob that is placed between the signal of the radio to the Amp (see awesome drawing below). You can mount it to the dash somewhere like mine is (see picture), and control the volume to the back speakers from there. Here is a link to a product like what I'm talking about. (Disclaimer! I have not tried this specific product to see if it works, its just an example... but it should work.)
Bob..Thank you. I ordered the plug on Amazon. I will do my best to figure it out. If possible to get prior to Labor Day weekend, that would be awesome. I will have time to play with it that weekend and the following week. I will try the control knob...it will at least be fun seeing if I can get it to work!!!

Bob Saget

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t believe this post. I’ve been looking all summer for somebody that could replace the cord on my mic. It’s falling apart too. Electronic shops in my area are simply parts swappers now. Nobody repairs circuit boards and cords anymore. Everything still works, but the rubber is simply falling off. Is there anybody that’s successfully replaced their mic cord? I’d love to hear who, how, when, where. Or better yet, how much $ do you want to fix mine. 😄
Yes, I can confirm that electronics and fix-it shops do not try to fix anything anymore. I worked at a few that did as a teenager and they're all out of business now.
So I've looked into it a little bit, and I'm optimistic that I could produce a replacement cord, but I would need someone to send me their mic so I can test it out. If I am able to get it to work then I'll give this person a replacement cord for free. If you are interested in sending me yours then direct message me. Also, I would like a head count of how many people would want this.

sbarger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bob. I have two Mic's. Neither work anymore. I can send you one. E-mail me your address and I will mail it tomorrow. sbarger@guidetechnologies.com. By the way, I have the plug and the volume knob. Fingers crossed that it works!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I can confirm that electronics and fix-it shops do not try to fix anything anymore. I worked at a few that did as a teenager and they're all out of business now.
So I've looked into it a little bit, and I'm optimistic that I could produce a replacement cord, but I would need someone to send me their mic so I can test it out. If I am able to get it to work then I'll give this person a replacement cord for free. If you are interested in sending me yours then direct message me. Also, I would like a head count of how many people would want this.
right now, mine works. It just looks awful. So I’ll let somebody else with a broken one give it a try first. But put me in line if you successfully replace one. id hate to break mine trying to make it look better.

sbarger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bob, the plug worked like a charm! I did not get the volume control before I left to come to the lake, but that is an easy hookup. Just had to adjust the fade to balance out the sound. Hopefully you can figure out the microphone. If not, I can still blast out the lake if I need to! :)