• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Inspection <Buying boat in the Chesapeake, VA area - advise/help please>

CraigLombardi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all in advance.

I am looking at buying a used 2012 AR 240. I located one in the Chesapeake, VA area and wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a shop to do an inspection on it? Also, if there are any club members out there that have the time to look at it with me, that would be much appreciated. May try and get up there this Thursday or Friday (7/5 or 7/6).

Craig

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you can get a general feel for he condition of the boat by looking for obvious signs (rust, dings, spider cracks, etc). You’ll know if the guy cared for his boat or not. YouTube how to conduct a compression test and you can do it all yourself. The compression test sounds intimidating but it’s isnt at all.

Good luck!

CraigLombardi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seller stated approx 80 hours on the engines yet majority of those hours were from salt water. Said he flushed engines after each use. Should I pass?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You never really want to hear salt water, but that doesn’t mean the boat wasn’t taken care of. Again if the boat looks clean, not a lot of dings, and pay attention to how he walks you through the boat. If he quick and not detailed he might be trying to take your eye off the problems (if any). I’m pretty confident that youll get a feeling for how well he cared for the boat. Play dumb, ask him how do you flush the engines? If the boat looks like it was cared for I would do the compression test and if that checks out, play the I’m concerned about it being a salt water boat to your haggling advantage.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t know if this is close to @OCMD but he may have advice.

Make sure you know about the oil bolt (?) issue and timing chain if this applies to this year and engines. Others will be able to chime in and you can find info on this board with a search.

Salt isn’t bad as long as it looks clean and doesn’t show signs of corrosion or having been kept in the water. Ask how they clean it after each use since salt away and a few other home remedies will be signs they maintained it. Ask to see their “supply” since they do this after every use.

An inspection and on the water test are crucial if you are spending >$30k IMO

CraigLombardi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One last question. I have found two boats that are attractive and wanted your opinions. I have not personally laid eyes on either.

Boat 1- 2012 AR240 with approx 80 hours, salt. From pics, looks very clean. Galvanized trailer.

Boat 2- 2011 242 Limited with approx 80 hours, fresh water only. From pics, looks clean with painted trailer.

Both are about the same price. Interested which would be the better overall boat for my family. Boat will be used to cruise the lake with tubing.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don’t plan on boating in salt water and /or getting into wake sports I recommend the limited. No tower but it will have some upgrades compared to the ar like as cup holders, a finished head compartment, back pads/cushions and seat cushions on the swim deck and a fresh water wash down system with a 10 gallon tank (also possibly docking lights but this maybe a limited s feature only). Finally, I suspect but have not confirmed that the bimini top on the limited is larger than that on the Ar.

Another thing to keep Is that the towerer boat may need its own upgrades like racks, a mirror, light bar, speakers, etc.

CraigLombardi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally I like the 240. Looks clean in the pics but seeing it in person is always a different story.

If possible I’d go see both. You’ll know where your heart lies after sitting and looking in both.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The limited will have additional features that the ar will not. Aside from missing a tower, the limited should have a larger Bimini top, 10 gallon fresh water system, cushions on the swim deck, SS cup holders, a finished head compartment and possibly docking lights. If the boat’s were taken care of and both have galvanized trailers it doesn’t mattter if they were used in salt water. Also keep in mind that towers often require upgrades of their own, none of them cheap, like speakers, lights, racks and boards.