• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Install Radio in Scarab

David23170

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone install a radio and speakers in a base model? Looking to buy a radio for the Scarab and installing them myself. The Scarab doesn't have cutouts for the speakers so I'm assuming I need to measure and cut out holes for them and also cut a hole for the receiver. Also, trying to figure out the wiring. How do I get power to the radio? I'm guessing for the speakers I just run speaker wire through the boat to each speaker? Do I need anything else besides the receiver and speakers? Amp?

Also, anyone know what this wire harness is for that in side the storage area near the 12v?

Attachments

Last edited:

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The wire harness is for the Rotax diagnostics system, I think.

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you get to install the radio? I'm doing an install on my 165 soon and wanted o see what's the best place for the amp? Any recommendations? Also should I add an extra battery just for the radio?

Thanks

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here is my advice: PAY the MAN who knows how to install systems! First, the Stator can only handle so much for charging your battery, let alone run a Big Radio. In addition, if you want to run a Big Radio, run an extra battery to push that Radio. This is a safety feature or backup in case if you run it too long on the existing battery so that you can make it back home. Just my 2 cents worth and my experience of customers installing their own systems with no experience, only to burn down their boats or electrical system.

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is my advice: PAY the MAN who knows how to install systems! First, the Stator can only handle so much for charging your battery, let alone run a Big Radio. In addition, if you want to run a Big Radio, run an extra battery to push that Radio. This is a safety feature or backup in case if you run it too long on the existing battery so that you can make it back home. Just my 2 cents worth and my experience of customers installing their own systems with no experience, only to burn down their boats or electrical system.
No argument here, I'm doing it professionally just wanted to know how the setup usually goes from factory; primarily. My installer did say an extra battery for sure. But for the 165 I have no clue where to mount the amp. Our concern is the overheating of the amp in the engine bay...

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No argument here, I'm doing it professionally just wanted to know how the setup usually goes from factory; primarily. My installer did say an extra battery for sure. But for the 165 I have no clue where to mount the amp. Our concern is the overheating of the amp in the engine bay...
The amp can be mounted on the drivers side gray carpeted wall in the engine compartment. Keep the wires high along the wall that your seats are attached to. I wouldn't run a HUGE amp for that reason. You'll be surprised how much sound can come out of that boat without going overkill. Best of luck to you!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would keep the amp away from the engine compartment.

Depending on how much you want to spend, get an amp that matches your speakers. A good Class D amp like a JL 600/6 or an Alpine would be good, and the draw on the charging system is minimal. Running too little power to the speakers will actually damage them. On the speakers, make yourself a template. This will ensure you have the holes lines up, and equal on both sides. Use tin lines power cables especially if you boat near the salt water.

That plug is the generic one that Scarab uses throughout the boat. Get yourself a meter, and check the wire for switched power. Thats all I would use. Run your own speaker wires. Scarab did a horrible job running them. You will be more satisfied in the end. Remember to isolate the power cables so you dont get noise.