• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Install - Raymarine Dragonfly 5M GPS/Chartplotter

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello members,
I desperately needed a charting solution and chose the Dragonfly. The 5M is a GPS/Chartplotter only: My SX192 is equipped with a depth sounder and I don't require a sonar. I chose Raymarine because of Navionics chart compatibility because they update their charts more frequently - very important in my location because of shoaling inlets and breaches caused by storms.

DSC00160.JPG

The install was a piece of cake because I found spade lug adaptors at my local marine supply. These allowed a simple yet removable connection to the boats electrical system.

DSC00161.JPG

Shut off the battery switch before proceeding.

I first removed the starboard bow seat cushion and then reached up to remove the two wing nut securing the seat back to the bulkhead.

DSC00154.JPG

I then loosened the nuts securing the eyebrow panel sufficiently to pass the GPS power cable under the gauge eyebrow, over the top of the boat's tachometer. I secured the cable with a couple of wire ties the existing harness to keep everything clear of the steering gear.

DSC00159.JPG

Note: the GPS power cable is routed to the starboard switch panel and must be kept clear of the steering mechanism.

DSC00155.JPG

Remove the Philips head screws securing the starboard switch panel. Mock up the GPS mount and display and position the unit in the desired location. Allow for access to the rear of the GPS display so you can reach the power connection. Mark the screw hole locations with a correction pen. Move the assembly aside and drill 1/8 inch pilot holes followed by a 1/4 inch bolt holes. Do this with the switch panel removed to be sure of not catching any wiring with the bits. I used 5200 to seal the bolts and the base of the GPS mount to the dash. The following photo shows the bolt hole location marks to the right of the GPS.

DSC00153.JPG

I crimped red spade adaptor lugs to each of the three conductors of the GPS supplied power cable. In my case the red conductor is positive, black is negative, and the gray wire is a shield to be connected to a direct wire to the battery negative connection. I removed the blue wire from the courtesy light switch and attached the black wire of the power cable in it's place, reconnect the blue wire to the exposed spade of the adaptor lug. Remove the red jumper wire from the courtesy light switch and attach the red wire of the power cable in it's place, reconnect the red jumper wire to the exposed spade of the adaptor lug. The last connection was made to the navigation light switch. Remove the black wire from the navigation light switch and attach the gray shield wire in it's place, reconnect the black wire to the exposed spade of the adaptor lug. This completes the wiring.

DSC00152.JPG

Turn on the battery switch and test your installation successfully. Reinstall the switch panel carefully, I'm told that the plastic switch panel is fragile and expensive so don't over tighten the screws. Make sure the GPS power lead follows the panel gap formed by the dash and the side panel and tighten the gauge brow carefully, the same warning about fastener tightness applies. Reinstall the seat cushions to complete the job.

Hopefully these instructions are not too tedious and have encouraged others to tack this simple job.

Thanks for this great forum,

Cabbie

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great install, thank you for sharing. We are two seasons into using a Dragonfly 6. It is working great.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i want to make a storage door just like the other side i've seen a DIY on it...that would make the install easier and gain storage space! :)

I'm looking at Lowrance Elite 4 Chirp

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cabbie thanks for taking the time to write this up and the pictures, added to the FAQ under electronics/LEDs/GPS

Nathan_85

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what is the size of the push on piggy back terminal you use for the wire installation? i just bought the dragonfly 5 pro and i am working on installation. if you can help that would be awesome! and do you have any pictures of the installation (location) of the transducer?

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
what is the size of the push on piggy back terminal you use for the wire installation? i just bought the dragonfly 5 pro and i am working on installation. if you can help that would be awesome! and do you have any pictures of the installation (location) of the transducer?
Nathan,

I bought the lugs from a marine store. The red color of the lugs is for 18-22 gauge wire. Make sure you use a proper crimping tool to secure the lugs to the wire. I did not purchase the sonar version of the dragonfly as the transom mounting looked complicated and I felt the standard depth sounder included in the boat model I bought was sufficient for my needs.

Good Luck,
Cabbie

Nathan_85

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! And thanks for the post it actually helped me on the wire portion of this task

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This post helped me so here is my boat model install.... I got the 5 Pro but waiting to hook up the transducer..
Loosened one side to run wire through.
image.jpeg
Used the Ram Mount Suction and love it. Can always change later...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Love the piggyback method. I have lots left over from the pack if anyone needs some hit me up....

Attachments

cabbie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@Jluzader
Let us know how securely the RAM mount holds your plotter. I find that I have to have the stock mount tightened very hard to hold the Dragonfly when inadvertently :) jumping boat wakes.
Cabbie

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great setup! Please let us know how you like it as you use the chartplotter more. I may get the same for my boat due to the lack of dash real estate to permanently mount a fixed unit.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Before I made the decision to screw mount my Lowrance Elite 4, I tried using one of the RAM suction cup mounts. It didn't work for me, but I might have gotten a defective one. Who knows? I just decided to mount into an area that would be convenient for a phone mount if I ever decided to remove it for some reason. I don't know if you have a spot like that to the side on a Scarab. Maybe in front of your driver's cup holder?

IMG_0084.JPG

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The RAM Mount and suction I got is a champ, I can shake the hell out of it and cant get it to move after I tighten both ends and latch the suction. I will post another update after a few months to see how its holding up but so far I am impressed.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Will be giving this a try very soon! Exact model I have been looking at @cabbie. Thanks for all the great info...

DutchBoy17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I needed to add a DragonFly Pro 5 to our SX190! Thank you for posting this.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's awesome, and the RAM mount has still not let me down.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I needed to add a DragonFly Pro 5 to our SX190! Thank you for posting this.
@DutchBoy17 that's why we have it added to the FAQ section! Glad you found us and glad we could help,