• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed a SImrad G07 on my 242

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So as part of the recent referb of our 242. I installed a Simrad G07 with a totalscan sonar.

It went in really quickly and looks great!

The head unit is on the center console right behind the wheel. Everything else is still easily visible.

I installed the TotalScan right on the rear, in the center on Stern Saver fixed above the stern drain plug. The cable came up and in through the Scupper drain pipe, exiting the drain pipe right at the fwd end of the engine compartment and then into cable chase with the steering lines at that point (very easy and quick way to get the cable in with NO EXTRA HOLES).

Wiring was easy too, I just plumbed right into the wires feeding the 12v power socket. It came with a 3am fuse and fuse holder. Very easy.

IMG_3981.jpg

Last edited:

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any chance you can post a pic of where you fed the transducer cable from the bottom of the boat? Not sure where the scupper drain pipe is and this could finally solve my "where the frick to fed my cable" for my upcoming Helix 7 install.

Cheers

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any chance you can post a pic of where you fed the transducer cable from the bottom of the boat? Not sure where the scupper drain pipe is and this could finally solve my "where the frick to fed my cable" for my upcoming Helix 7 install.

Cheers
Absolutely, I will catch some photos of where I installed the TotalScan and also the cable entry / routing etc.

Briefly, when I look at the rear of my boat, on the left side of the center keel, facing the port jet assembly, there is white drain fitting exit with a black rubber insert (to stop wave action coming up into the boat through the drain).

This is connected to a white drain hose in the bilge area. (remove the cover between the clean out plugs)

The hose enters the engine compartment runs between the two engines (at spark plug level) and connects to the central scupper drain from the cockpit.

I pushed the cable in through that fitting, and on up through the hose ( I had to release the cable clamp at the engine compartment entry to get a clean line to push the cable through). I disconnected the hose from the deck drain fitting, and where it meets that fitting, I cut a notch in the hose, exited the cable from the scupper hose and re-attached the hose to the fitting with some sealant around the cable. From there you can use the steering cable runs to get to the console.

The cable run from the transducer to the drain, I simply secured to the hull with a clear silicone sealant. (lifeseal).

I will add photos, but it came out great.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Right on Tom - looking forward to the pics my good man

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got the same setup. Can't wait to see your finished install on the transducer.

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How I installed my TotalScan transducer on a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S.

Additional pictures of the transducer install / from the post above:

Briefly, when I look at the rear of my boat, on the left side of the center keel, facing the port jet assembly, there is white drain fitting exit with a black rubber insert (to stop wave action coming up into the boat through the drain).
The cable run from the transducer to the drain, I simply secured to the hull with a clear silicone sealant. (lifeseal).
IMG_3992.jpg IMG_3993.jpg

This is connected to a white drain hose in the bilge area. (remove the cover between the clean out plugs); The hose enters the engine compartment runs between the two engines (at spark plug level) and connects to the central scupper drain from the cockpit.

I pushed the cable in through that external scupper drain fitting (you have to remove / replace the black rubber flap to get the connector through), and on up through the hose ( I had to release and reinstall the cable tie at the engine compartment entry to get a clean line to push the cable through).
IMG_3994.jpg

I disconnected the hose from the deck drain fitting, and where it meets that fitting, I cut a notch in the hose, exited the cable from the scupper hose and re-attached the hose to the fitting with some sealant around the cable.
IMG_3995.jpg

From there you can use the steering cable runs to get to the console.
IMG_3999.jpg IMG_4001.jpg IMG_4002.jpg

I mounted the bracket for the G07 on the center of the console, right behind the helm. It is secured by four screws. Drilled a 1" hole right under the center of where the mount is fitted, and brought the cables up and through.
The mount itself has a raised section to allow for cables to exit from this point.

IMG_3997.jpg

Hope this helps.

Attachments

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Happy to report. The transducer mounted in this center location works at all speeds >=30 mph , providing echo sounding and also structure scanning. The Navigation display is accurate on it's internal GPS antenna and updates quickly and seamlessly.

Very happy with the setup and configuration.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
acing the port jet assembly, there is white drain fitting exit with a black rubber insert (to stop wave action coming up into the boat through the drain).
Tom- You don't have any concern preventing the "black rubber insert" functioning the way it is intended now that the transducer cable is in its way? Do most people do it this way instead of drilling another hole in the boat?

tomcoombs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Tom- You don't have any concern preventing the "black rubber insert" functioning the way it is intended now that the transducer cable is in its way? Do most people do it this way instead of drilling another hole in the boat?
It didn't seem to impact the boat this past weekend. No water came flooding back up into the cockpit when waves were approaching the stern, even when we slowed from high speed to low speed. I don't believe its impacting the operation.

It would be very easy to nibble out an edge to allow it to move over the cable if I see something like that.

I don't know about most people, but this will allow me to take my G07 off the boat if I choose to sell it, without having to repair a big hole in the stern...and it's one less penetration which has to be good right?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! I mounted my mine in the same place! I did not install a transducer, thought about getting the forward scan transducer
I used a ram mount, which makes it sit higher

01abf45e079cae359fa0dbb28217fdd8f7a6350f0c.jpg

Attachments