• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing 3 bank charger on 2016 e-series

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do I need to do anything special when installing a 3 bank charger on an E-series boat?

Looking at the NOCO genius 12 amp 3 bank charger.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone? Can I just wire it right to the batteries and be done with it?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone? Can I just wire it right to the batteries and be done with it?
That is what I have done, works very well. If you have only two batteries, I think you are supposed to bridge two of the three charger connections, there should be instructions in the charger manual as to which one to pair up.

-

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why would you need that with a charger connected to shore power?
Those connect DIRECTLY to battery terminals, bypassing everything else.

--
Basically the electronics in the boat charging system will turn that smart charger into a dumb one and fry your batteries. Here is the original write-up I did way back when on the old site that really digs into all of it: http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58251.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The DVSR opens the 'bridge' between the battery banks when it senses charging voltage. In the factory configuration it does this anytime it sense charging voltage, whether that's from the stators or from a AC battery charger, and whether the boat is on or off regardless of the position of any of the disconnect switches. This means when you have a charger connected to one or both banks you end up charging the batteries in parallel, not independently. While you'll still get a full charge on both batteries eventually it defeats the benefit of using a multiple bank smart charger as both batteries receive charging voltage even if only one is low which theoretically reduces battery life.

By doing the mod the DVSR will only activate when the engines are running. This lets the charging system charge both batteries simultaneously when running the boat, which it did in the factory configuration, but allows a multiple bank smart charger to charge the batteries independently when on shore power, increasing the life of the batteries.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@davel501, is the DVSR active when there is no charging voltage coming from the stators? I have intentionally avoided complicating my charging system with one of those things but that seems like a particularly bad design.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Basically the electronics in the boat charging system will turn that smart charger into a dumb one and fry your batteries. Here is the original write-up I did way back when on the old site that really digs into all of it: http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58251.
I am confused. I have an onboard dual bank charger that is connected directly to my batteries' terminals, that is in my dual battery (OEM) setup, and my battery switches are OFF (when I power from shore).

What am I missing?

Last edited:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@davel501, is the DVSR active when there is no charging voltage coming from the stators? I have intentionally avoided complicating my charging system with one of those things but that seems like a particularly bad design.
It sure is. In the default config it is actually active 100% of the time that the batteries have enough juice to power it. Once one of the batteries hits the required voltage it parallels them. The Blue Seas setup actually seems much better if your boat only came with 1 bank and you want to add more.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The BlueSeas BatteryLink system which has a dual bank 10 amp charger and a 65 amp ACR built in seems like a good way to go if you do not already have an ACR. If you are going to add a third battery just connect the two house batteries in parallel. @davel501, is this the option you were suggesting?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The BlueSeas BatteryLink system which has a dual bank 10 amp charger and a 65 amp ACR built in seems like a good way to go if you do not already have an ACR. If you are going to add a third battery just connect the two house batteries in parallel. @davel501, is this the option you were suggesting?
I was thinking about the one that @txav8r liked but that new one looks a whole lot sexier.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I think I'm starting to get it. Darned.

Here are the posts that I think explain it best:

So, this one is from @davel501 http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58251
"A bit more on the sensing loop on the DVSR with a wiring diagram...The red loop on the back of the DVSR pulls power from the positive to power the DVSR. Without the power the DVSR does nothing. With the power it is able to parallel the batteries so they charge underway.

With the red loop on the back of the DVSR uncut a dual bank charger will raise one of the batteries to 13.7 volts and the DVSR will parallel both batteries and your charger will go back to bulk charge mode. This means a house battery that is somewhat run down can cause your charger to pump a ton of current into your start battery, defeating the purpose of a smart charger.

With the red loop on the back of the DVSR cut it can be wired to grab power from your gauge/YDIS connection so it only turns the DVSR on when the engines are running. When the engines are not running the charger will be able to charge both batteries as separate banks just like you pictured when you bought it."

And this is from @Mainah https://jetboaters.net/threads/dvsr-bypass.11404/
If it is the BEP dvsr then the red light comes on when it is in combine mode. This is defeating the smart dual bank capabilites of your charger as it sensing charging voltage from the charger and combining both banks. You can take of the dvsr and there is a small red loop of wire behind it. If you clip it and connect the right end to the the enonge on wire it will only combine when the engines are running.
Installing a switch works as well. there is a purple wire labled eng on in the 2015 and 2016 242s locatrd on the foward engine fire wall. Not sure on your boat for that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And, finally, this is the one that explains which end of the cut loop to connect to the switched power/engine wire:
Completed this mod last night. Works perfectly. After you cut the red loop wire turn on the batteries and test each end of the cut for voltage. The end with +12vdc is NOT the one to be connected to the engine on wire, insulate and seal it up. Connect the remaining wire (bottom half of the red loop on mine) to the purple engine on wire, rebolt the switches and dvsr to the bulkhead.....done.

Now my dual bank NOCO is truly a smart charger and my start battery will see fewer cycles.
Thank you guys!!! @davel501, @BBottoms, @Mainah, and @Derek Fosbury

--

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I'm just going to add a switch to the loop. Keep it on while running and flip it off when charging.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm just going to add a switch to the loop. Keep it on while running and flip it off when charging.
Actually, I think that may be the way to go.
Love this forum.

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@fraserjr this is new to me too. I installed a 3 bank charger last year, and now worried it's not charging correctly. I had to double up two of the charger connections since I only have 2 batteries for now. I guess I need to research this now.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually, I think that may be the way to go.
Love this forum.

--
I would install a relay instead of a switch. Have it disconnect whenever voltage is sensed from the charger. I am unfamiliar with the circuit but you may need to add a diode to prevent the battery back feeding the relay and it always being tripped.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length