• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Installing a raw water wash down

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking to install raw water wash down into my ‘17 212 LTD S. Wanted to get opinions on either putting in a through hull or splicing into the raw water cooling line to draw water into the pump. Didn’t know if pulling water through the raw water cooling line (with engines off) would cause any problems or possible might drain all the water out then pull air back through? Looking for input.

Thanks!

I believe I’m going with a through hull. I believe there is less risk there and to not mess with the water flow of the engine cooling lines.

I agree with you, I think. Really the best people to ask would be those who installed ballast bags. @swatski , if I recall, at least. Who else?

Didn’t know if pulling water through the raw water cooling line (with engines off) would cause any problems
Yes, it could cause problems, you could hydrolock the engines.

--

Yes, it could cause problems, you could hydrolock the engines.

--

Thanks! Yeah I read up on the ballast set ups and just going to take lessons from that. We do a lot of boating with the dogs who love to get messy in the mud so a was down would be great for keeping them. Seen plenty of fresh water wash downs but it would be a waste for what my intended use is.

Looking to install raw water wash down into my ‘17 212 LTD S. Wanted to get opinions on either putting in a through hull or splicing into the raw water cooling line to draw water into the pump. Didn’t know if pulling water through the raw water cooling line (with engines off) would cause any problems or possible might drain all the water out then pull air back through? Looking for input.

Thanks!
Depending on your needs, I just use this:
https://www.amazon.com/WG629-Cordle...23837226&sr=8-3&keywords=work+pressure+washer
Not as cool as a built in system, but I use it on the trailer after, the boat, and the car if need be. I also bring a 5 gallon freshwater bucket in my storage so I can use both raw and fresh. Cheap, easy, ad serves me well even at home!

What a cool tool! Great recommendation!
Thanks. When I'm in salt water and there is no fresh water hose at the ramp, I use it to give the boat a quick rinse and I also wash down the trailer axle. This thing can take make 5 gallons go a long way. When we go to the beach I bring it for a wash down before the trip home. On the boat you can drop the suction host into the water or, like I said, bring your own fresh. One battery lasts for awhile. It's not powerful like a motorized pressure washer. It's not meant to be.

I agree!
However, for @Augieol65 application an aerator-type "ballast" pump (that you throw in the water) maybe even easier to use - those are cheap and plug into 12v outlets.

--

All great suggestions I believe I’m going with a through hull in the clean out transom area then plumbing in a wash down pump. I’ll post some photos of the project

I'm currently working on a hybrid system, with a 5 gallon fresh tank, a valve to switch to raw water, and a high pressure pump with a 25' coil hose, while also keeping the shorty hose functional on the swim deck. If this weather would cooperate, I'd work on it today. The original system was a 10 gallon tank, very weak pump, and short hose. I am relocating the tank to below the swim platform, starboard side. Havent figured out where to suck the raw water from, yet.

I'm currently working on a hybrid system, with a 5 gallon fresh tank, a valve to switch to raw water, and a high pressure pump with a 25' coil hose, while also keeping the shorty hose functional on the swim deck. If this weather would cooperate, I'd work on it today. The original system was a 10 gallon tank, very weak pump, and short hose. I am relocating the tank to below the swim platform, starboard side. Havent figured out where to suck the raw water from, yet.

That sounds awesome. I’d love to work on it today as well but it’s snowing again..... I think I’ll take influence from @swatski and place the through hull where he placed his for his ballast system.

Attachments

• F059421C-0C57-4932-8AF9-752E67765CF5.jpeg
    F059421C-0C57-4932-8AF9-752E67765CF5.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 33
That sounds awesome. I’d love to work on it today as well but it’s snowing again..... I think I’ll take influence from @swatski and place the through hull where he placed his for his ballast system.

I followed @swatski lead on using this location for my through hulls. Easy access and works well. Should not matter for a wash down but keep in mind that location is not in the water while on plane.

I followed @swatski lead on using this location for my through hulls. Easy access and works well. Should not matter for a wash down but keep in mind that location is not in the water while on plane.

Good to know thanks!

@swatski can you post a link to your water inlet install?

Back