• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing Amplifer - Adding in Seperate Battery Switch - Will This One Work?

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to find out if I'm heading in the right direction or if I'm going to set my boat on fire. I'm in the process of installing a JL Audio setup. I was considering trying to figure out how to get the house battery switch off the mounted panel and tying in the power for the JL M800 to it or running the stereo system off its own dedicated battery switch in case I'd ever need/want cut power just to it. I do have JL Audio's Marine grade fuse that'll go inline either way but want I want to know is if this battery switch will accomplish what I'm looking for: a dedicated switch identical to the factory house/start swithces: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5PV84D/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ask because I ran to West Marine today and they suggested I use this switch: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--m-series-dual-circuit-plus-battery-switch--8646309?recordNum=45

While I'm not opposed to using it, it's much larger than my other factory switches and I think overkill for what I'm trying. The first one I listed appears to match the factory switches (from what I can tell) and thus, I'd like to go that route if it'll work.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with these battery switches such as not being able to support "x" amount of voltage/amperage for a single amp (JL M800) setup.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both will work with no issues. The BEP (Amazon) switch handles 275A continuous where the Blue Seas (from west marine) is 300A. Both should be well in excess of any sound system you intend.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to help. I like keeping everything the same too.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just went with an 80A circuit breaker feeding my amp supply line. Meets my fusing needs, and enables easy on/off for the amps (and whenever I need to do work at the helm distribution panel).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8BX3P2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some of these circuit breakers are junk. I bought the no names rated for 150 amps for my inverter and wired up with 2 feet 0 awg runs. The darn thing kept popping with a load of 120 amps and only had 1/4 inch studs. The ones from busman are good stuff though.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some of these circuit breakers are junk. I bought the no names rated for 150 amps for my inverter and wired up with 2 feet 0 awg runs. The darn thing kept popping with a load of 120 amps and only had 1/4 inch studs. The ones from busman are good stuff though.
Good to know. It was well reviewed so went with it, if I have any issues I'll swap it out for a Busman.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I went with a basic 4 position switch. It has Both, Bat 1, Bat 2, and Off. No issues and was like $20 on amazon.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I ended up using the factory house switch for the time being. I still have both switches listed above but I'll give this a run for a bit and see if I want to swap it.