• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing new Bow Roller and Shield while on the trailer?

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Any ideas as to how I can get these parts installed while the boat is on the trailer? Any way to safely lift the boat a few inches so I can do the install? IMG_20140912_194456.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed my roller while the boat was in the water.

But others have installed the roller with the boat on the trailer.

I believe that if you slack the winch and remove the factory roller you should have sufficient room to install the shield then install the new roller.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If your winch stand is bolt in place you can loosen it, slide it out of the way, do your work, and then slide it back in place.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After unclipping my winch strap from the bow eye, I was able to unbolt my roller and install the new one without issue. I did not need to move my winch.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat was on the trailer.... Was just enough space to swap it out

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your winch stand is bolt in place you can loosen it, slide it out of the way, do your work, and then slide it back in place.
This is exactly why I bolted the winch post instead of welding it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I realize OP may not have had ability to drop his boat in the water, but the swap took me no more than 8-10 mins when I did it a few years back with the boat off.

We went to local lake. Dropped boat in water as usual. Moved boat to staging pier away from ramp. Parked truck & trailer. Swapped out the roller (had pre-staged proper tools in back of tow vehicle). Tossed the POS black OEM roller in trash can. Hopped in boat and had a typical family day at the lake. Easy.

Note: I have a 2008 trailer manufactured by MFI, so my bow roller yoke is a true 4" and did not require any adjustment.

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
OK, now that I have the old roller removed, how do I get the ULT-4 center section installed between those tabs? This is for a 190. How do I go about correctly bending those tabs to accommodate the width of the new roller? Also, is that center section supposed to roll or is it fixed?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1. Yes the center roller should roll.
2. Use some type of wrench to gain leverage to bend out the tabs enough for a fit, shouldn't have to move it much. You can use a large adjustable wrench, pipe wrench, vice grips, etc.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, the bunks will support the boat enough to not need the roller?

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ok, mission completion on the roller. First off, to get the bow off the roller I placed a wood board on a floor jack and raised the jack enough so the wood touched the front bottom of the hull. From there, I lowered the tongue just enough to have a workable space. I have to thank fellow member Leojay for that idea.
The bending of the mounting tabs was somewhat involved and it took me some trial and error to get it right. I used a vice grip and an open end wrench to get the right articulation of the tabs. On to the bow shield install!

20140914_135235.jpg 20140914_135208.jpg 20140914_135218.jpg

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, mission completion on the roller. First off, to get the bow off the roller I placed a wood board on a floor jack and raised the jack enough so the wood touched the front bottom of the hull. From there, I lowered the tongue just enough to have a workable space. I have to thank fellow member Leojay for that idea.
The bending of the mounting tabs was somewhat involved and it took me some trial and error to get it riView attachment 12203 View attachment 12204 View attachment 12205 ght. I used a vice grip and an open end wrench to get the right articulation of the tabs. On to the bow shield install!
Awesome idea!!!!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
:) Nice work! You are not the only one installing the Stoltz on the 190 series. Put mine on my 192 yesterday. Not sure I bent the tabs enough (I was at the lake and didn't have my assortment of tools) but I bent enough I got the center roller on :) Night and day difference in feel between the two!!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did mine by loosening the bow strap and hooking my UTV to the boat and pulled it back a few inches, but as the old saying goes, there are more ways than one to skin a cat and I also hear the Chinese say they are quite tasty...

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, the bunks will support the boat enough to not need the roller?
The bunks carry the boat. The bow roller keeps the boat on the trailer when you have to jump on the brakes, it is a bow stop and that is all.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where did you get the shield from?