• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Interested in AR190, need info

Zesco57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, new here!
Looking at a 2012 AR190 and it’s in decent shape. Needs some lip stick but engine bay looks great. The dealer said they just had a new impeller housing and impeller installed. I’m a CAT mechanic and work on my own toys and know obviously it had some abrasive encounters to need a impeller and housing. My question is, how many of you guys are running them in salt water? And in general, what are your thoughts on the boat?! Small motor, very suprising, but easy to work on and looks like a tune and intake would be a good upgrade!
Any thoughts or feed back welcome.
Thanks! -ZESCO Performance

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
A lot of guys run them in salt water but personally I would not. It’s a nice boat for a small crew of 3-5 people onboard.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are many folks around here who run in salt (not me either). But, I also have a '12 and it has been a solid boat. Really like the layout on mine. The back deck on these boats is awesome for sitting and floating or fishing.

The impeller and wear ring (housing) needed replacement because the wear ring starts to corrode (usually from salt) and expands. That impacts the impeller and boom. Sometimes it is bad enough you can't even start the boat. So good that those were replaced and probably not a big warning of any larger issue, necessarily. Just basic wear on that one.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ours is a 2012 SX190, same boat minus the tower. I very much like it, as you mention it's easy to work on and easy to trailer around. I added the fins and thrusters from JetBoatPilot which make a huge improvement in handling. Pretty decent storage space throughout, we generally go out with 4 to 6 people and it's plenty big for everyone and food/equipment/etc.
It's somewhat loud at speed, especially if you compare to a similar-sized outboard or I/O. There are some threads in this forum on bringing down the engine noise level.
For some reason this model year--or our boat, at least--didn't have a battery master cutoff switch, and the stock stereo sucks down the battery level if you don't leave the battery on a trickle charge or unplug the stereo when you leave the boat. Adding a cutoff switch is easy enough.

Zesco57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys so much! We are going to test drive it Wednesday to see what it holds @IvanRZB any problem pullin up a skier with that many people? Girl friends dad had a 4winn 22” with 302 and he can barley get me out Of the water on solemn ski with 4 people in boat

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, new here!
Looking at a 2012 AR190 and it’s in decent shape. Needs some lip stick but engine bay looks great. The dealer said they just had a new impeller housing and impeller installed. I’m a CAT mechanic and work on my own toys and know obviously it had some abrasive encounters to need a impeller and housing. My question is, how many of you guys are running them in salt water? And in general, what are your thoughts on the boat?! Small motor, very suprising, but easy to work on and looks like a tune and intake would be a good upgrade!
Any thoughts or feed back welcome.
Thanks! -ZESCO Performance

Hi

I have the SX so no tower but same hull.
Ask if they replace the bearings

I run salt 100%. I flush using joy or similar hand soap and whole boat gets pressure washed. I used Fluid Film on everything once it air dries before going in garage which was my reason for 19'. Also easier to tow and no need to change tow vehicle. I sacrificed speed for reliability and fuel economy.
I have had to do my own wrenching and was pretty easy to work on. I did suffer from cramps extending myself over engine.

Ribbon delete removes restrictive spark arrestor. Gets a couple rpms.
Stock Air Box works best imo. The SC do better with better air and tunes but consume gas.
Search at #swatski. He did a lot on speed data and what did what. There is a tune and he has video on it. Throttle is more responsive and turns more rpms.

Thank you guys so much! We are going to test drive it Wednesday to see what it holds @IvanRZB any problem pullin up a skier with that many people? Girl friends dad had a 4winn 22” with 302 and he can barley get me out Of the water on solemn ski with 4 people in boat
Go with a compression tester. Numbers should be 180 across all 4
Check the oil before and after. I forgot at my water and test and found milky oil days later.
As others have said. Its loud and hard to have conversation with person next to you

BTW Welcome!

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2013 AR190 and love it. Do 100% of my boating in salt water, and have never had an issue. As long as you maintain the boat and flush with fresh water and give a good rinse down after each use, you should have no issues. My engine compartment is clean enough to eat out of. Put in the effort to keep the boat clean, and you wont have any issues.

I wakeboard and have no problem pulling someone out of the water. Last year I had 3 grown adults on a tube, and 4 grown adults in the boat, and while it did take some time to gradually get up to speed, once at speed, the boat had no issues towing that much weight.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@IvanRZB any problem pullin up a skier with that many people? Girl friends dad had a 4winn 22” with 302 and he can barley get me out Of the water on solemn ski with 4 people in boat
We don't have skiers but my wife has pulled my fat @ss on a wakeboard with 2 adults and 3 kids on board (I'm ~220). I'd have to go to a bigger motor (+ tower) if one of my kids gets good enough to start wanting to do big jumps or flips; for now we keep it mellow.

Most we've ever pulled was 1adult+1kid on a Big Mable with 7 people (4 ad + 3 kids) on the boat. That felt plenty fast. It takes a bit to get up to speed, and without some practice it can be easy to bog down on turns. Once my wife and I got some hours piloting we can sling people around all day long.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they will allow, I would recommend putting a skiier in the water for the test drive. When I first bought my 2013 AR190, it ran fine until I tried to pull up a skiier. Turns out my impeller was damaged just enough to prevent pulling up a skiier, but not enough to prevent running around wtihout someone in the water. Changing out the impeller is easy and cheap, but if they say they did it already, it would be good to ensure the power is there.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they will allow, I would recommend putting a skiier in the water for the test drive. When I first bought my 2013 AR190, it ran fine until I tried to pull up a skiier. Turns out my impeller was damaged just enough to prevent pulling up a skiier, but not enough to prevent running around wtihout someone in the water. Changing out the impeller is easy and cheap, but if they say they did it already, it would be good to ensure the power is there.
My local dealer met us on the water one night and let me ride the wakeskate behind his personal SX230 before we purchased. That was ~2008 or so. We didn't buy until 2017, but he still remembered us.

The AR190 has plenty of power to pull, the bigger issue is "traction". Cavitation is the loss of traction between the impeller and the water (it's much more complicated in that, but not a value add tangent), and will cause the impeller to spin freely instead of creating usable thrust. Once you have the cavitation issue solved, and are able to transfer the power from the engine to the water, there is plenty of power. Sealing the pump intake tunnel well, using an Lucky 13 cone, and ensuring the leading edge of the impeller is in good to excellent condition and you'll be fine.

My boat has pulled me out of the water on a wakeskate (smaller than a wakeboard, and without bindings) with 1 adult and 6 teenagers in the boat, as well as 3 full coolers. It can still "hit" hard enough to pull the rope from my hands. It doesn't JUMP on plane, but it will get there just fine, and easily fast enough to get a board out of the water. I don't have a slalom ski to test with, but welcome anyone on board with me if they want to try. I'm pretty confident we'll get you up with the "little boat" :D :D

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
'16 AR190 here boating in salt water >90% of the time. I love the boat but it is a smaller boat so if you are bigger guy, it will have a hard time getting a solemn skier out of the hole. With 6 bigger adults on board, I can still wakeboard and play with no problem. The biggest issue I have with the 190 is handling choppy water. Because it's so light, on busy weekends when the lake is completely chopped up and there is enough wind for white caps, it gets pretty rough in the boat.

Welcome and if you decide to get it...you will have no regrets. 120 hours and all smiles

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are fine to run in salt water. Use salt away for flushing after every use, spray down metal components periodically with yamalube silicone spray or similar product to inhibit rust. Short term storage in salt water is no problem but I personally would not leave boat in salt water for extended time, like the whole season.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u absolutely a 190 has enough power to get a slalom skiier up. You might stay in the water a little longer than you prefer, but it can get me up! Every other boat toy it has had no issue getting anyone out of the water in a reasonable amount of time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u absolutely a 190 has enough power to get a slalom skiier up. You might stay in the water a little longer than you prefer, but it can get me up! Every other boat toy it has had no issue getting anyone out of the water in a reasonable amount of time.
Glad to hear. I ride a skate and during the learning phase with this boat I had to have the wife "turn down the hit" and not just go full WOT to pull me out of a deep water start. Our 4cyl jet boat definitely hits harder than our old 4cyl I/O.

I expected it would, but didn't have direct experience with it.

Now I need Ridesteady to get the speed control ironed out......as well as more hours in the day so I can actually ride the dang thing.

Zesco57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys!!! Tested the AR190 and it was ok. Snappy little boat! Seats were real rough and rust everywhere, just neglected. Sad to see it. After some haggling on the price and scrolling these forms we saw a post from @ToddW850 and started messaging him. Great guy and big help showing us the boat via videos. MY dad and his buddy took a ride down to Florida. I misssd the bus🙄. Tested the boat and made a deal!

Just took this 2007 AR210 on her first voyage this evening in the North Carolina costal water, ran great! She needs alittle tuning up just from sitting for so long but we are now Jet boat owners!
Thank you @ToddW850 and everyone who helped us on this post!

We will see you on the forms,
Zach