• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate Bearing greasing

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know discussed in nauseum. Basically I never had this done or did it. I am at 6 years and no issues. So, should I now grease it or leave it be? I see so much about never doing it and see people who do it. Almost seems the risk of doing it wrong can be bad. I am doing my yearly maintenance and now realize this was never done. My dealer never told me about the 10 hour.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
do a search, I posted how to add gear lube to it so you do not damage it.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would like to know too. I’m thinking though that he’s slipping the syringe between the gasket and the bearing housing. That’s where any extra grease would come out if too much is pumped in through the zirk. Don’t do anything until this is confirmed though. I’m watching.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to know too. I’m thinking though that he’s slipping the syringe between the gasket and the bearing housing. That’s where any extra grease would come out if too much is pumped in through the zirk. Don’t do anything until this is confirmed though. I’m watching.
I read every post I could find and what I am reading is simply remove the fitting, use some weed eater string to check the condition of the grease in that space then simply use a syringe to add grease and put the fitting back on. This method appears to remove the ability to over pressurize the space killing your seals. With the fitting removed, there is now a place for pressure relief. I am going to try this method.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I read every post I could find and what I am reading is simply remove the fitting, use some weed eater string to check the condition of the grease in that space then simply use a syringe to add grease and put the fitting back on. This method appears to remove the ability to over pressurize the space killing your seals. With the fitting removed, there is now a place for pressure relief. I am going to try this method.
Ah! That makes better sense. I bet you’re right.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah! That makes better sense. I bet you’re right.
Well famous last words :) But I can not see how this method would hurt. At the least I do not have a 100% perfect amount of grease in the space but I think I would rather under grease than kill my seals. My only concern is killing the fitting somehow.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve done it with a gun for my 10 hour service on a rebuilt engine. It was suppose to get 30 CC’s, which I was able to determine each pump for my gun produced 1 CC. So, 30 pumps, right? After I did it it dawned on me that the bearings were not part of the engine rebuild and started to worry. A little bit (about a pump’s worth) came out of the seal. This was three years ago. So, based on that obvious over pumping and nothing happened, I think you’re safe to use the gun even but maybe just a few pumps. I do like the syringe idea though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remove the fitting add the gear lube using the plastic syringe then reattach the fitting or replace it with a hose barb type they use to place the hose on the bearing housing then fold over the hose to close it off or plug the end with another fitting like they did in the original setup. This works excellent and having gear lube in it really lubes it better.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove the fitting add the gear lube using the plastic syringe then reattach the fitting or replace it with a hose barb type they use to place the hose on the bearing housing then fold over the hose to close it off or plug the end with another fitting like they did in the original setup. This works excellent and having gear lube in it really lubes it better.
Are you mixing the gear lube with the grease or straight gear lube? Ratio?

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve done it with a gun for my 10 hour service on a rebuilt engine. It was suppose to get 30 CC’s, which I was able to determine each pump for my gun produced 1 CC. So, 30 pumps, right? After I did it it dawned on me that the bearings were not part of the engine rebuild and started to worry. A little bit (about a pump’s worth) came out of the seal. This was three years ago. So, based on that obvious over pumping and nothing happened, I think you’re safe to use the gun even but maybe just a few pumps. I do like the syringe idea though.
Since I have never greased these, I will try the syringe method and see. Would hate to mess something up.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
way over thinking this, just add the gear lube.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
way over thinking this, just add the gear lube.
I have no grease in there that I know of so I am assuming I need to get it greased first then use the gear lube during services. I was just not sure if you are only running gear lube, no grease, a combination etc.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is already grease in there even if you have not greased it, just add regular ol gear lube.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I greased mine every time I winterized. My method was to pump the grease through the zerk fitting until the hose got firm, then using a small screwdriver I would push down on the ball on the zerk fitting until no grease came out, this was to relieve any pressure. I did it this way for the 10 years I owned my Yamaha.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I greased mine every time I winterized. My method was to pump the grease through the zerk fitting until the hose got firm, then using a small screwdriver I would push down on the ball on the zerk fitting until no grease came out, this was to relieve any pressure. I did it this way for the 10 years I owned my Yamaha.
I have no hose so I have to use the force. Step one is pull the zerk and check grease condition.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How long are your guys arms? That zerk is down there. my 212 has a hose mounted to the top of the eng attached to the zerk. I add a few pumps every oil change, only two so far but the 100hr service is 20 hrs away. I had a Ar190 before did the same but now y'all got me nervous.