• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

**Intermediate Bearing Replacement** Found out why my bilge runs so much… Bad Port Intermediate Bearing

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
55719DFF-F034-48BA-A4E4-81B7E52EDEDD.jpeg
First let’s start with a pic of me successfully backing into a slip a second time. Lake Burger at LOTO was pretty good if anyone wants to know, a little pricey for my cheap ass, but that’s the boating lifestyle we live haha!

I had been recently noticing my bilge running more and more while on the water, while planed out and coved up. Ran it on the hose and put the drain plug in because I thought maybe a clamp was loose. Not a drop after I pulled the drain plug. Fixed a tube that wasn’t clamped to the clean out tray drain so assumed that was my issue, my gut told me wrong, but I still hoped.

I decided to try to investigate while we were wet slipped on LOTO. Found my port side intermediate bearing was leaking water steadily. Man was that a bummer.. Bought another grease gun to grease the housing..Probably was the first time it had been done in the life of the boat, didn’t have any grease for about 5-6in from the bottom of the tubing, which I understand you don’t want to over grease..Greased the starboard side too and that was even worse, took forever to get grease to come out of the tubing, hooked it back up and just pumped once for the starboard side.

Sadly, the damage was done, I knew even after greasing the port side that amount of water wasn’t going to stay out. We had one day left and risked it anyways. The bearing held up fine. Ordering the new housing/bearing off island racing and hopefully will receive it by the end of the week. I’ve read plenty of tips on the forum here. Pulling pump, taking the top motor mount off, exhaust off, and leaning the engine forward to get the housing and shaft off. And then placing everything back together at the proper torque settings for bolts. Also making sure to press the shaft back into the new one at the same depth. This forum is a godsend when it comes to this stuff.

I will update this post as I start this job, obviously with pictures as well. Any other tips I will graciously accept before tackling this job. Hoping to start this Friday if the part comes. We have a LOTO trip again in a few weeks so we want to get this done pronto.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
was it leaking while sitting or when the engine was running or both ?

Interested in your results as we are getting a lot of older boats and this may become as common as changing the scupper or impeller bearings,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you got other pictures of the side of your boat? I'm thinking of removing the sticker over the white portion above the rub rail. (below already removed) I see you have done so already. Best of Luck with the housing, for the pump rebuild job I bought the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight. It's big. It takes up a lot of room. It will do the job :)

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
was it leaking while sitting or when the engine was running or both ?

Interested in your results as we are getting a lot of older boats and this may become as common as changing the scupper or impeller bearings,

It was slowly leaking like a small constant faucet drip when it was sitting in the wet slip… Then wouldn’t leak in “neutral” detent, but as soon as I put it in the forward detent it would start gushing water when I checked…I never checked anything above idle speed, my gut told me it probably sprayed water like crazy 😅😩…. If this is as easy as it looks (fingers crossed) I will change the starboard side probably next year in the off-season, I don’t want to change something that’s not broken yet, haha!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you got other pictures of the side of your boat? I'm thinking of removing the sticker over the white portion above the rub rail. (below already removed) I see you have done so already. Best of Luck with the housing, for the pump rebuild job I bought the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight. It's big. It takes up a lot of room. It will do the job :)
Ya I’ve got some pictures I’ll post below.. We love it without any graphics, looks so clean. I need to get some on the water more from the side! I have a buddy that is going to help me who has a large press at his work, which he works for the county so I’m sure it’s a very large, nice press! Just hoping my friend and I can get it done in one day for sure!

9946D6DD-9628-482B-B056-00BC17E3A76D.jpeg
452503B7-1D2F-46D9-AE33-D3BF57CC8512.jpeg
69276BA5-78D0-4606-8724-F8FC77FEAFBF.jpeg

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New housing assembly came today, ordered from island racing on Sunday. Didn’t know how long it would take to get it because I couldn’t choose shipping which shipping was 9 dollars. Kind of a sketchy way you have to order through them but I received it nonetheless, haha! Shipped priority usps, I live in Iowa and I’m pretty sure they are based out on the NE coast I believe. I also got the more expensive island racing brand, I plan to buy the cheaper WSM brand to replace the other one next year to see which bearing will outlast the other, even though I’d rather just not have issues at all! Happy I got it today, going to try to dive in tomorrow with getting it replaced! Countdown to LOTO, 12 days.

E71E5935-5967-4549-9E16-80CDED0CCA1A.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a press and would like to figure out how to rebuild them... Once you get your old/bad one out would you consider selling it to me??

Good Luck with the install process.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a press and would like to figure out how to rebuild them... Once you get your old/bad one out would you consider selling it to me??

Good Luck with the install process.
Ya sure, the old housing was just going to go in the trash anyways! Going to start on this project tomorrow, nervous about moving the engine forward slightly but once I look at it it’ll make more sense I believe.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Acard7 Please please please take many pictures and post them.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, the moment you all (or maybe just a few) have been waiting for… Got the job done, actually way easier than expected. Started at 10am and probably had it done and reinstalled by 1pm. Since it didn’t take as long as I thought my buddy and I decided to install the transducer to the Hummingbird Helix 5 that I have as well. Both my friend and I are pretty mechanically inclined and I was confident with the help of the forum that we could get this done. So let the games begin..
FBB60863-9B0B-4E90-95DE-53D361C4B63F.gif

The first step I didn’t take pictures of and that was pulling the pump, there are plenty of posts, videos, etc on doing that so no need to show everyone how to do that. This was the first time pulling a pump that I have done and it went really quickly and easily. The impeller looked perfect and the wear ring looked great as well, so that was nice. The one thing I did notice is the steering bushings were not there when I took the bolt out, we will get to that though.

The second step I did was remove the exhaust fittings, two of them pictured below, I believe they were 9/32 socket to loosen the bands. I got both those loose and was able to wiggle the middle exhaust pipe out which then gave me enough room to slide the engine forward as you see in the picture below.
30F0F2D6-3767-4D1E-9588-E7DFD71FCABF.jpeg
B6B52317-98ED-465D-B9E0-55283882C627.jpeg

The next step was removing all four TOP bolts on the motor mounts. That’s right only FOUR single bolts, I believe they were 12mm sockets. As you see below I got a couple pics of them. to get to the back right bolt you definitely have to remove that exhaust piece or else it’s almost impossible to get a wrench to (found this out when I put the exhaust piece back on before I tightened that motor mount bolt). I actually left the bolts halfway in until the next few steps were done.
2B927E47-FCD0-492D-BA72-A601330E4DF9.jpeg
0B05B37E-532D-4743-BB06-F455FF83FB3C.jpeg

Next step was removing the plastic housing above the drive shaft coupler thingy which is attached to the intermediate assembly. 10mm socket I believe. After you have that bolt out you have to pull the plastic guard towards the back, you may have to pull up on the rubber bolt thingys towards the engine, sorry no pic here but it’s pretty explanatory when you actually see them.
03DEF2F0-3537-4C9E-8FE0-06FEE2D9F434.jpeg

After I removed this plastic housing/guard is when I jiggled the drive shaft and realized how bad the bearing was, yikes haha. Next I removed the three bolts around the Intermediate Bearing Assembly. 12mm socket I believe. I got a pic of two of the bolts but not the third which is approximately where the arrow is, also remove the grease tube from the fitting here too. Just look at how much rust that water has caused….Probably has been bad for awhile so thankfully it didn’t completely fall apart while we were on the water. Something I do believe is crucial here is take a sharpie and mark where the driveshaft meets the housing assembly. The driveshaft was so loose I could move it away from the housing so I put the couplers together and marked before moving the engine forward.
6397A5C2-A15A-4B3D-93C8-548ED7ADC016.jpeg

Next, we removed the engine mount bolts completely. We weren’t sure how heavy the engine would be or more so how hard it would be to slide forward. Decided to use some heavy duty dock lines to go through the three rings on the engine as pictured below. This was way easier than we thought, I was sitting on the seat above the battery and my friend was kneeled down on the fuel hatch, we pulled slowly and it slid forward. We also put two 4x4 pieces of wood down below, not sure they would’ve helped after putting them there but oh well.
19E1EF78-65C1-40DC-AF87-422EF9BE59EC.jpeg
D9F2C5CC-A841-4861-B382-B879E8757028.jpeg
D793EDE4-2E29-4CF5-BFC0-48D4ECB769AC.jpeg

Next was pulling the intermediate assembly off, it was stuck on there pretty good so using a hammer to tap on it a number of times finally got it to come loose. After it came off we had to slide the engine ever so slightly forward more, as you can see in the pics above we moved the engine around 1.5-2in. Obviously you need to be cautious in that step so take it slow and check constantly. I didn’t have any pics of me removing the assembly, didn’t think we needed to.

Thank god a mechanic we knew who was just a few blocks away had a 20 ton press (harbor freight) since my buddy couldn‘t get into the county shop and use that. The old housing and bearing was shot I’ll post a pic of it below, not sure if Beachbummer will still want it? Anyhow, measured the one side of the driveshaft coming out of the housing with the micrometer (both pics below, measure top of driveshaft to where it meets the housing), pressed the shaft out of the old, added grease to the new housing & drive shaft to help when it was pressed, and then pressed it back into the new assembly. I did clean up some of that rust on the drive shaft and the housing area where the bearing housing goes into.
E3306986-CF39-4CE8-8791-F011405669ED.jpeg
9E602201-FD9D-414A-AFD6-DF3477B1E266.jpeg
7684DFBF-BF3E-48AD-836B-8C10EAD8FAFF.jpeg

So I didn’t really get any pics of reassembly because it’s obviously in backwards order. I hooked the tubing to the housing before I bolted it back on to grease the bearing, I know scary because greasing=bad lol. After I got some grease to come out of the tubing again, I hooked it up and gave it 5 pumps and called it good. I bolted the intermediate assembly back to where it goes. There’s a couple pins for lining up purposes, I had one still on the housing that the assembly goes on and then the new assembly came with more pins to replace the old ones. Sorry no pics here but it‘s easy to see once you’re doing it, it’s literally fool proof. I did add a tiny bit of gasket sealant on the back of the assembly before bolting on, probably don’t need it but felt it was needed. Place the grease tubing back on the housing fitting.

The next step was pushing the engine back to the assembly and engine coupler. I lined up the teeth (if you wanna call them that) to match with the engine when we moved it back. This made us think for a bit because some of the shims were misaligned. I could push the engine back myself, so what we did was I pushed it back a little bit and we then tapped the metal shims with a hammer and they slid right where they were supposed to go. We repeated this a couple times and got the engine aligned perfectly, shims perfectly, and then the motor mount bolts were placed and tightened. Below is a picture if you zoom in on it you can see the shims are slightly misaligned. Once you move it back the top shim seems to stay where it is, so just tap it in, just give it a little tappy tap.
FD939427-3AA2-4D64-96BC-733B5FCC5ADA.jpeg
E5C30EE7-57FF-4CAF-AE98-4828F31F725D.gif

I then wiggled that exhaust piece back into the rubber fittings, it can only go one way, if you look above there’s like a small key on the top edge of that exhaust pipe, it slides into that rubber fitting nearest the engine like that. After that was in I tightened the clamps. We then had some celebratory beers, the hardest part was done, putting the pump back in would be a breeze. I don’t like the Busch apple, For the record. Thank god I bought the bushings from Bruce many months ago for the steering linkage, since my bushings were missing, not to mention the damn bolt was flipped so we had to actually remove the bolt holding the CobraJet Steering on. We flipped this bolt around after the bushings were added, you’ll see in the picture below just a tiny bit of the blue material Bruce uses to print them. I am excited to see how much of a difference it will make in steering!
030FAA85-8595-457B-AA7F-403466990F1E.jpeg
5628E914-8E54-4414-9A8E-F81636D1DD6D.jpeg

Since we had some spare time here’s a pic of the transducer we installed. Used an existing hole, sealed the old ones, and drilled two new holes for the mount. Had to take the clean out tray off obviously to run the transducer wire. Cut the old wire, taped the new wire to it and pulled it to the helm. Used a bunch of heavy duty silicone to seal the through hole under the clean out tray since the parts store didn’t have 3M 4200. If it doesn’t work I’ll redo it but it should hold fine.
ED65F49E-8CC3-4439-BDA8-984A720019DD.jpeg

All in all, I think about anyone could do this job. I am 5’8” and 160lbs, so I can fit in tight spaces pretty well, I didn’t really think it was all too hard to get to any bolts. I will gladly help anyone in any way with doing this job. I plan to replace the other bearing in next year’s offseason just to have peace of mind. It felt sturdy without play when I messed with it but still skeptical how long it will last even though it isn’t leaking at all. I did use some medium loctite on the motor mount bolts and intermediate housing assembly bolts. Didn’t feel it was necessary for the pump bolts because I plan to grease the cones in the offseason, didn’t have any Epnoc grease on me to do it today. Just glad this job is done and was much easier than expected. Thank you all and all previous forum posts for guiding me. Thank you to CJS Jeff for answering my messages quickly when I had a couple questions prior to doing the job. I hope this step by step guide with photos gives the next person confidence in doing so! Happy boating everyone!
2121FAD8-1340-4111-AB36-ABF73407A3F1.gif

Last edited:

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happy to report that the new bearing seemed to have fixed my major leak. Bilge ran only a few times while we were out and it barely spit some water out. Drain plug barely had anything come out of it when pulled. I am going to get under the cleanout tray one more time to make sure everything is clamped and tight before I seal it again. The bushings on the steering linkage made my steering feel much smoother. The transducer we installed needs to be rotated down some since it wasn't picking anything up but water temp, easy fix though, just loosening the nut to angle it.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up, I have been suspecting my 2003 Sr230 was taking in water thru the intermediate bearings, yesterday out on the water I noticed a steady stream on the inside , today I filled the transom with water and they are both leaking out where the shaft enters the hullpretty good, I think it’s time for new ones, also are the shaft couplers supposed to have some gap between them , seems like starboard has no gap, thanks

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up, I have been suspecting my 2003 Sr230 was taking in water thru the intermediate bearings, yesterday out on the water I noticed a steady stream on the inside , today I filled the transom with water and they are both leaking out where the shaft enters the hullpretty good, I think it’s time for new ones, also are the shaft couplers supposed to have some gap between them , seems like starboard has no gap, thanks

my coupler on the port side seemed to have a decent gap that I wasn’t comfortable with which I assumed was due to the bearing and seal was absolutely shot. I could move the shaft a quarter inch or so after I had the bad bearing assembly and shaft in hand. My starboard side seemed tighter. When I replaced it with the new assembly I closed that gap that it had. So far so good as I have probably put another hour or two on it since replacing so I assume closing the gap I had was fine and probably actually better. Feel like any sort of gap would add play between the two and something would wear out? Just my gut feeling though!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

One thing to note because what I just replied really didn’t make sense in my brain about closing that gap… before I pulled the engine forward away from the assembly I move the shaft to close the gap, I then used a sharpie and marked the shaft where that depth was. Because once I moved the engine forward and took the assembly out that shaft moved on me anyhow. So I pulled the shaft to my marks and then measured with a micrometer to see how far I needed to press it back in to the new housing assembly. If that makes sense!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I'll pass on the housing since it does not look rebuildable.

Glad you got it figured out.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
One thing to note because what I just replied really didn’t make sense in my brain about closing that gap… before I pulled the engine forward away from the assembly I move the shaft to close the gap, I then used a sharpie and marked the shaft where that depth was. Because once I moved the engine forward and took the assembly out that shaft moved on me anyhow. So I pulled the shaft to my marks and then measured with a micrometer to see how far I needed to press it back in to the new housing assembly. If that makes sense!
makes sense bud
thanks

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up, I need to replace both of mine. Already have the parts just need some cooler temps. summers in Florida can be very warm.