• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Introduction and Questions Re FSH 190 and Scarab 195 Open ID

FLlover123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I’m new to this forum and new to jet boats period. We have a larger twin engine boat we use for the gulf. We are looking for a boat to use exclusively on the Choctawhatchee Bay /intercoastal near Destin FL. It will be docked in a lift on the flats in that area. We are considering the Yamaha 190 FSH. (I chose that as our boat from the list but we haven't purchased it yet.) It is advertised as a 16” draft. We are also considering a Scarab 195 Open ID. It is advertised as a 12” draft. If anyone owns either of these boats, I would love to know about your experience. Also, how literally should we consider the advertised drafts? We have very low water certain times of the year. The Yamaha does have a keel, which probably accounts for the additional draft. Does anyone have experience with the keel on the Yamaha being damaged when hitting a sandbar? Obviously, we will try to avoid it hitting the bottom, just concerned the keel may be particularly frail if it happens to get in sand. Any information you can give me will be helpful. We are on the brink of making a decision. Thanks for all of your help.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Had my 210 (21’ Yamaha center console) down in those exact waters for a week over the 4th. Boat has same advertised draft as 19’, no issues whatsoever. I’d agree with the Yamaha numbers, we were in very shallow places on occasion and had no issues. I will say, if you happen to get shallow I’d push it deeper before starting it.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've been coming down to your area for years. The last 3 with the 190 FSH and staying on Joe's Bayou. I think you'll love it.
Not that there's much of a tide there but I've only touched sand once on Crab Island at low tide. No issues. As far as handling, at least in spring when we're there --that bay is rarely flat and we've not had too many days where we weren't comfortable going out.

As far the jet, definitely a strange feeling compared to an outboard. They don't track worth a hoot and they feel "squirmy" when you're trying to hold course in a rolling sea. It just takes some getting used to and eventually you'll have fun with it. It's nice not having a transmission and a prop.

Drop me a line, happy to answer any specifics.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:!!! Thank you for signing up.

When it comes to jet boats, they act just like a jet ski except bigger. Lots of fun but can be frustrating at low speed steering. There is a small learning curve to get used to. The only thing you must pay attention too are weeds. Due to the jets sucking water it and forcing it out the back, anything on top of the water is fair game. Normally the SS props chop them up but they may get jammed. Yamaha boats have a plug you can pull to clear the obstruction. Scarabs do not but their shaft in inside a tube making it harder for things to get wrapped up. But still can happen. Just food for thought...

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. We love pictures. Share when you can. :winkingthumbsup"

FLlover123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I may take you up, highanddry, on your offer for specifics! We are doing a sea trial this week so we'll get to drive a jet boat for the first time, but it will be a bit before we can take delivery. We have to get a little work done on our lift first. If it all works out, I'll be back here with pics!