• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Introduction & Questions

RConcheiro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
NA
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NA
Good day... Complete newbie here. Wife and I are planning on purchasing a boat in the near future. We specifically want new because the dealership we are interested in buying from offers a Lifetime Engine Warranty and a Pre-Paid Maintenance package at 50% and they have a great reputation here in the Tampa Bay Area. The family consists of my wife and I and my boys (11 & 4 year old). We were looking at a Yamaha AR210, primarily because of the dual engines but we came to realize that with the boat, trailer, gas, coolers, etc. it would be pushing my Tundra (V6 unfortunately) to it's towing capacity. For safety and the assurance, we decided to go down to a 19ft. This will most likely (not 100% sure yet) help with storage since we have an open standard garage.

After hours of reading everyone's post on here, we am still torn between the AR190 ($35k) and 195S ($44k). The Tundra will tow these no problem, which is my main reason for narrowing it down to these two. I don't want to get a new truck because we just paid off the truck and that payment will now be going towards the boat without noticing much change in our finances. I've read the 195S requires premium gas since it's supercharged, and read that is guzzles gas compared to the AR190. As mentioned, we live in the Tampa Bay Area, so this will primarily be a salt water boat. My concern is the waves throwing the 19ft around. I know that will happen on the AR190 or 195S, but I would like something better safety wise (even if it means running away from the waves faster). We aren't that into watersports, yes we will do it occasionally but the primary focus is to just get us out on the water and enjoy the water here in the Bay Area. We will also not be driving far out, we will most likely just be doing sandbars, small islands, etc. Yes, many years down we might want to upgrade to a bigger boat and a bigger truck, but right now we just want to get out on the water and make family memories. After reading the many threads on here, the 190/195 will be good enough for our family until both kids grow older. I am sure once I get more experience and comfortable, I will want to upgrade to a larger boat.

I come from a background of absolutely no boating experience. So any tutorial or educational tips/sites will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and taking the time to help out.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Good day... Complete newbie here. Wife and I are planning on purchasing a boat in the near future. We specifically want new because the dealership we are interested in buying from offers a Lifetime Engine Warranty and a Pre-Paid Maintenance package at 50% and they have a great reputation here in the Tampa Bay Area. The family consists of my wife and I and my boys (11 & 4 year old). We were looking at a Yamaha AR210, primarily because of the dual engines but we came to realize that with the boat, trailer, gas, coolers, etc. it would be pushing my Tundra (V6 unfortunately) to it's towing capacity. For safety and the assurance, we decided to go down to a 19ft. This will most likely (not 100% sure yet) help with storage since we have an open standard garage.

After hours of reading everyone's post on here, we am still torn between the AR190 ($35k) and 195S ($44k). The Tundra will tow these no problem, which is my main reason for narrowing it down to these two. I don't want to get a new truck because we just paid off the truck and that payment will now be going towards the boat without noticing much change in our finances. I've read the 195S requires premium gas since it's supercharged, and read that is guzzles gas compared to the AR190. As mentioned, we live in the Tampa Bay Area, so this will primarily be a salt water boat. My concern is the waves throwing the 19ft around. I know that will happen on the AR190 or 195S, but I would like something better safety wise (even if it means running away from the waves faster). We aren't that into watersports, yes we will do it occasionally but the primary focus is to just get us out on the water and enjoy the water here in the Bay Area. We will also not be driving far out, we will most likely just be doing sandbars, small islands, etc. Yes, many years down we might want to upgrade to a bigger boat and a bigger truck, but right now we just want to get out on the water and make family memories. After reading the many threads on here, the 190/195 will be good enough for our family until both kids grow older. I am sure once I get more experience and comfortable, I will want to upgrade to a larger boat.

I come from a background of absolutely no boating experience. So any tutorial or educational tips/sites will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and taking the time to help out.
My advice would be get a 195 or 195s for that added power. Of course the rule of thumb is buy your 2nd boat first. Same reason I have a 195 is because it fits in my garage, my truck can easily tow a 210 or 240 but I don't want to pay to store offsite. But in your case if you know you want bigger than upgrade your tow vehicle or find somewhere to store it by the ramp or whatever.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How close is your Tundra’s towing capacity to the AR210’s weight??

I”m with @Crob83, get the bigger boat now.

RConcheiro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
NA
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NA
My advice would be get a 195 or 195s for that added power. Of course the rule of thumb is buy your 2nd boat first. Same reason I have a 195 is because it fits in my garage, my truck can easily tow a 210 or 240 but I don't want to pay to store offsite. But in your case if you know you want bigger than upgrade your tow vehicle or find somewhere to store it by the ramp or whatever.
That's another thing... I don't want to pay the additional storage fee and I don't even think we will go out as often as we think we are so a 19ft should be plenty for the occasional going out for our family of 4... I would think?

How close is your Tundra’s towing capacity to the AR210’s weight??

I”m with @Crob83, get the bigger boat now.
4500 - 4900lbs

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's another thing... I don't want to pay the additional storage fee and I don't even think we will go out as often as we think we are so a 19ft should be plenty for the occasional going out for our family of 4... I would think?

4500 - 4900lbs
So your truck tows 4500, and the AR 210 weighs 4900? If that is the case you should be fine towing, yes It is close but within spec. Toyota was the first to go to the SAE spec’d towing numbers, they are solid and a bit conservative, I am not suggesting you go over the tow weight.

According to Yamaha the dry weight of the AR210 with the trailer is 4224#, add 50 gallons of fuel 300#, you are at 4524#. That leaves you 376# of gear you could put on the boat while trailering and still be within the tow limit.. anything else you could put in the bed of the truck until you are at the ramp and prepping to put the boat in.

If you have not stood on or been in the 195 or the 210 you should as part of your decision making. Also, you may find that you like boating way more than you originally think so you may be spending more time on the boat that you anticipate.

RConcheiro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
NA
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NA
So your truck tows 4500, and the AR 210 weighs 4900? If that is the case you should be fine towing, yes It is close but within spec. Toyota was the first to go to the SAE spec’d towing numbers, they are solid and a bit conservative, I am not suggesting you go over the tow weight.

According to Yamaha the dry weight of the AR210 with the trailer is 4224#, add 50 gallons of fuel 300#, you are at 4524#. That leaves you 376# of gear you could put on the boat while trailering and still be within the tow limit.. anything else you could put in the bed of the truck until you are at the ramp and prepping to put the boat in.

If you have not stood on or been in the 195 or the 210 you should as part of your decision making. Also, you may find that you like boating way more than you originally think so you may be spending more time on the boat that you anticipate.
thanks for the great info. So when calculating the towing weight, is that not including the passengers within the vehicle? Or is that just amount that’s being attached to the hitch?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RConcheiro Personally I would not tow that boat, AR210, that close or over vehicle rating. Either a smaller boat or bigger tow vehicle.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a 190 owner, 100% salt water and in the middle of nowhere with occasional big waves and winds. The 190 series boats are a little low to the water in the bow and will get wind blown water splashed up and into the bow and cockpit with a combination of the right wind gust, boat speed and angle. Your instincts will tell you if you are getting into waves that you aren't ready for and if you're adventurous the 190 can go into surf-able wave sets and escape easily. The fuel efficiency I can only comment from mine which is CA model and super stingy on fuel and as Naturally Aspirated it runs Regular fuel.

Having the supercharger would be nice however for me its an added component that may increase servicing. The requirement of needing premium fuel is something you know going in so you should be budgeting that from the start. I'm towing weekly with a 2000 Tacoma V6, 2WD, 315k miles about 50 miles round trip with no problems. Last weekend I got my first chance to ride in a 21' Yamaha and it was big, super powerful and again it was big. It's taller off the water, a bit wider and uses the dual axle trailer. The tow vehicle for that was another V6 Tacoma and no problems. You would do well to take some test drives in both the 190 and the larger to make the best decision. No matter which you go you will have a blast though!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thanks for the great info. So when calculating the towing weight, is that not including the passengers within the vehicle? Or is that just amount that’s being attached to the hitch?
The tongue weight of the trailer counts towards the cargo that the truck can carry.

I’d have to see the manual for your truck but usually, the GVWR of the truck includes the weight on the hitch, cargo and passengers. The GVWR is never to be exceeded.

There is a trailer towing capacity which is the weight of the trailer, the trailer weight is part of the GCVWR or Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating which is the weight of the vehicle and the trailer combined. And usually the GCVWR is the gross weight of the truck at full cargo capacity, plus the trailer weight.

My one ton ford has a gvwr of 11,500 pounds, which includes passengers and cargo.

The trailer towing capacity is 21,000.

The GCVWR rating is right at 32,500 pounds. Not to be exceeded.

My truck weighs 7500 curb weight, with the hitch and a bit of cargo I’m at 8000. The trailer pin weight is 2450, so that puts me at 10,450 GVW with the trailer attached. So 1,050 left for additional cargo on the truck GVWR.

The total weight of the trailer including the pin weight on the truck is 12,000.

That puts my GCVW at 8000 curb + 12,000 trailer weight=20,000.

I have no problem towing up to the rated tow rating on my vehicle. Tow ratings have a safety factor built into many area’s of your truck, from the engine to the brakes to the chassis and hitch. In my other trucks that I have owned, I towed the same trailer and was at max rated tow capacity, both GVWR and GCVWR.

Does that make sense?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
it would be pushing my Tundra (V6 unfortunately) to it's towing capacity.
:Welcome:
I recommend going with the biggest and most powerful model you can afford and tow. I tow my 212s with my SUV at 5k capacity without issue. Boat scales out at 4900 lbs as we don't load it up too much to keep it under capacity. We originally looked at the 195s but the 210/212 hull has more room, much deeper cockpit, twin engines, and better performance and ride. I think if we only boated occasionally the 19ft would have sufficed, but we love getting on the water and boat as often as we can so we wanted the bigger boat. I'm pretty sure your Tundra V6 pulls 6500? If so that's plenty for the larger boat.

Before you decide, perhaps you can arrange a day with a friend or neighbour on their boat to see if you enjoy it enough? Or check this thread to see if there's a volunteer in your area:

We know people with nice boats who only go out a few times during the summer, and others who go out daily. It all depends on how much you like the water and boating. Storage is another issue to consider, but I'd still go as big as you can.
After hours of reading everyone's post on here, we am still torn between the AR190 ($35k) and 195S ($44k).
If it's between the 19ft models, go with the bigger power - AR195 or 195s models. The extra power is worth it.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
:Welcome:
I recommend going with the biggest and most powerful model you can afford and tow. I tow my 212s with my SUV at 5k capacity without issue. Boat scales out at 4900 lbs as we don't load it up too much to keep it under capacity. We originally looked at the 195s but the 210/212 hull has more room, much deeper cockpit, twin engines, and better performance and ride. I think if we only boated occasionally the 19ft would have sufficed, but we love getting on the water and boat as often as we can so we wanted the bigger boat. I'm pretty sure your Tundra V6 pulls 6500? If so that's plenty for the larger boat.

Before you decide, perhaps you can arrange a day with a friend or neighbour on their boat to see if you enjoy it enough? Or check this thread to see if there's a volunteer in your area:

We know people with nice boats who only go out a few times during the summer, and others who go out daily. It all depends on how much you like the water and boating. Storage is another issue to consider, but I'd still go as big as you can.

If it's between the 19ft models, go with the bigger power - AR195 or 195s models. The extra power is worth it.
AMEN! BBO (Big Boats Only)

RConcheiro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
NA
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NA
I think my truck can tow a lot more than what I initially thought. Everyone explained to me the towing situation and I went back and double check to manuel and found out my Tundra can tow double of what I thought I could. Thanks all.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I think my truck can tow a lot more than what I initially thought. Everyone explained to me the towing situation and I went back and double check to manuel and found out my Tundra can tow double of what I thought I could. Thanks all.
BBO!

RConcheiro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
NA
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
NA
Good news! Just put the deposit on the AR210. Now time to wait for it to come in! Thanks for all the great info. Just glad I was able to convince the wife to get the 21 instead of 19. Surprisingly, all it took was for the wife to sit in both and see the difference.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good news! Just put the deposit on the AR210. Now time to wait for it to come in! Thanks for all the great info. Just glad I was able to convince the wife to get the 21 instead of 19. Surprisingly, all it took was for the wife to sit in both and see the difference.
Good choice, you wont be disappointed with the extra space and twin engines

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
BOOM!

Papa Erp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great choice on the AR210. I bought mine new and had it for 5 years with zero problems. Just sold it a few months ago. Regular maint. oil change, spark plugs, regular gas, and good to go. You will be very happy @RConcheiro

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yup sitting in them really shows how different they are...my wife noticed the same thing and liked the "safer" feeling of the higher cockpit.