• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ipad Pro with Navionics pics

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those who may be interested, instead of a chart plotter, I decided to try my iPad Pro with the Navionics app. I used RAM suction mounts to prevent drilling holes. Also used the RAM suction for my phone. They hold fantastic. Had some big wakes and chop on the water yesterday and they never came loose.

I am happy with this arrangement. I don't really miss the depth and sonar readings. The chart contours are very accurate (match boat depthfinder) and are updated all the time, along with other user updates. I will probably wire up a double USB plug for backup power, but the battery lasts all day.

In the pic is the 10.5 X 8in pad in a case. I like vertical view as I can see further up the direction of travel.

Attachments

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I currently use my iPhone, suctioned to the window next to the helm. I am thinking of using an iPad with a cup holder mount, which seems like it would be more stable. Many people state that an actual charting unit is more reliable, but I don't see how that statement can be made.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you use data on the ipad or does the gps work independently?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you use data on the ipad or does the gps work independently?
I wonder the same thing...
If you preload the maps, does it let you use them without using up data /your cell phone plan?
(Anyone with teenage children will understand where I'm coming from...)

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember looking years ago, and the Navionics app was the only one that had pre-loaded maps.

I'm on the fence about using a tablet as a chartplotter.

Pros
Already have a tablet
App/case/mount is cheaper than dedicated GPS device
No wiring
Simple/No installation
Easy to prevent theft (take it with you)

Cons
Not as robust as a dedicated unit in terms of living through shock, water intrusion,heat, etc.
No water temp display
Unsure which GPS signal is being used (is it grabbing location from the local cell tower, or satellites themselves?)
battery life (possibly overcome with constant charging port)
Overly complex for task at hand (violation of kiss principle)

I can really see both sides. I suppose it's a matter of the risk of it NOT working when needed. For my local inland lakes, and some light river cruising I would probably be fine. Don't think I would I trust just that setup for the Bimini trip.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, once the maps are downloaded, it only uses the phone's GPS to track on the charts. If I remember correctly, it only triangulates its position off the cell towers if it cannot acquire the satellites... out in the middle of water usually gives the phone a clear line of site. I do keep my cell constantly plugged in, which would be no different than having a navigation unit hard wired. If the boat's power supply died, the hard wired navigation unit will shut off, unlike a cell which still has a pretty hefty battery. Not sure why it would be more risky for a trip to Bimini.

I'll address the cons:
Cons
Not as robust as a dedicated unit in terms of living through shock, water intrusion, heat, etc. - phones are water resistant
No water temp display - does not affect navigation
Unsure which GPS signal is being used (is it grabbing location from the local cell tower, or satellites themselves?) - as stated above, satellites are primary
battery life (possibly overcome with constant charging port) - addressed above, plugged in plus the battery if all power is lost
Overly complex for task at hand (violation of kiss principle) - iPhone is the simplest GUI, my children easily navigate it, it became so popular due to its simple to understand GUI

I can really see both sides. I suppose it's a matter of the risk of it NOT working when needed. For my local inland lakes, and some light river cruising I would probably be fine. Don't think I would I trust just that setup for the Bimini trip. - still don't see how it wouldn't be good for a Bimini trip.

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can download the map and use it without using any data. My iPad is wifi only...no GPS receiver. To make it work, I picked up a Garmin Glo for $100. It can receive data from up to 24 satellites and connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. Very accurate. Rubberized feet keep it in place on the dash.
You can size the map however big you'd like it in the region that you are subscribed to. We trailered down to Miami and I downloaded the Key Biscayne area where we were likely to go. Worked great.. If I had to, I could connect to my phone via a hotspot.

Attachments

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Navionics app also has Auto Routing where it picks the safest route based on depth and hazards. Many of the chart plotters have this feature disabled because of liability. You can search restaurants and marinas with phone numbers and user reviews and route right to them. You can also record your track to find your way back and have a history of your boating in a particular area.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overly complex wasn't in reference to the interface. Arguably the interface is better than dedicated units, I'll give on that. The OS and supporting hardware features that are superfluous to a chartplotter is what I was referencing. The hardware/software setup in general is more complex than it needs to be by a significant amount.

Phones are water resistant, not water proof. With the notable exception of some of the phones that pass the Mil spec electronics resiliency tests, a marine rated embedded device is hands down more capable than an iPhone of withstanding a rainstorm in pounding seas, or heat soaking in the sun for hours on end. The build difference between the two is significant. Coated circuit boards, seals on case joints, and rubberized buttons are notable features missing from an iPhone. An Otterbox will get you close I suppose.

The take on an independent battery aside from the vessels battery is an interesting one. I suppose there is a safety net there, although if you lose power to the vessel, you won't much have a need to navigate as you'll be adrift anyway. Providing coordinates would be important if your handheld radio can reach the coast guard or nearby vessel.

Gut still tells me a dedicated unit will be more robust and a better choice for going offshore, although I can't point to an exact reason. To each their own I suppose.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I used my s6 active on a ram mount with navionics for bimini this year.
Ram mount is awesome.
Navionics is remarkably accurate.
My phone did get covered in salt spray on the return trip but the active food fine.
I kept my phone in airplane mode the whole trip except in the condo to use wifi for other things.
My phone did fine but in the months leading up and after it was having charging issues so now i have an s8 active.
Many that use tablets or phones report overheating so i kept my phone low and behind the tinted windshield.
The active series have a slightly beefier frame which may help keep it cool as well.
I was confident enough with it that when i mistook the jet ski group as my group taking off without me i pursued and ended up solo between groups and didn't feel concerned on my return trip.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used my s6 active on a ram mount with navionics for bimini this year.
Ram mount is awesome.
Navionics is remarkably accurate.
My phone did get covered in salt spray on the return trip but the active food fine.
I kept my phone in airplane mode the whole trip except in the condo to use wifi for other things.
My phone did fine but in the months leading up and after it was having charging issues so now i have an s8 active.
Many that use tablets or phones report overheating so i kept my phone low and behind the tinted windshield.
The active series have a slightly beefier frame which may help keep it cool as well.
I was confident enough with it that when i mistook the jet ski group as my group taking off without me i pursued and ended up solo between groups and didn't feel concerned on my return trip.
Empirical evidence and testing trumps my "gut feel" any day. Good info.

Do you think your charging issue was due to the salt spray? Did you have a case?

The Samsung Active line is a pretty hardy phone. Very similar to the old Motorolla phones Nextel used. Those things were damn near indestructible.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Empirical evidence and testing trumps my "gut feel" any day. Good info.

Do you think your charging issue was due to the salt spray? Did you have a case?

The Samsung Active line is a pretty hardy phone. Very similar to the old Motorolla phones Nextel used. Those things were damn near indestructible.
My charging issue was several months prior due to the tab in the phone being bent when i ripped it out of the charger too quick. Had to rest the cord against something to keep it charging. I use a wireless dock at home.
Got worse and worse so itwas time.
I think my case was body glove or something. I just buy the cheapest case with a holster and decent reviews.
A side note: my waterproof handheld vhf worked fine but the charger had issues and it needed time to dry out.
Our return trip we got enough salt spray my one kids shorts were crunchy, my wife's skin sparkled and i had to keep wiping the phone screen off from early spray.

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We use our IPads with Navionics as well. We link iPads and phones to a “Bad Elf” gps which is accurate to 9 feet. I can see my dot walking through my house .... gives a lot of confidence navigating some narrow spots around Sanibel waters in SW Florida

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those who may be interested, instead of a chart plotter, I decided to try my iPad Pro with the Navionics app. I used RAM suction mounts to prevent drilling holes. Also used the RAM suction for my phone. They hold fantastic. Had some big wakes and chop on the water yesterday and they never came loose.

I am happy with this arrangement. I don't really miss the depth and sonar readings. The chart contours are very accurate (match boat depthfinder) and are updated all the time, along with other user updates. I will probably wire up a double USB plug for backup power, but the battery lasts all day.

In the pic is the 10.5 X 8in pad in a case. I like vertical view as I can see further up the direction of travel.
NeverAgain3 I am a new owner of a 2016 242 Limited and the boat was loaded with features when I bought it used but the previous owner had no navigation installed. I have duplicated your setup above ... I thought you had a great idea since I already have a built in depth depth finder on the 2016 242 Limited and I really didn't want to start drilling holes in my new to me boat....and I already had the ipad in a lifeproof case.

Here is my question the chart plotter worked well the first time out except it seemed I could "drive off the screen". In other words it didn't center the boat on the screen as I made headway along my route. I could scroll down and manually re-center with my finger. Is there a setting I need to change. I have the orientation set to heads up rather than true north or course up.

Thanks Joe

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NeverAgain3 I am a new owner of a 2016 242 Limited and the boat was loaded with features when I bought it used but the previous owner had no navigation installed. I have duplicated your setup above ... I thought you had a great idea since I already have a built in depth depth finder on the 2016 242 Limited and I really didn't want to start drilling holes in my new to me boat....and I already had the ipad in a lifeproof case.

Here is my question the chart plotter worked well the first time out except it seemed I could "drive off the screen". In other words it didn't center the boat on the screen as I made headway along my route. I could scroll down and manually re-center with my finger. Is there a setting I need to change. I have the orientation set to heads up rather than true north or course up.

Thanks Joe
Joe,
I dont have the app (yet) but it seems that you need to select a button on the lower portion of the screen to keep it centered on your location. Here is the article from Navionics that explains it.

https://navionics.secure.force.com/kb/articles/en_US/Knowledge_Article/Mobile-Course-Up-Chart-Rotation

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am glad you guys have this all figured out. I was just testing locally planning for a trip in my AR195 to Michigan. The biggest hangup was the GPS piece since my iPad is Wifi only. I am also looking at a way to use a drone mount for the Mavic that should work with the '19s stock phone holder. I have it, just havent had time to test it:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Can you see an iPad’s screen in the sunlight? I have an extremely hard time seeing my iPhone’s screen in the direct sunlight. I never take my iPad outside but I imagine it’s the same. My iPhone has also overheated in the sun as well.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you see an iPad’s screen in the sunlight? I have an extremely hard time seeing my iPhone’s screen in the direct sunlight. I never take my iPad outside but I imagine it’s the same. My iPhone has also overheated in the sun as well.
I installed this on my ipad, works well

and yes, I have overheated my ipad while using the app. I am planning to upgrade to a simrad soon, but the ipad and navionics has worked well (except once) in NJ intercoastal, and back bays for 3 seasons.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am glad you guys have this all figured out. I was just testing locally planning for a trip in my AR195 to Michigan. The biggest hangup was the GPS piece since my iPad is Wifi only. I am also looking at a way to use a drone mount for the Mavic that should work with the '19s stock phone holder. I have it, just havent had time to test it:

View attachment 97267
I am not sure if this will solve the wifi only issue but I think it will. Its basically a gps receiver that connects via Bluetooth. The Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver 010-02184-01...about $100 on Amazon. I have cellular on my ipad but I may try this for increased accuracy. So far the ipad solution has worked well for me and the touch screen functionality is an upgrade from the old Garmin I had on the last boat. I haven't had any overheating issues... when not underway I stash it in the shade. I could always put it in the cooler too the case is 100% waterproof.