• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ipilot trolling motor mount problems

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just bought a 2016 Fsh Deluxe. It is back at the dealership so they could install a new minn kota 24v 80lb thrust ipilot trolling motor. I want it to be mounted to a quick disconnect plate so that it can be removed for water sports. Apparently the Fsh 190 has a bow that is not mount friendly for the saltwater series ipilot due to clearance issues. The dealer is trying to get an adapter plate fab up in order to mount the trolling motor with all 6 bolts. Minn kota said they have been mounting with only 3 bolts allowing the motor to hang off the bow more for clearance. Any help here? I don't want my new ipilot to rip the bolts thru the rail of my new boat due to improper mounting. Any help here?

Last edited:

KevKline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks. I recently bought an FSH Sport that's still at the dealership getting rigged. They texted me a picture of the trolling motor installed yesterday with the quick-release mount. Never dawned on me to ask how many bolts they were able to use. I will ask them. They didn't mention having to fabricate anything special or any concerns.

Attachments

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am not sure about any of it because I am new to small boat world. I have used older small boats with peddle control trolling motors and never paid any attention to mounts or mount plates. So it's all news to me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fiberglass in that area is fairly substantial and 3 bolts should be adequate as long as they back the nuts with washers, which I'm sure they will do.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Stand by...I'm digging for a photo now.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have that setup dealer used the MKA-21 COMP PDAPQRB plate to mount mine which is a quick disconnect in case I want to put on a cover. Not sure how many bolts they put in but I was in pretty rough water the other day without any issues. You can check out all my FSH Deluxe mods here:
https://jetboaters.net/media/albums/marlin-fsh-addons.206/

Trolling motor pics (Riptide ST 24v with 80") FYI the dealer installed batteries in the port side rear. Boat leaned too much so I moved the 2 batteries to the front.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here you go...
I already had the Minn-Kota RTA-17 quick mount from the old boat.

For this new boat, I purchased an 8" x 24" piece of 1" thick Starboard and fabricated that base plate in the photo and mounted the "boat side" puck from the RTA17 to it.
It may seem a little long but I wanted to try and get the I-pilot as close to the boat center line as practical. The FSH doesn't have the best bow shape to easily make that happen so you will need to have some bow overhang on that mount. Only my recommendation but...the FSH isn't the best "tracking" boat in the world so you'll want to try and sneak as close to the center line as you're able. If you're going to do a lot of trolling, you'll be happy you did.
You can keep sliding things around until you're happy with the position and then mark your holes and drill away. I was easily able to catch four holes in the base plate which keeps mine nice and secure. I just spent a couple weeks down in Florida on Choctawhatchee Bay and out in the Gulf with not a lot of smooth water during our stay...it did very well.
This is the only photo I have here on my cell phone, I could take and post some better ones later tonight perhaps if needed.
IMG_20160322_115147371.jpg

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Boat leaned too much so I moved the 2 batteries to the front.
Totally agree. That little pointy floor area down in the console hold under the forward deck will hold two batteries just perfectly. You can mount your heavy amp circuit breaker right next to the batteries and your 3 bank battery charger right behind those on the side wall. Run one charger bank wire set back to the starting battery and the other two to your trolling batteries and you are all set.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Sorry, I see I got ahead of myself there. I just re-read your OP. You weren't looking for instruction...it's already dealer installed.
Anyway, please post a photo or two and show us what they did.

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking of moving my batteries to the bow of the boat like yours. I do kot like the boat to list to one side. I am wondering if the dealer can do it while they have it. I will contact them and check up. As soon as I can I will post pics of the new rig.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking of moving my batteries to the bow of the boat like yours. I do kot like the boat to list to one side. I am wondering if the dealer can do it while they have it. I will contact them and check up. As soon as I can I will post pics of the new rig.
I'm wondering why they would have installed the batteries in the rear, because Yamaha intended the trolling batts to be in the bow in their molded battery tray.

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My boat already has 2 batteries in the port side stern void. The dealership says they add the 3rd battery in the same location.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My dealer only installed 3 batteries when I should have received 4. 1 in the rear for cranking and 1 house battery then 2 for trolling motor. I had all 3 in the rear port side compartment with my heavy duty charger and the trolling motor installed on the port side. Might have made for some decent wake for surfing but not good for everyday use. Since most of the chargers only have 5 to 6 foot cables I am installing mine under the console. Got me a refurb coming from Charger Guy with 6ft cables. Run 2 up front to trolling batteries then the power cord and 3rd bank to the rear. Since I have run a 3 battery system for a long time its not too bad usually not out long enough to kill all 3 batteries.

Also run to lowes and pick up the smallest rubber stopper they are usually in the drawers with all the custom screws area. http://www.lowes.com/pd_139554-37672-881325___?productId=3013262&pl=1&Ntt=rubber+stopper

You can put this in your front seat holder to keep water from getting in.

Last edited:

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
PS if you have any shoes with black tread go ahead and throw them away and don't allow anyone in your boat with black tread...LOL My favorite New Balances have black tread and I have made a mess in my boat.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer went cheap on me as well and only installed 3 batteries when I should have received 4. 1 in the rear for cranking and 1 house battery then 2 for trolling motor. I had all 3 in the rear port side compartment with my heavy duty charger and the trolling motor installed on the port side. Might have made for some decent wake for surfing but not good for everyday use. Since most of the chargers only have 5 to 6 foot cables I am installing mine under the console. Got me a refurb coming from Charger Guy with 6ft cables. Run 2 up front to trolling batteries then the power cord and 3rd bank to the rear. Since I have run a 3 battery system for a long time its not too bad usually not out long enough to kill all 3 batteries.

Also run to lowes and pick up the smallest rubber stopper they are usually in the drawers with all the custom screws area. http://www.lowes.com/pd_139554-37672-881325___?productId=3013262&pl=1&Ntt=rubber+stopper

You can put this in your front seat holder to keep water from getting in.
If you have a Promariner charger, they sell 5' and 15' lead extensions so you can mount your charger anywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Mariner-15-Feet-Battery-Cable-Extender/dp/B000KOR766

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I am sure that is what my dealer has in mind.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Cool Deal!!!! I am sure I will mimic your setup if they only add a 3rd battery. I do not want to deal with the boat being heavy on the port side.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Jay936 Will post some pics of my front battery setup with my new charger.

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks Billy. By the way can you let me know what type and brand of caulk you are using in order to seal up your dash controls.