• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Iridium spark plugs. Worth the $$$$?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to order my spark plugs for next year's plug change now, so I have them on hand. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the money to upgrade to the iridium plugs? The are a LOT more expensive than the regular NKGs I've been using.

Is the difference more like, "holy crap, I have a NEW BOAT!!", or is it more like, "Hmm, I think it's running better, maybe a little faster? I'm not sure..."?

Because dang, those iridium plugs are expensive...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of opinions on here about these....here's mine....

Its a spark....it either sparks or it doesn't....

If you change your plugs annually....why spend the money....others swear by them.....

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's kind of what I was leaning towards. I've heard some pretty impressive claims about the iridiums though.

Of course, I still use dinosaur juice as motor oil; a lot of the benefit of synthetics is the longer change interval, and it's getting changed every year regardless. For all the more hours I put on it each summer (mostly weekends, for less than 4 months, a lot of anchoring at a party cove), I don't see synthetics doing much good for me vs. the virtually new oil that I suck out of it every oil change.

I'm trying to figure out how the regular NKGs vs the Iridiums play out in my way of thinking.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
NO, save your $$, any possible gain will not be noticeable and with changing them out as often as we do its a total waste of $$

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried iridiums once. I didn't notice enough of a difference if any to justify doing it again. Like @Julian said, it hurt throwing them away at the start of the next season because they cost so much more $

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1. Tried them and never saw the value.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm gonna diverge from the pack.

YES - they are worth the money.

Performance wise I don't see a whole lot of gain, but I have been running the same plugs for 4 years. Even fogged the motors with them a couple of those years and they are still running strong. I used to spend a whole lot of time in no wake mode idling out of a long slough to boat and fouled my plugs at least once a year. So my $ .o2 is they are worth it, but obviously other posters have not seen them as worth the $$$

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You don't have any concerns about the plugs seizing in your engines if you don't replace them every year?

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, that is a very good point @MOA_Chaser . I've pulled them 2 of the last 4 years and replaced them with old plugs just to fog the motors and then reinstalled in the same cylinders. I also used anti seize. I fogged the motors with them the 1st year and the last year. I am sure I will replace the soon as I'm not quite hitting 10,200 rpms on the top end anymore, but the motors run good. Hard to toss them while everything is running ok!

Last edited by a moderator:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Haven't used them, don't intend to...I do annual plug changes and will continue that even on the 1.8L. These are boats, not cars or truck. The environment is just different IMO. My take is if I am going to pull them to inspect, clean, gap, and replace per the manual, and the crush washer/gasket is now ruined, I might as well just replace them and not fool with all of that.

Another take on this for me at least, is I want to know what my boat is doing, and if I don't look, I don't know. I believe once a year to look at my oil, my filters, my plugs and spend some time "under the hood" is proactive and preventative, and I enjoy it!

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm gonna diverge from the pack.

YES - they are worth the money.

Performance wise I don't see a whole lot of gain, but I have been running the same plugs for 4 years. Even fogged the motors with them a couple of those years and they are still running strong. I used to spend a whole lot of time in no wake mode idling out of a long slough to boat and fouled my plugs at least once a year. So my $ .o2 is they are worth it, but obviously other posters have not seen them as worth the $$$
I'll side with you...I'm on year 3 and generally fog after every outing.

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have run them since season 2. I used to foul the std plugs due to the no wake running like 007. I run them 3 seasons then replace. I fog only at winterization time. Replaced them this year and the old plugs looked good after the three seasons. I kept one set as spare for myself or fellow boater. I also used high temp (gold) anti-seize. I had no issue pulling them after the three seasons.

sdynak

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to chime in on this.. aside from no noticeable difference when I used them in my 232 limited they also went after just 1 year.. so off to standard I went.. no point spending the extra $ when they don't last nor make any difference.. Buy a 12 pack instead with the savings.. you will be much happier in the end :).

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all.

I just ordered (8) CR9EB from Advance Auto for in-store pickup. Regular price, $3.79 each. I found a $10 off $30 order coupon code (PC4U123) and was able to apply it successfully a few minutes ago. Total damage, including tax, $21.54 for eight plugs = $2.69 each! Can't beat that! :D

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to diverge from the pack a bit too... I used std for several years. I would notice performance dropping off at the end of the season and change them annually. Note that we are heavy water sports with skiiing, tubing, etc...

Thought I would try Iridiums. Made it solid for one season. OK, let them ride another season. Performance suffered at the end of season 2. Just changed them out and gained about 300 rpm top end and run noticeably smoother and the engines are "singing" again. I may try them for 2 years but most likely go annually.

Despite the extra cost, they run better for me, make it through a whole season (but not 2), etc. I am going to spend the extra and keep using them...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @MOA_Chaser , I used the same code and ordered a set of spares for the Bimini trip. My local tax rate is a little higher so my total was $22.17 for 8 plugs!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just my two cents...Talked with a Yamaha service tech before changing plugs and oil this spring. He was of the opinion that if those plugs were really that much better then Yamaha would have put them in at the factory. I have to believe that. So, I saved my money and installed the NGK's. Used the extra money on cold, adult beverages to enjoy after the job was complete!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So what I want to know...is why you didn't order 16? Coupon and a deal X2! I kept a set in my storage container in the boat, gapped, anti-seized, and ready to go, and a spare set in the shop. That way I was ready for anything...and with an annual change, I never needed them. I am going to see what the damage for the LFR6A is!