• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is buying a new boat worth it?

Freshwaterpirate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2006 ar210 have had it for 3 years. It's a good boat but the problem is.... well it's gutless here in Utah. 5 people in the boat and a single man tube I struggle to go anywhere. I'm looking at a brand new 212x but I don't want to be in the same situation anyone have good feed back on power boating at high elevations?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The Yamahas have a high altitude impeller kit. See if your dealer would work with you to install those if you're buying new.

We bought a new 212X a couple months ago and I gotta say, it was worth it. Yes, I'll lose money on it when I got to sell it, but I plan on keeping this boat for a long time, at least until the kids are in or out of college. This boat definitely has the power and the space to entertain and put all your junk for a day's outing. My wife and kids surfed for the 1st time Sunday and they are still excited for the next time we can go and do it again.

My wife and I are pretty frugal with our spending. We can easily afford this boat and much more, but we chose to spend the money on this new boat because it's more about the memories and interaction we'll get with our kids and as a family, instead of sitting on our butts at the house each weekend looking at FB and playing computer games. My 10 year old son only has 8 more summers with us before he's off to college, so we're trying to make the best of them.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A 210 or a 190 is going to be a slug and higher elevations, just the plain facts of it. All boats are less at those elevations than they are at sea level. Even turbo boats will be less up there than at sea level, but they do maintain their sea level performance much higher than normally aspirated engines. I would poo poo the need for a premium fuel drinking, higher maintenance requiring, turbo or supercharged engine and just get more power in a 212 or 240 with bigger engines. I ran on Lake Powell, from the Wahweap Marina to Rainbow Bridge in an hour and 8 minutes, so I know I had good performance up there. Now, add 3 more adults and throw out a tube, and you know any boat is going to be less there than at sea level, but either the 212 or the 240/242 will be fine...but it doesn't have to be "New", just new to you!

Freshwaterpirate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feed back I guess what I was getting at is if they did upgrade the horse power in newer years. I don't want a race boat I just want to be able to enjoy the boat with more than 2 friends :jimlad:
And I want a new boat used ones are few and far between. I already have my ar210 on the market for less than a day and have a few people wanting it hopefully I didn't under price it!