• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Is it time for Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
With K2 Energy winning the 81Million dollar contract for batteries to power the next generation of rail gun technology, it got me looking closer at LiFePO4 batteries. I didn't realize their benefits and that they were available at a reasonable cost now.

There are a bunch of guy on here smarter than me, anyone smart on this technology? Seems like it can put out a lot of power, recharge super fast, it's light, much safer than standard lithium, cleaner,. There are some downfalls in energy density but it doesn't seem horrible. Looks like it does require a battery management system but they don't look too bad.

https://www.valence.com/solutions/marine/

Maybe some of the super audio system guys would know about them. With the high discharge rates, seems like the need for giant capacitors would be reduced.

https://www.valence.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/product_range.png

This was a cool comparison. It's a few years old and the prices are for crazy big marine systems but cool pros and cons. http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/li-vs-la.pdf

What do you think....overkill for our boats?

Scratch that....I saw a motorcycle version for a couple hundred bucks but the serious marine versions are a couple thousand bucks...YIKES...Not yet I guess. Still pretty cool technol0gy though.

Their true advantage is weight. I cant say that I would bother on a boat. On my dirtbike, however, the shorei battery saved 8lbs. On a bike thats big. Cam.

If you wanted to build a light weight battery you could use 18650 or other lithium rechargeable cells. For example this 10 Pack on Amazon is $1.80 per battery. Those batteries are likely over rated, I would guess that 3Ah is more likely than the 5 that they claim. They weigh approximately 1.7 ounces each and are 2.75" x .75". Using 144 of them you could build four banks of 36 batteries then place them in series. The 144 batteries would weigh less than 16 pounds plus the wiring and casing. They could be assembled into a 3' by 3" by 4" assembly. Combined they would provide 108 Ah of 14.8 volts. The batteries would cost $270 plus the time and materials to assemble them. I believe this is very similar to how Tesla builds their battery packs. These batteries are often used in laptop batteries. Many have over charge protection built in.

If I did not already have two 100Ah AGM batteries in our boat I would consider building a couple of battery packs.

51pw1O%2BPDfL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I wouldn't hold my breath. Dilithium Crystals can only be mined from a few planets, such as Remus, Halkan, Dozaria and Troyius.

If you wanted to build a light weight battery you could use 18650 or other lithium rechargeable cells. For example this 10 Pack on Amazon is $1.80 per battery. Those batteries are likely over rated, I would guess that 3Ah is more likely than the 5 that they claim. They weigh approximately 1.7 ounces each and are 2.75" x .75". Using 144 of them you could build four banks of 36 batteries then place them in series. The 144 batteries would weigh less than 16 pounds plus the wiring and casing. They could be assembled into a 3' by 3" by 4" assembly. Combined they would provide 108 Ah of 14.8 volts. The batteries would cost $270 plus the time and materials to assemble them. I believe this is very similar to how Tesla builds their battery packs. These batteries are often used in laptop batteries. Many have over charge protection built in.

If I did not already have two 100Ah AGM batteries in our boat I would consider building a couple of battery packs.

51pw1O%2BPDfL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Standard lithium too scary for me in my boat. The Lithium Iron are much safer.

Back