• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is now (COVID) the WORST time to buy a boat? Seems like demand has skyrocketed

JoshCanSwim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like all the used boats in my area (Vegas) are totally sold out and all the new ones already purchased months before they come in.

Is this normal for boat purchasing? I'm assuming this is due to COVID and everyone and their dog wanting a boat (me included) :)

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely a sellers market with no supply and all the demand. Slim chance of finding a good deal under these conditions. Everyone is taking the summer vacation funds and dumping it in boats and RVs. If you can wait I'd anticipate the used market flooded with these same boats over the next couple of years.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is not normal. Being out in a boat is a perfect way to have fun while social distancing. No one is traveling rt now so as @AncientCanoe said they are taking their vacation/stimulus money and buying boats and other recreational vehicles. Combine that w/ the factories being shut down for months and it's the perfect storm. It was dumb luck but I'm glad we picked up our boat last Fall.

I also agree that once this thing tails off that there will be tons of good used boats out there. But my guess it will be the winter of 21/22 when all of these newbies are looking at those boats they can't use and the payments they keep having to make and will start to change their minds.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
COVID was created by the underground boat manufacturing kingdom of Dwarves to create a high demand! :p

throttlebc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I've always understood the only good time to buy a boat is when you really want one. I'm new to this forum, our family is new to boating, and we're looking forward to trying something new and different! If it doesn't work out, someone will get a good deal selling or buying down the road. :)

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not normal. Being out in a boat is a perfect way to have fun while social distancing. No one is traveling rt now so as @AncientCanoe said they are taking their vacation/stimulus money and buying boats and other recreational vehicles. Combine that w/ the factories being shut down for months and it's the perfect storm. It was dumb luck but I'm glad we picked up our boat last Fall.

I also agree that once this thing tails off that there will be tons of good used boats out there. But my guess it will be the winter of 21/22 when all of these newbies are looking at those boats they can't use and the payments they keep having to make and will start to change their minds.
Same. Bought my 08 SX230 with 100h in November for 14k. Would seem laughable nowadays...

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Bought my 2011 180 Challenger with every option possible for $21k (CAD) back beginning of June. Buddy of mine that came to help pick it up sent me an online ad for the same boat, same hours, same year with no tower/options sell for $28k (CAD)... i know it sold because when i went to show my Father a couple of days later, ad was gone and boat was sold.

I think @grywlfbg is right... If you can, save your pennies now. Because in a year or two, the market will be flooded...

Im almost tempted to see if i can make a few thousand off mine and sit out a summer or so until the market floods with bigger newer boats :p

JoshCanSwim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, glad it isn't just me then!

I am looking at buying a boat and normally there is tons of used inventory and general inventory sitting around, now... nothing anywhere! :)

I didn't know if maybe it was because I was in Vegas now and before I was familiar only with Missouri's Ozarks boating market or something.

Thanks for the info and yeah, good advice on waiting a year to buy some sweet deals on used!!!!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like all the used boats in my area (Vegas) are totally sold out and all the new ones already purchased months before they come in.

Is this normal for boat purchasing? I'm assuming this is due to COVID and everyone and their dog wanting a boat (me included) :)
Worst time for anything to do with outdoors. Treated lumber, plants, trees, grills, boats, RVs, RV boat storage, etc. etc.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

@JoshCanSwim .....three hours ago I could not have answered your question. Then I went to my dealer to pick-up some parts and order a clean-out plug repair kit (just in case). The salesman who sold us our 2020 SX195 said his dealership will not receive 2021s until this fall or winter as the Yamaha factory is on partial shifts and the biggest dealers will get product first.....which gets me to your question. He said he could sell my 2020 SX195 for 4-5K over cost - right now. He gets asked several times a day for SX 195, AR195 and 195S models and a few calls a week for the 21 footers. I asked him if he was serious - he said he would make a couple of calls as soon as I said yes. I asked the Admiral if she wanted to sell (and make some $$$$) and she said no. I would have sold - still will if she changes her mind. I'm betting the salesman will give it a couple of days and call me back. If she changes her mind in the next couple of days I will be boatless! So, I don't think this is a good time to buy - I think 2022 WILL be a good time to buy when people unload all their C19 purchases - from boats to cottages. :cool:

JoshCanSwim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JoshCanSwim .....three hours ago I could not have answered your question. Then I went to my dealer to pick-up some parts and order a clean-out plug repair kit (just in case). The salesman who sold us our 2020 SX195 said his dealership will not receive 2021s until this fall or winter as the Yamaha factory is on partial shifts and the biggest dealers will get product first.....which gets me to your question. He said he could sell my 2020 SX195 for 4-5K over cost - right now. He gets asked several times a day for SX 195, AR195 and 195S models and a few calls a week for the 21 footers. I asked him if he was serious - he said he would make a couple of calls as soon as I said yes. I asked the Admiral if she wanted to sell (and make some $$$$) and she said no. I would have sold - still will if she changes her mind. I'm betting the salesman will give it a couple of days and call me back. If she changes her mind in the next couple of days I will be boatless! So, I don't think this is a good time to buy - I think 2022 WILL be a good time to buy when people unload all their C19 purchases - from boats to cottages. :cool:
Oh wow and yeah, sell now, save money for a few months in having no boat expenses then get back into the game next year! :) lol

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Terrible time to to buy vehicles as well, In my experience the last few weeks anyway.

a friend of mine sold their little fishing boat within minutes of posting it for sale. Sight unseen and full price. He bought a boat a few days later and when he picked it up the guy told him he was getting calls from people hundreds of miles away saying they would pay an extra $1000 if he would hold it until they got there😳

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Oh wow and yeah, sell now, save money for a few months in having no boat expenses then get back into the game next year! :) lol
@JoshCanSwim ......sooooo not a couple of days!!!!! Salesman called me about 15 minutes after I posted my reply to you on this forum LOL! He lives near me, wants to drop over tonight to discuss a selling price. The Admiral (wife) still doesn't want to sell. I'm ready to if I can get my money out minus say a $1,000.00 commission to him. We'll see? :cool:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay, glad it isn't just me then!

I am looking at buying a boat and normally there is tons of used inventory and general inventory sitting around, now... nothing anywhere! :)

I didn't know if maybe it was because I was in Vegas now and before I was familiar only with Missouri's Ozarks boating market or something.

Thanks for the info and yeah, good advice on waiting a year to buy some sweet deals on used!!!!
I think it’s worse out west, there are just less Yamahas and dealers out here. just look at the jetboaters member map.
I had a hard time finding my boat last summer way before COVID and I was searching a several hundred mile radius.

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for Jet Ski's last summer was a nightmare! Dealers were snapping up all the decent inventory posted online and everything was at top dollar.
Called a new post, 4 hours away and told the guy I was headed his way. In the meantime he had 2 people call and try to jump ahead of the line offering more money. The guy was great an waited for me to arrive. (Called twice verifying I was still on the way!) 28 hours on matching pair of HO Waverunners W/ trailer at a good price.
Then purchased the AR 240 in October. Like new, only 13 hours on it. Paid about 4K under new but did not fuss or try to deal cause like buying a new boat anyway.
The way the year has been, felt lucky to find anything decent at a reasonable price.
BTW - Sold my 19' Tahoe deck boat the day after posting.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dont think the market is completely dry, yet.. There has been a 2020 AR240 for sale near me for $60k for 22 weeks. Overpriced a bit, but still there.

digitalthug916

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spoke to the salesman at my local shop where I am taking delivery of a ‘21 212SE in a month. He said in Jan ‘19 they sold 5 boats. Jan ‘20 they sold 8 boats. Jan ‘21 they sold 55 boats. This is northern CA, I think the used market is gone so everyone going new with cheap money.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Who would have thought that in the middle of a pandemic, people are having difficulties buying boats.
in 2020 I was sticking on floor, yiest and ammunition the rest of the population was stucking on boats and RVs. 1st world priorities I guess.

at the end of the day this is great news since in a couple of years the market will be floaded with boats

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's time to list my 2020 SX195 with 5 year OEM warranty! :cool:
Almost sold my '17 AR190 last August for $28.5k......at the end of it's 4th season of use for a shade under $1k less than I paid brand new. You NEVER see that small of a depreciation number on a boat. Garun-damn-tee yours would go in a day for full ask.