• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is the E series worth the 5k upgrade

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have started shopping for a new boat and I'm really interested in the electronic throttles but is it worth the $5k upgrade? No of the other upgrades to the E series are essential to me so literally would be spending the 5k just for the throttle control.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. IMO.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes. IMO.

--
Well that through me for a loop. I would have thought you would have talked about ridesteady and the knob here.... ha.

I despise the stock throttles on my 242ls. I did the throttle drop fix which was 100 percent nessacary and I adjusted the tension to make things better and they were still not as good as my 1997 Seadoo challenger 1800. As much as I try to eliminate and sudden changes in speed by being gentle it just does not work all the time. I got to drive an e series and I was in heaven soooooooo much smoother.I like controlling the speed by hand when not towing a skier or boarder. That said I am anxious to try ride steady which is a must for a non-eseries in which case you are looking at more like a $3500 difference once you add throttle syncs from jbp.

I think the bigger question is do you want that huge fixed bimini? My guess is perhaps yes. That leaves only one more question...

Are you preparred for the possibility of reliability issues folks have had with the eseries electronics? It is a real issue that has plagued a few folks. If your answer is yes to that last question then I would say the answer to is the E series worth $5k more? is yes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you preparred for the possibility of reliability issues folks have had with the eseries electronics? It is a real issue that has plagued a few folks. If your answer is yes to that last question then I would say the answer to is the E series worth $5k more? is yes.
I think that is very well said!
The e throttles can not be added aftermarket.
I'm not a huge fun of the whole x package but given what @robert843 said - it is a very strong yes, IMO.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Going from the throttles in my 242LS to my Seadoo with electronic throttles - I would 110% say hell yes. If I buy another Yammy, it'll be an E-series no question. Any issues, and we'll have @Mainah semi-local here soon enough to devise a fix :p

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was in a similar situation coming from a 2010 242 Limited. I started looking late last year but that's just a tough time to try and sell a boat. So I decided to throw mine up for sale early spring in a few spots online and ended up selling it in 8 days to a relatively local guy. For me, the differences were huge coming from a 2010. You know those survey's you get from Yamaha asking what they could do better, engineering, what would you change, etc.? Well, it seemed like they picked mine out of the pile and over the last 7 years upgraded to/changed the things I would have from my 2010. Hinged seating, better fabric, fully functioning digital touch screen (connext), synced throttle, drive by wire, fixed bimini, better interior lighting, reengineered head compartment, articulating keel, 6 inches longer, 4 inches wider, 4 inches deeper, taller bow, taller gunwale, 12 person capacity (instead of 10), separate the bow ladder and anchor in the bow locker, push button ignition, to name a few. Additionally, some reengineered cabin designs, the helm and co-captain area is redesigned for better ergonomics and maximizes the available space. It seems Yamaha listened to the consumer feedback on those surveys.

The fixed bimini is a preference on the Limited S Eseries, of course you could go Limited Eseries, but no tower or other upgrades. My wife and I really weighed the pros and cons and decided that with the longevity of owning the Limited S Eseries, for the next 5+ years, those features will bring equity in the future for resale. And it's a LOT more boat for the bit of extra cash, but certainly will pay dividends in the long end. In my case, I picked up a left over 2016 for a really good deal, so it made the decision that much easier.

I know you say the other upgrades are nonessential to you, but I think you'll appreciate the whole package, especially the electronic throttle capabilities once you're in it....IMO.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Overall....Yes....I love the electronic throttles and the sync option...but you can get that after market. As for the huge Bimini...and ABSOLUTE YES. In Texas during the summer, we need the shade, and this provides it without having to worry about bumping your head! As for the rest of the electronics, I havent had a problem except for the DRIVE function of the CONNEXT system which is supposed to allow you to hold a GPS speed. Well, it doesnt work. Mine has been in the shop for a total of 13 weeks and it is only 10 months old. Apparently the dealers dont know or dont give a shit, or yamaha doesnt know or doesnt give a shit! But they cant fix it and dont seem to have a clue what is wrong!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just so you don't think they all have issues my 2016 limited s e-series has been flawless. All my electronics work great and the boat has been amazing. I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself. ::knock on wood:: But on a more serious note, we are very pleased with the decision to step up to the e-series, the throttles are amazing and has ruined me as I will not have another boat again without the single lever option. The electronics are what sold me but my wife and the kids fell in love with the Bimini. It is great to have so much coverage on those long sunny days when the kids need a nap or a bunch of people are just sick of the sun for a bit. If you wakeboard, the drive controls make it so easy that even a newer driver can get you up easily and make it enjoyable.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My E-Series boat had a crossed wire in the stereo....nothing to do with the throttles or Connext (could have happened in a non-e-series boat). Then recently the aux voltage was off...and it was just a loose wire. Neither issue prevented me from boating, but it has been annoying tracking down the problems. Regardless....I LOVE my E-Series boat!!!! The throttles are amazing!!!!! LOVE the huge bimini....and the interior looks fantastic!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have digital controls on my outboard Yamaha and after my AR230 I love the digital controls. No more cables to corrode replace, no throttle drop, no inconsistent changes they are just awesome. Any new engine I ever get will be digital control to me alone it is worth it.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I guess I will chime in too, since I got my 2016 e-series at the end of the season last year. I didn't get out much last year so I can't talk to the reliability yet. I waited until the 2017's were starting to roll onto the lots and then got to negotiating on the 2016's. I don't know that I would have paid MSRP for the e-series features but was happy for what I paid (about $6k below retail - including the extended warranty and bow and cockpit covers installed). It seems like there are still a bunch of 2016's still out there that are priced even better than what I got mine for. Of course depending on where you are, it might be a road trip or a fee to have it shipped. My wife loves the huge fixed bimini and I really like the feel of the new throttles, much smoother than my 2006 AR210. I think the smoother throttles also make it much easier for a newer driver to pick it up as the boat won't jump out of the water if you don't want it to. I also like the idea of the solar charges up on the tower to give a little more juice as we are sitting at anchor. To me, the e-series brings yamaha pretty close to par with the newer technology you are seeing on a lot of other boats these days. Its the equivalent of getting a car with blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and parking sensors as opposed to one without.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 I am SOOO curious what you will end up doing (if you actually end up buying another Yamaha).
I have digital controls on my outboard Yamaha and after my AR230 I love the digital controls. No more cables to corrode replace, no throttle drop, no inconsistent changes they are just awesome. Any new engine I ever get will be digital control to me alone it is worth it.
Okay, lets just keep a couple of things in perspective. First of, Yamaha top of the line outboards cost as much as their top of the line jet boats, and for a reason.
Regarding JETBOAT E-throttles, awesomely smooth as those are, there are some caveats:
1. those are tethered to (brand new for Yamaha) Connext/BCU/SPU/ECU/GPS ecosystem and there is plenty of concern whether this a good thing or a not so good thing from the reliability perspective (and resale value long term); those traditional throttles are crappy but they are as simple as the cables they pull, and there is no second guessing their reliability;
2. there are things about jetboats' E-throttles that some would consider sub par (if not downright unacceptable) such as the lack of reverse at speed;
3. they are still lacking a true "cruise control";
4. for the non-E-series there is no aftermarket E-throttle upgrade, but there is now an aftermarket cruise control (Ridesteady) that circumnavigates the cables and splices directly into the APS modules (absent in E-series); this is a brand new system, so there are risks and who knows, but it could prove to be the best of both worlds;

I still think the answer to the OP's question, the way it was asked, is a resounding "yes". But that assumes one is at least aware of all the trappings of the E-throttles, and one is able to get a deal that would make the price difference of few $k.

--

Last edited:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I totally agree @swatski i just wanted to give my opinion about digital throttle controls and my impression from the old cable controls. I do think the limited reverse is kind of a negative as that is my only concern with the JetBoat line. All other things to me are what they are. When I had my JetBoat I would just set an RPM and not worry about speed. I know some people prefer others but being able to set the speed with the Digital Control and not have an creeping or issues trying to match speeds would be a great upgrade over the cable control.

People on my Tidewater water forum also debate is it worth the $3500 upgrade to get a digital controlled outboard or not. To me the answer is yes simply as it will help resell later down the road, and in a few years more and more people will only want digital controls.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I had my JetBoat I would just set an RPM and not worry about speed.
That IS the way to cruise. But the Yamaha cruise assist is very limited, it operates only between 3,500 and 7,000RPM and has 5 or 7 steps of 200 RPM up and down. It is sufficient in most instances, but really a joke of a cruise control if you ask me. (Probably the reason why they themselves choose not to call it "cruise control")

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm sold on the Ridesteady. As soon as I have the spare funds I will be buying one just for the fact it gives you finer control while using a cruise option but more importantly to me is that its not mechanical. Watching @swatski's vids on it shows how smooth you can really dial in the cruise and either for surfing or just trying to get the best fuel consumption, it seems to do a great job and much better than the cruise assist. 200 RPM's each push of the button is sometimes too much of a jump depending on how you need to use cruise assist.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I have a sx230 from 2008 (what am I doing here?? Sorry, butting in anyway)

I will say that with a better throttle lever, you have full and correct control of the boat.

In my humble opinion the factory throttle is terrible for a Jet boat. Your 5500 rpm range (from 1500 to 7000- worse for me) is concentrated in so little travel, of course it feels like the control is terrible, because it is. It takes millimeters to go from idle to 4k.. What's up with that?

I upgraded to graffrig controls I found used, and I can set the exact rpm I want at any time.

I don't doubt electronic control is very nice, and opens the door to perfect pass, etc.. But anything compared to the repurposed outboard fnr that comes with the boat will seem awesome, so it's a bad baseline to start with. A dual lever control will cost $1k or less and get you 80% of the benefit. Don't exclude it from consideration.

It also depends what $5k means to you. It's a 7 day club med stay in Cancun for my family, but after the 7 days you got nothing... You might have electronic throttle for a few years instead.

In summary, consider also a much better conventional throttle for much less dinero in your compare

Good luck!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just to be clear, the e-series does have "perfect pass/ ridesteady" functionality built in. The implementation is intergrated so the method to control it is a bit different but at a high level it accomplishes the same task.

Last edited:

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was set on an E-series last year. Test drove the Limited S E. I loved the throttles and the bimini top. Felt the stereo was weak and would need to upgrade. Tried the AR240 and for my use I don't miss the extras, upgraded the stereo, and am $10k below where I would be with E-Series. If next year I drop $3k on Ridesteady, seriously considering, I'm still well below the E-Series $$$. For me the AR240 just hit the sweet spot of bang for my buck.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to be clear, the e-series does have "perfect pass/ ridesteady" functionality built in. The implementation is intergrated so the method to control it is a bit different but at a high level it accomplishes the same task.
And more....it will also accelerate the boat for you, in one of 3 ramp speeds (slow, medium, fast).....which I use EVERY time for all boarding behind the boat! You get the IDENTICAL acceleration curve EVERY TIME!!!! An even better marriage saver than Perfect Pass!