• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is there any good vids or pics showing how to lengthen tubing ropes?

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to see how to lengthen tubing ropes. I have read some post about it but I learn from seeing better. Thanks!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do you mean? Most tube ropes are 60' and ski ropes are 75'. I use a ski rope with the handle removed to tow tubes to keep them out of the jet spray.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use two 60' ropes for longer tows, the arrow points to the knot. Use your favorite knot (e.g. double fisherman). Works very well for towing strait, like when you want to just go somewhere and they want to ride the tube. I wouldn't go fast and watch them like a hawk, things can happen fast.

Here is us running away from a storm - these are two ropes tied together.
upload_2018-6-28_11-57-28.png

BTW - we made it back, lol
upload_2018-6-28_12-1-33.png

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

noboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you mean? Most tube ropes are 60' and ski ropes are 75'. I use a ski rope with the handle removed to tow tubes to keep them out of the jet spray.
I guess I meant how to splice in like 10ft so my 60ft rope was 70. I didn’t think about using a ski rope.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I've used this method to put loops on the end of nylon ropes for years. They never let go and last forever. Once you have the loop you can link it to the end of another looped rope as you normally would (like on a multi-segment ski rope).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We used a ski rope for the longest time, great whip, kept the tube away from the spray. Until I mistakenly sucked the rope and had to cut it...

We bought BOB which is the inflatable ball that goes between ropes.. it sucked. So we used one of the ropes originally attached to BOB and the rope that came with our tube, works great!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use most of these knots whenever we go out or in, especially on the sailboat. The sheet bend maybe what you need. I use the bowline alot, it does not loosen or slip
20180628_162136.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be gentle with whips on a long rope! People will cartwheel across the water. Someone told me today they could hold on no matter what. I laughed and asked his experience at flying a tube. He's a strong man competitor, but there is still no way.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be gentle with whips on a long rope! People will cartwheel across the water. Someone told me today they could hold on no matter what. I laughed and asked his experience at flying a tube. He's a strong man competitor, but there is still no way.
This is such an important point!
I generally hate pulling tubes for that very reason. The kids love it and it is fun... until it is not, and it can happen in a hurry.
I've learned to be super conservative, ignore "go faster" signals, still at times it can get dangerous so quickly. Ugh.

--

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just a heads up if you boat in an area that's patrolled, there may be a maximum rope length you are allowed. In PA the maximum water ski rope length is 80', it doesn't specifically mention anything about a rope for tubing, but it probably safe to assume it's 80' also.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think mine is around 70’
We went from a ski rope to the rope supplied with our tube and kids hated it.. I’ve whipped an adult pretty hard, and couldn’t get him off our new HO sidewinder even on the extended rope. Btw if your looking for a new tube the sidewinder 3 person is awesome for towing, it has a assisted lift bottom and my boat hardly loses power when making small turns with the kids, it’s great not having to play with the throttle constantly.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think mine is around 70’
We went from a ski rope to the rope supplied with our tube and kids hated it.. I’ve whipped an adult pretty hard, and couldn’t get him off our new HO sidewinder even on the extended rope. Btw if your looking for a new tube the sidewinder 3 person is awesome for towing, it has a assisted lift bottom and my boat hardly loses power when making small turns with the kids, it’s great not having to play with the throttle constantly.
Ill have to check this one out too. We have a big mable and when you whip kids around they smash into each other. i like the dividers on this. We tow using a powerball. never really tried without it. I know there is some face spray. kids usually just wear goggles. Not sure if the spray is from the ball or from the boat.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we tried the power ball with the ropes provided, and it didn’t help with the spray plus the rope was too short. So we took the tow side rope off the ball and replaced it with the supplied tube rope, still they kept getting sprayed. I’ve even shortened the boat side rope placing the ball closer to boat trying to cover the jet spray every thing made it worse.. so we just flat out remover it and kept one of the ropes from the ball attatched. And they were much happier. I have a 8,10 and 12 year old and they haven’t complained about the spray yet.

If you do a slow sharp turn the rope will dig in the water when towing from the transom hook and some spray will pop off the rope but that seems to be about it.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we tried the power ball with the ropes provided, and it didn’t help with the spray plus the rope was too short. So we took the tow side rope off the ball and replaced it with the supplied tube rope, still they kept getting sprayed. I’ve even shortened the boat side rope placing the ball closer to boat trying to cover the jet spray every thing made it worse.. so we just flat out remover it and kept one of the ropes from the ball attatched. And they were much happier. I have a 8,10 and 12 year old and they haven’t complained about the spray yet.

If you do a slow sharp turn the rope will dig in the water when towing from the transom hook and some spray will pop off the rope but that seems to be about it.
That was going to be my next question... where do you tow from. Do you mean the ski hook on the transom? I have one of those Y things are tow from the lifting hooks. I've heard of tubes digging in a higher speeds and causing all sorts of damage to things like towers and tow hooks.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was going to be my next question... where do you tow from. Do you mean the ski hook on the transom? I have one of those Y things are tow from the lifting hooks. I've heard of tubes digging in a higher speeds and causing all sorts of damage to things like towers and tow hooks.
That's not a great location. I'd rather tie in a 500 to 1000lb test "fuse" and tow from the tow point. I've done lots of stupid shit with a tube, but never caused any damage. It's the 10+ foot of slack while getting up to speed that breaks things.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The intended use for towers is for wake boarding. Tubes, especially multiple person tubes, should be connected to the ski transom hook. Too much weight for the tower with big tubes and multiple adults. Should be a weight rating listed on the tower.

Last edited: