• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this deal too good to be true?

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello fellow captains,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. Quick history, I've been a boater as long as I can remember and have just sold my 24 ft Rinker specifically so I could get into a Yamaha jet boat. Our first family boat was a 14' Sugar Sands Marine jet boat, so not completely new to jets but I know they're way different now. I've been drooling every time I see a YammerHammer on the lake. The inland lakes here in central Ohio can be pretty shallow, especially the fun ones, which is prompting my decision to move to a jet...Now that the history is over, my question is: what are your thoughts on this boat/deal and what might I be missing? I've been looking for quite a while and it seems the deal on this boat may be too good to be true. I've been in contact with the seller, who says he is moving and needs to sell, has the balance of a 5 year extended "bumper to bumper" warranty, is in perfect condition. Problem is, it is in central Florida and I am in central Ohio. I have in-laws that live 90 min away that can lay eyes on it in about 10 days but are not boat or mechanically savvy. I plan to facetime with the guy tomorrow to look over the boat and, based on the deal, am considering placing a $2k deposit so that he takes it off the market until I can get down there and see it/cruise it/close the deal (approximately 3-4 weeks), but he's alluded to wanting to keep part of the deposit if I back out... With the warranty, I feel protected from major catastrophic issues but I'm not the most well versed in the warranties on these boats. As I've searched the market, I don't see many 2016's at this price, much less a Limited-E. I'm torn between the fear of losing this boat and the feeling that it's too good to be true.... Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance - Matt

Used 2016 YAMAHA 242 E Series, Auburndale, Fl - 33823 - Boat Trader

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hell no ! I wouldn't send any $$$.
Maybe someone from the forum that lives closer to the seller can take a look see..
Take a look at the member map and reach out to someone nearby. There is a ton of great people on here !

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don’t send money. Don’t ever send money. If you are convinced it is a good deal. Call the dealer he mentioned to confirm about the service and then go down there to make the purchase. When you go down later on and you can bring it back. It will cost you extra to go down a 2nd time but you will not lose 2k.
If you still want to send money I have this great bridge in Brooklyn I’ll give you a hell of a deal on, you can put up a toll and make a ton of money from it. It was made when they were made to last, real stones used in it, lights up at night!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not so sure that it's a "too good to be true" deal, but it is a good price. The Non-S 242 E-Series were $62 new, and have a current NADA value between 42-47. Once you add in the costs of going down to get it, might not even be that great a deal, and certainly not one risking sending two grand over. JMO.

Dylan01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Deposit is one thing, but put yourself in this guys shoes for a moment. He wants to sell the boat, not wait 3-4weeks. If you're serious about the boat, make an offer pending an independent inspection. Hire a boat surveyor or have him tow it to the nearest dealer for a pre-purchase inspection and make arrangements to pick the boat up sooner than later if the condition matches what you want to do. I would not place a deposit until after the inspection is to your satisfaction. I have bought many boats this way. Good luck.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Low retail is a good price not great nada has changed what they show to non dealers . He would get less on a trade and he has it inflated with the trailer and misc items .That model with no tower is not very common . The condition looks good 100 hrs is high for a 16. Ask if the rear stereo knob turns and if it was fresh water use .

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Best thing to do right up front is either get the HULL ID, and run it to confirm the YES contract, or have him run it with his dealer and share a copy of the print out. It will not only confirm it is valid, but also show you what may have been done to the boat since new.

That being said, I am a strong proponent to a YES contract covering the things you have little way of inspecting. But do not send a deposit without an intent to purchase contract signed by both, that gives you the option out with full refund of the deposit if it is not what was advertised. It looks fairly stock, so all you are looking for is cosmetic confirmation of good shape, and checking for additional salt water erosion.

I'm curious why he does not have the Yamaha trailer? Those aluminium trailers are considered an upgrade down there, but it always makes me ask the question as it should have shipped with a galvanized trailer if bought around salt water.

Good luck either way.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just noticed that NADA print, yes, drop $5K off that price, as these should be priced including the trailer. He added on over $5K for that trailer. He did ad fins and seadek, but only to the anchor locker door, and swimdeck. The majority of the boat is bare floor.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Chances are he went to an Aluminum trailer due to dipping in salt water.
I agree with some of the above. He jacked up the value with the "add-ons".
I don't believe that this boat is priced to sell quickly. According to NADA.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, his NADA pricing is not correct:
1553186282566.png
  1. Bimini comes with the boat
  2. Boat cover does not, but many dealers will throw in the standard cover. He has Bow and cockpit covers installed.
  3. Auto Pilot??? No such thing on this boat. I think he's trying to say....Garmin GPS installed. No way a used Garmin is worth 1600
  4. Another GPS....so these lines are duplicated
  5. Stereo comes with the boat.
  6. His trailer is newer than the boat and is nice. Worth 3k in my book - New.
  7. Step plates (included in line 6)
  8. Spare tire and carrier - comes with boat
  9. Surge brakes-comes with trailer.
So when you subtract all the "fake" add-ons, you have a value of 42,070+$345(GPS)+$3000(Trailer)=$45,415, and this assumes that the fancy aluminum trailer is valuable to you. His asking price of $42,500 put him at the low end of retail. If you can get him to go to $40k, that would be a good deal given the drive you will put in. I suspect he'd go there....start with a 38k offer and end up around 40k..... But as others have said....DO NOT SEND MONEY.....handle the transaction in person.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
IMHO, halfway in between LOW RETAIL and TRADE IN value is a good deal. Never pay RETAIL when buying privately. Too many opportunities for a "HIDDEN" problem that could cost you thousands. Unless covered by YES...
If he's motivated to sell, start lower, to make up your travel costs.

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, lots of good insight from all of you guys, I definitely appreciate the perspective. Got me grounded back to earth. I'll get to work on validating the warranty and likely figure out how I can get down there in-person. Appreciate the call-outs on the NADA as well... will keep the thread updated. Hopefully will be updating my avatar to a Yamaha in the near future.

Thanks again!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello fellow captains,

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. Quick history, I've been a boater as long as I can remember and have just sold my 24 ft Rinker specifically so I could get into a Yamaha jet boat. Our first family boat was a 14' Sugar Sands Marine jet boat, so not completely new to jets but I know they're way different now. I've been drooling every time I see a YammerHammer on the lake. The inland lakes here in central Ohio can be pretty shallow, especially the fun ones, which is prompting my decision to move to a jet...Now that the history is over, my question is: what are your thoughts on this boat/deal and what might I be missing? I've been looking for quite a while and it seems the deal on this boat may be too good to be true. I've been in contact with the seller, who says he is moving and needs to sell, has the balance of a 5 year extended "bumper to bumper" warranty, is in perfect condition. Problem is, it is in central Florida and I am in central Ohio. I have in-laws that live 90 min away that can lay eyes on it in about 10 days but are not boat or mechanically savvy. I plan to facetime with the guy tomorrow to look over the boat and, based on the deal, am considering placing a $2k deposit so that he takes it off the market until I can get down there and see it/cruise it/close the deal (approximately 3-4 weeks), but he's alluded to wanting to keep part of the deposit if I back out... With the warranty, I feel protected from major catastrophic issues but I'm not the most well versed in the warranties on these boats. As I've searched the market, I don't see many 2016's at this price, much less a Limited-E. I'm torn between the fear of losing this boat and the feeling that it's too good to be true.... Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance - Matt

Used 2016 YAMAHA 242 E Series, Auburndale, Fl - 33823 - Boat Trader
I would stay away. Unless you are willing to meet the owner and do water testing and personally inspect the boat.
My 0.02

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, his NADA pricing is not correct:

3 Auto Pilot??? No such thing on this boat. .
It does have the e series gps speed control in this model

this is an uncommon model most have the towers

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hurricane salvage from North Carolina? Did the tower get ripped off?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hurricane salvage from North Carolina? Did the tower get ripped off?
No, it is the "LE" model of the 242, I don;t thinnk they actually sell those anymore, most have been "LSE" - with the large tower (all E-series now have the 3-bolt base big towers, like the 242X - which they call "wake series").
The tower is about 10-11k,so buying this boat without one is kind of missing out a lot...

--

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update. FaceTimed with the guy, super clean boat, he had a guy email him off boattrader and said he’d deposit $15k then come pick it up ASAP, also another guy coming to see it this past Thursday. I put in a full price offer and said as long as warranty and condition checks out when we close, I’m good to go. He said he’d let me know in the morning, but since I’d been talking with him for a week he’d give me preference over the email guy. Come yesterday morning, crickets....ask for an update in the afternoon, said someone put a large deposit down and would let me know if it fell through. Kinda bummed, seems like he fed me a line of crap...but oh well...the search continues. Appreciate everyone’s insight. If you see any ‘15 or later 240’s or 242s out there for 45k and under, lemme know! (Wife prefers Limited....those aft lounge cushions... 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keep looking deals always pop up . Use search tempest and keep an eye on boat trader

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah move on you don't want to deal with people like this they will keep feeding you crap till you submit. A good deal has nothing to do with price but has to do with what I call a win win which means the seller gets a deal they feel good about and the buyer gets a deal they feel good about and in this situation it seems all about the seller so let him go.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Quick update. FaceTimed with the guy, super clean boat, he had a guy email him off boattrader and said he’d deposit $15k then come pick it up ASAP, also another guy coming to see it this past Thursday. I put in a full price offer and said as long as warranty and condition checks out when we close, I’m good to go. He said he’d let me know in the morning, but since I’d been talking with him for a week he’d give me preference over the email guy. Come yesterday morning, crickets....ask for an update in the afternoon, said someone put a large deposit down and would let me know if it fell through. Kinda bummed, seems like he fed me a line of crap...but oh well...the search continues. Appreciate everyone’s insight. If you see any ‘15 or later 240’s or 242s out there for 45k and under, lemme know! (Wife prefers Limited....those aft lounge cushions... 🤦🏻‍♂️)
Don't be in any kind of rush to purchase !! ... Ask @veedubtek about his troubles with a "good deal"
IMHO you should get one with a tower, but take that with the knowledge that I ,personally, haven't owned a jet boat. But have been "around" them for a while. My friends own them.. And I would want one WITH a tower, it gives you more options for fun on the water and possibly better re-sale opportunity.

Yeah move on you don't want to deal with people like this they will keep feeding you crap till you submit. A good deal has nothing to do with price but has to do with what I call a win win which means the seller gets a deal they feel good about and the buyer gets a deal they feel good about and in this situation it seems all about the seller so let him go.
Yes !
I agree with @robert843 , keep looking.

Last edited: