• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I've never cared for a drone until I stumbled upon the Skydio 2!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This thing is impressive! At $999 it packs a punch too! The tracking and avoidance system is unreal with this thing. I may have to splurge on this thing as I can see it being far more easy to just grab and use for tracking than other drones.

Cheeyah!! Just watch the avoidance system work in Bakerxderek's video....

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats funny, I was literally looking at this drone last night. Never owned a drone (I have enough toys already) but this one seems pretty fool proof. Still a bit weary of the idea of flying a drone on the lake though.

Shark Bait

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I need a “drone for dummies model” if I were going to own one. Lol

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool tech for sure if it matches up to the claims. But after owning larger drones, buying another that will not fold up smaller, I want nothing to do with it.

That is the main reason for not using my drone more. If it's not convenient to pack along with, then I won't use it. That size is not horrible, but still too big for normal carrying.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm so on the fence about drones. I want to build my own so badly, but then again I want one that will just work......all coupled with the "I don't know when I'll even use the dang thing" factor.

Soo many neat things....so little time and money :D

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like boating what needs to be considered is how you plan to use a drone / what the user’s function and performance expectations are before deciding what to buy.

Here is a screen shot of a table comparing the Skydio 2 to other drones like the Mavic 2 pro. Is it better on paper? It Depends on what the user is looking for in a drone. For me the no flight zone restrictions of the Skydio 2 is a plus but the relatively low camera resolution, reduced flight time and slower top speed are all negatives. I’m looking for something I can put in the air and forget about, so the additional control offered by the Skydio 2s beacon (which has an optional conventional controller for $150 more as well as the ability to be controlled by smartphones via WiFi) is not relevant to me. The shorter control distance doesn’t matter too me either, @ 2k the drone is a dot the size of a pebble if visible at all, flying out of visual range is not just crazy IMHO (you have a vehicle with spinning blades and gravity behind it which costs around $1k flying around out of your sight) it I saw also illegal in the US per the FAA.

Enter the Stakker drone. I tried to order one before this Summer unfortunately they have been sold out for months and still are. The price of the stakker is misleading in that you have to provide your own GoPro camera but you can use a go pro four or five and up so at least the camera does have to be new. I would buy at least one spare battery for it so that adds another $150ish to the price. After more than a decade in remote controlled hobbies (e.g. Nitro methane and battery
powered pod and boom helicopters, road and off road vehicles and more than $10k spent) I’ve learned not to make purchase decisions based primarily on cost or lack of it. It’s high tech so my experience has been I got what I paid for.
3622D530-AFDA-4925-838F-0AC4567708FE.png

B4670401-2984-41F0-9202-93D4A522F96B.png
image.jpg

Is anyone in the market for a slightly used dji spark with flymore package or Mavic 1 with googles and / or an apple iPhone 6? All not pictured. If so I may have a great deal for you.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For me I don’t care about a controller as I just like the whole beacon thing. Later on for manual flight I’d get the controller eventually but 90% of the drone footage of care for would be for it to follow me automatically. If having to fly manual that means someone must also either drive the boat while I fly the drone or fly the drone and someone else drive while I surf so for me I just care about collision avoidance and good range for follow me. The beacon seems to cover what I’d shoot most. Nobody likes to use something that’s a hassle which is why I think most people don’t use the drones they buy after their newness honeymoon phase fizzles out and it becomes more of a chore. Basically I’d use it just as bakexderek showed how he used his and could see this being awesome for a boat if you accept the risk it might go in the water eventually.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With regards to the Skydio 2 ... It appears the guys who brought the over ambitious and slickly marketed failed R1 to the market might have teamed up with the guys from the failing and similar airdog startup and suckered in some new venture capital. It could be that they are pushing a desperate looking marketing spending blitz for a pre-order product while they have multiple job listings that may indicate they do not even have a final pcb design, final hardware, final firmware, final algorithms, or final UI software. That kind of blitz could be related to getting some good looking pre-sales numbers in order to get more funding/capital for what may eventually be another overly ambitious failed product/company. I really do hope they succeed and bring some real competition against DJI but my current take is buyer beware. Sorry if I burst bubbles and could be completely wrong but just looking out for my jetboat buds.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Units are already out though and people using them. The preorder is for Production batch #3 so I’d say they have functioning units. Like anything though I like to sit on the fence and let the dust settle. If this unit is as good as it appears it can be for the money I think it will be successful. I mean that video of Derek’s looks good to my eyes and needs so I’d be down for it if it is reliable. Time will tell I guess. I won’t spend money on a drone until I’m done modding ballast setups anyways so I have nothing but time to watch from the sidelines ;)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Units are already out though and people using them. The preorder is for Production batch #3 so I’d say they have functioning units. Like anything though I like to sit on the fence and let the dust settle. If this unit is as good as it appears it can be for the money I think it will be successful. I mean that video of Derek’s looks good to my eyes and needs so I’d be down for it if it is reliable. Time will tell I guess. I won’t spend money on a drone until I’m done modding ballast setups anyways so I have nothing but time to watch from the sidelines ;)
Was not aware that production batches are already out. If they perform as stated, are reliable, continue with that price point, and still make money I think they will be real DJI competitor. there have far too many failed (late, not as promised, bankrupt, scams) drones out there that I am rather shy on new products and companies in the market.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea the last video on my post was of a production unit and not a paid sponsor. I’m hoping these prove to be reliable as I will give them a look next year. By then who know what will come out though. I do agree I think it will be good for everyone if there is legit competition for DJI.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I fly the Autel Evo and find the video absolutely stunning. I am getting comfortable flying over the water filming us doing watersports. The one thing that is still high stress for me is landing the drone in a drifting boat.
Some things to consider on the Skydio 2 are the extreme 'field of view' lense, the quality of the video, it's ability to fly over water and how it lands. Some of the automated controls may make it difficult to retrieve. Do your due diligence.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Landing on the boat I just land it in my hand, I do at 1/4 battery there is no go home the boat has moved. That gives me a few minutes in case of a problem. Or I take the drone off from the dock so it will go back there. It’s not good to but if you grab it and turn it upside down it will shut off immediately.A4FBD689-105F-4CC9-8AD1-6D2D8D4D1F8F.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He's got another video up trying to stress test the collision avoidance system. Watching it "see" it's way around and through trees impressive IMO! He starts around the 2:15 mark.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More people starting to put it their videos.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@haknslash
Initial reviews are generally positive. I think you should buy one and report back.