• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jackstand with a ball on it?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone seen such a thing? Was hoping to use it as a storage jackstand, and then could lock the trailer to the jackstand.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Tractor supply has jackstands, balls, and a welder if you need one. I have seen them but never used/owned one. I use coupler locks that have a ball on them for storage.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why not use the jackstand on the trailer, close the coupler and put a lock on it, as if it were attached to a ball? Both ways would stop an honest person from attaching your trailer to another vehicle.

For further measure, pull the pin on your swing tongue and put a lock there. They are pretty tough to tow with the pin out. And both of these alternatives would allow you to shorten your trailer length still.

Good luck

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not use the jackstand on the trailer, close the coupler and put a lock on it, as if it were attached to a ball? Both ways would stop an honest person from attaching your trailer to another vehicle.

For further measure, pull the pin on your swing tongue and put a lock there. They are pretty tough to tow with the pin out. And both of these alternatives would allow you to shorten your trailer length still.

Good luck
This is what I do when parking the trailer somewhere that is "less secure" than the garage.

Jack stand under the tongue, and trailer jack folded up.
Pin from folding tongue removed, and tongue folded all the way back over to be obvious.
Cable through jackstand, around "Y" of trailer, and then locked to folding pin hole.

That's what I did in FL this summer when the condo complex complained about my boat being in a parking spot. I still contend that I got two spots with my rental, and that I should be allowed to put whatever I want in there so long as I'm not blocking anyone else in/out of thier spot. The AR190 fits just fine in a standard spot (shorter than a Suburban!)
1637679802150.png 1637679822518.png <--Click to make bigger.

Anywho, the boat ended up sitting in the sand lot next door to my Uncles Hotel by itself. He backed in in front of it most nights, but went fishing a few times and left mine sitting exposed. I had the above "lock system" setup, but honestly it probably would've been fine sitting there with the keys in it.....This is the best pic I have. I really thought I took a picture of the tongue setup with the lock and such while I was there.
1637679974075.png

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Tractor supply has jackstands, balls, and a welder if you need one. I have seen them but never used/owned one. I use coupler locks that have a ball on them for storage.
I do something similar. Here are the locks from my last boat, currently on the ATV trailer:

IMG_0890.JPG

ATV trailer has aluminum wheels, so I also lock the spare with a padded chain and padlock. I have, on occasion, also ran a cable lock through the trailer wheels.

I always keep the toys adequately insured, as no locks are theft-proof.

Jim

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
would stop an honest person from attaching your trailer to another vehicle.
Like said above, you'll keep a somewhat honest person from trying but if they come prepared to take it, they will.
You can put as many locks on your trailer as you want but if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it. Most of the locks and cables are easy enough to get off with a cordless angle grinder or bolt cutters in less than a minute.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Like said above, you'll keep a somewhat honest person from trying but if they come prepared to take it, they will.
You can put as many locks on your trailer as you want but if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it. Most of the locks and cables are easy enough to get off with a cordless angle grinder or bolt cutters in less than a minute.
Check out the one I recommend. Not that easy to break off.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Reese bar over tongue locks are easily defeated.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do something similar. Here are the locks from my last boat, currently on the ATV trailer:

View attachment 167528

ATV trailer has aluminum wheels, so I also lock the spare with a padded chain and padlock. I have, on occasion, also ran a cable lock through the trailer wheels.

I always keep the toys adequately insured, as no locks are theft-proof.

Jim
I have a coupler lock and a lock that latches in like the ball….but the coupler is only attached with 2 bolts, someone could quickly and easily replace the coupler and both locks will come off with the old one🤷‍♂️ Just keeping honest people honest and making it slightly harder to take than the next guy’s trailer I guess.
76E373E9-E646-40BF-B19F-DDE83597A233.png

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was hoping to avoid a jackstand under the y of the trailer, because that's where my brake lines are run. That's why I wanted the jackstand more under the tongue of the trailer.

I'm less concerned about theft, and more about stability.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was hoping to avoid a jackstand under the y of the trailer, because that's where my brake lines are run. That's why I wanted the jackstand more under the tongue of the trailer.

I'm less concerned about theft, and more about stability.
Your trailer didn't come with a jackstand? I thought all of these did? Or am I missing the point of avoiding the brake lines? I had that issue putting a spare tire carrier on, I had to avoid the brake lines. But the jack stand is already on the trailer.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a wheeled jack on the side, but I wanted something without wheels to use for stationary storage. The jack works fine, but I just wanted the security of knowing the boat is supported by something that doesn't have a wheel on it to move, haha.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a wheeled jack on the side, but I wanted something without wheels to use for stationary storage. The jack works fine, but I just wanted the security of knowing the boat is supported by something that doesn't have a wheel on it to move, haha.
This is a non issue, as it is what it was designed for. Millions of boats have been sold and stored on trailers with wheeled jack stands. It's the whole point of putting it there, and why it is designed for the capacity of the tongue weight.

Spend your money on two $5 rubber wheel chocks at Harbor Freight and a coupler lock and call it a day. You are searching for something that provides you now more value than what you already have. Keeping in mind, you still have to use the tongue jack to take it on and off a stand, and you also lose the value of the swing tongue.

Your shins will thank me later.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you really just want a trailer Jack with a foot instead of wheels you can simply buy the foot off line. Alternatively you can replace or supplement the stock unit with one that has a foot.
E3CA23F8-BB82-4385-AE5B-4AF2895CAFD4.png

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just put the jackstand under the coupler & call it good

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wondering if anyone has tried one of the trailer boot locks for the wheel?

Jim

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone has tried one of the trailer boot locks for the wheel?

Jim
I have two (one for my boat trailer and another for my pwc trailer). I rarely use them but think they provide at least a good visible deterent, nothing that a good reciprocating saw couldn’t get through in less than a minute though. Mine only mount to a single wheel I’ve seen models that clamp to both wheels on dual axle trailers.

however, I think security aspects are not the point of this thead.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$12 chock made for Jack wheels👍31B1D0C0-AB89-4C88-9B65-6D948F91348E.png