• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jeep TJ Folks

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Instead of signing up for a new forum elsewhere, I thought I'd ask my favorite boating people on the web. Anyone here have any experience with TJs? I'm looking at buying one (up in Kentucky, so not a quick drive for me from ATL) and I got the seller to tell me there was some rust and send me a few pictures. The price is pretty good (compared to the local ATL Jeeps, that are crazy expensive). Anywhere, here are the pics of the frame. What concerns me is where the frame meets the body support and a few other areas that seem a little deeper than surface rust. The rust on the suspension system doesn't bother me too much, I can replace that.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone on here had some experience with rust and older Jeeps or even older cars.

THANKS!

Attachments

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have owned and built 6 TJs over the last 15 years. Just sold one #6 about 2 weeks ago.

I would personally stay away from that one. The rust looks pretty deep in a few spots. I'd keep looking, there are plenty of jeeps for sale out there.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I figured when I saw that rust it looked a little more than surficial. I'm looking at getting into a TJ build for the first time, so a good frame is more important to me than lifts and other things. Thanks again!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pic #4 shows frame rot. I would steer clear. If it's going to be off road use it can be repaired (cut out & patched) but what else is going to need attention? Brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust, floor pans

Just my .02

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Pic #4 shows frame rot. I would steer clear. If it's going to be off road use it can be repaired (cut out & patched) but what else is going to need attention? Brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust, floor pans

Just my .02
Thank you. Thats the picture that gave me the most heartburn as well. Looked rotten and actually missing some of the frame. Thanks, I think I'll steer clear from this one. Good price at $6,200, but now I know why.

Thank you again

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was just gifted an 06 LJ. Going to be a father/son project. My MIL bought it brand new and has not really driven it much in the last 2/3 years.
Wow that's an awesome MIL! I would love to get my hands on a LJ. Waaay out of my price range. At least here in GA. Usually going for 18 to 25K with 150k on them..... that sounds like an awesome project. I wish you best if luck! Post some pics here when you start working on it.

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
She's "OK" lol.

I have to say, she is pretty awesome. I could easily get $15K. I has 149K miles but it looks brand new underneath. I think she took it to the beach 1 time.

Just replaced all of the speakers including the sub in the center console. Might add some subs later on. Soon will be installing a double din with backup camera. Looking at doing a 3" Metalcloak lift and some of their fenders. All in due time, I'm in no rush, son is only 11.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
She's "OK" lol.

I have to say, she is pretty awesome. I could easily get $15K. I has 149K miles but it looks brand new underneath. I think she took it to the beach 1 time.

Just replaced all of the speakers including the sub in the center console. Might add some subs later on. Soon will be installing a double din with backup camera. Looking at doing a 3" Metalcloak lift and some of their fenders. All in due time, I'm in no rush, son is only 11.
That sounds like a good MIL relationship! That's not had for miles. Nothing makes riding around town in summer with too down better than nice loud crisp music! Those fenders are pretty cool. Like the rock slider combo.

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What makes an LJ different from a TJ?
It's true label is the Wrangler Unlimited, aka TJ Unlimited, or, just LJ. I refer it to the "Longer Jeep"

It gains 15" of length over the TJ which basically doubles cargo. There isn't much to begin with. The TJ requires the rear seat to be removed to haul just about anything.

The one I have also has the 6 speed manual. Mother in-law had no idea at the time she was buying when she did. I had no idea what the value of these things were until I started searching for parts/ideas.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Didn't know such a thing existed.....well, I suppose I might have as every now and then I'll see a jeep and go "That one looks weird". :D :D

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
TJs/LJs hold there value very very well. They are the most desired models because of the ease of lifting/building them. They have a very simple suspension design with coils at all 4 corners, and there are quality affordable lifts for them whether you want a inexpensive spacer kit or a 7in long arm kit. And most people with just a mild mechanical ability can work on them easily. As of right now, the values for TJs have been hovering at the 9-12k mark for a few years depending on year, model & mileage. And the LJ at the 14-18k mark. I don't see the values going down any time soon either. You can find some under that, but it's rare and they go fast.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It's true label is the Wrangler Unlimited, aka TJ Unlimited, or, just LJ. I refer it to the "Longer Jeep"

It gains 15" of length over the TJ which basically doubles cargo. There isn't much to begin with. The TJ requires the rear seat to be removed to haul just about anything.

The one I have also has the 6 speed manual. Mother in-law had no idea at the time she was buying when she did. I had no idea what the value of these things were until I started searching for parts/ideas.
Well said. Many Jeepers think LJs have the perfect wheel base for heavy rock crawling/wheeling. Little longer than TJ (less tipping), much shorter than the new JK unlimited (better approach and departure angles).

Me, I just want to ride around in the mountains this summer and fly down some forest service roads with the top down and doors off.....

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's kind of my plan, just a mild build with 35's and a 3" lift so it's still street worthy but can hit some local trails. This may be my son's 1st ride, we'll see, daddy might keep it!

Srfnfly227

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought my LJ Rubicon brand new for $28k in November 2006. Lots of mods, but still only has 73k miles. Next wheeling trip is in April.35s.jpg

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That's kind of my plan, just a mild build with 35's and a 3" lift so it's still street worthy but can hit some local trails. This may be my son's 1st ride, we'll see, daddy might keep it!
That's a great idea. I am looking to do the same thing. I'd keep that Jeep for myself! Haha