• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boat Rookie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Greetings All,
I am Toby "Two-Bit" George.
I have been boating for years and finally decided to try the "jetboat" style. so I decided on small Used model from a dealer.
it is a 2015 Yamaha SX190 with only 60hrs.
One big question - will I need the thrust vector / lateral thruster kit?????
we are supposed to take delivery tomorrow, wish me luck.......
1673625782891.png1673625782891.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Sharp boat, very low hours for the age, looks like a good find. Any steering enhancement will be worth the money. I personally have cobra jet steering fins on my SX-195 and can say it was a great purchase and very inexpensive. Definitely reduced docking drama with the family 😉

Below are my fins.
DBE3A0D7-EFA5-42EE-ABF2-98C761C80D4E.jpegEAC26067-60BC-4414-84C4-15E6F202250E.jpeg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Get the most features and benefits available for that boat and add the super ultimate special AK deluxe with the mega fang plus added and it will rock your world on the water at all speeds and have a faster hole shot a smoother ride in chop and a cleaner wake for water sport activities NO ONE Has the systems that can do what Cobra steering does. 21 years of specializing in making jet boats steer and drivers smile no plastic parts Get spring loaded adjustable steering that fits your boat since you have NO rudder at all but you do have the 2015 nozzle I can make that boat handles at all speeds in forward and reverse even off power. excellent for rough conditions wind waves and strong currents water sport activities and novice guest operators. Only $239.99 for the steering system and if you want to add the mega fang plus it is only $84 .00 extra and it gives you improved REAL reverse control better stopping power and a mild power steering effect.
1673644894704.jpeg1673644941656.png these have the rudder your boat does not but the nozzles are the same Also be advised that a single engine jet boat is the worst to try and drive with no add on steering. here is a video made by a customer who has a super ultimate ak-19 deluxe on his 19 foot boat when he tried it out for the first time watch how it carves at speed just try that with your stock boat and you will understand how big a difference super steering makes at all speeds also the plaining surface and the adjustments that let you decide the influence levels that suit your needs at all speeds. nothing else does that. And the super fins change their influence based on the position of the hull in the water so you just drive it and it does the rest. Also take note of how he made waves behind his trailer and then just drove right up to and on it through the waves. Here is a video provided by a very happy customer trying out his super ultimate ak-19 deluxe for the first time on his 2022 195s Yamaha jet boat and his... | By Cobra jet steering | Facebook

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Greetings All,
I have been boating for years and finally decided to try the "jetboat" style. so I decided on small Used model from a dealer.
View attachment 192864View attachment 192864
I'd definitely recommend you give your boat a try for a season before you bother with steering enhancements. I found my boat way easier to handle than any boat I'd had before. The only real learning curve is that you need to always keep some power in at low speeds to maintain directional control. Without that thrust you have no effective form of rudder.

I eventually installed Lateral Thrusters and am very happy with them. I did not install them for steering though. I put them in to help when I am trolling. Without a conventional rudder or lower end unit, and the relatively flat bottom of our Yamaha boats the extra rudder really helps stop the boat from swinging in the wind so much.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Mine came with the Crobra’s and since I’ve never experience one without, not sure what to advise you. I’d go with what you got and if you feel like you need more control, I’d take the plunge, seems like a lot of folks swear by these fins! Happy boating and welcome to the zoo!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The big issue he has is it is a 19 foot with just a nozzle NOTHING ELSE and I can predict he will very quickly understand why I invented steering for jet boats after driving one single engine jet boat back in 2001 for just 1 minute and totally hated it. The odds of feeling comfortable driving it without some serious steering at all speeds are not in his favor .

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
I believe the articulating keel feature wasn't added until 2016 so if your model has no "rudder" under the jet, then you will likely want to get a kit with "fins" to help with steering. Mine is a 2020 and I found no need to add a kit as the articulating keel "rudder" works fine and I find I have more docking control with this boat than previous I/O and outboards.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the dark side. I’d say give it a summer (or at least a month or two) before you do anything. Get a feel for it and get the slow speed stuff down as best you can. You may find you have no issues or at least improve tenfold . I personally went from garbage in the launch area to just okay and not a menace. Even after getting it down I still think I will give the fins a shot after a few launches this spring (knock the rust off from not boating since October) that way I can fairly asses them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I totally understand wanting to hustle and sell a product that you have so much pride and time invested in but man…maybe one comment then let the guy do his research.
Just an FYI, the ignore feature on this site works great. Filters that particular content quite well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greetings All,
View attachment 192864View attachment 192864
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forums!!

Drive the boat first, THEN decide if you want them. I'm going on year 6 and don't have any and doubt I will. Thing rides and drives great. I came from an I/O and adapted relatively quickly to the jet steering/low speed maneuvering.

Once you learn how to spin it on axis, you'll wonder why all boats can't do that!

Just keep in mind, it's not a car, and it doesn't have a rudder. revs = thrust = control. Shit in/out of fwd/rvs as much a you like, no transmission and you can use the throttle and reverse buckets to control momentum and direction. When coming in, don't use the wheel to steer the front. use the wheel and throttle to "slide" the rear. Get that concept mastered, and you'll be a launch ramp/courtesy dock hero.

My wife has gotten so good at it; she now comes in to pick me up, spins backwards, and glides up to the dock in reverse. I step on the swim platform and away we go. It's not uncommon to see slacked jaws, and applause when she does that. No drama, just convenience.

Enjoy the new boat!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My answer is....it depends. It depends on how you plan to use your boat and how many different drivers there might be.

I've had 3 different jet boats and put Cobra fins on 2 out of 3 of them. The primary reason I did was for low speed tracking (trolling for fish). Without fins you are constantly course correcting, with fins it reduces that need by 50-70%. An advantage is that if someone other than me drives the boat (a buddy offers to drive while I wake board for example) it is easier for them to steer - and not run me over :cool:

Are fins REQUIRED - No. Do many people find them helpful...yes.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:Welcome:
I believe the articulating keel feature wasn't added until 2016 so if your model has no "rudder" under the jet, then you will likely want to get a kit with "fins" to help with steering. Mine is a 2020 and I found no need to add a kit as the articulating keel "rudder" works fine and I find I have more docking control with this boat than previous I/O and outboards.
Correct, articulating keel came on the 19 footer (single jet) after 2019
I totally understand wanting to hustle and sell a product that you have so much pride and time invested in but man…maybe one comment then let the guy do his research.

Well said "Cpt. Barbarosa", well said!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forums!!

Drive the boat first, THEN decide if you want them. I'm going on year 6 and don't have any and doubt I will. Thing rides and drives great. I came from an I/O and adapted relatively quickly to the jet steering/low speed maneuvering.

Once you learn how to spin it on axis, you'll wonder why all boats can't do that!

Just keep in mind, it's not a car, and it doesn't have a rudder. revs = thrust = control. Shit in/out of fwd/rvs as much a you like, no transmission and you can use the throttle and reverse buckets to control momentum and direction. When coming in, don't use the wheel to steer the front. use the wheel and throttle to "slide" the rear. Get that concept mastered, and you'll be a launch ramp/courtesy dock hero.

My wife has gotten so good at it; she now comes in to pick me up, spins backwards, and glides up to the dock in reverse. I step on the swim platform and away we go. It's not uncommon to see slacked jaws, and applause when she does that. No drama, just convenience.

Enjoy the new boat!
You gotta love a gal that knows how to drive like a boss!

Love me some Detroit diesel..