• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boat Rough Water Handling - Lets Share Our Thoughts and Tips

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This years rough Bimini crossing has me thinking about how our boats handle rough water and what we as captains should be doing to navigate such water.

My experience is primarily with lake boating. I have made four successful round trips to Ship Island south of Biloxi, MS and two trips to Bimini. I also aborted one trip to Ship Island because the water was too rough. I believe that I generally approach big water on the ocean as I would big wakes on a lake. I look for the best way to cross each wave that presents itself. I try to stay on plane so that I have more freeboard above the water and I only stop when absolutely necessary. I want to be on top of the waves and in control of where the wave hits the boat. I believe that, to a reasonable extent, faster can be more comfortable and on top of the water is certainly better than in the water.

I know that many of our members boat primarily in the ocean or the great lakes. It would be great if you could share your experience and tips for boating in rough water.

I found a couple of related articles that while written for larger boats could be helpful

http://www.docksidereports.com/rough_water_seamanship_1.htm

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/boats/boating-skills/rough-water-boating-tips

This section of the first article is particularly interesting for Bimini and possibly Exhumas 2016

"For example, the Port Everglades inlet at Ft. Lauderdale has adequately deep water to the south outside the channel. Since the prevailing winds are east/southeasterly, this wide deep inlet can produce a very nasty tide rip. However, it is easily avoided by leaving the market channel to the south, but very rare is the captain I see who ever does this. Instead, they subject us to heavy bashing and plumes of spray for nearly a mile beyond the jetties."

So how do you guys handle the rough water?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In the infamous words of Police Chief Brody in Jaws..."your going to need a bigger boat". There is a limit to what you can do with a 21 to 24' boat...comfortably. And even on Texoma, I have seen waves big enough that you could not stay on plane for risk of going airborne and landing in the trough or the face of the next set. I have never captained a boat on the ocean, so I don't have any advice other than the first sentence. I think the best advice short of that is to manage the expectation and be prepared to say we are staying inland. I am guessing your definition of "rough water" may be different than someone else's, but anything over 2' seas isn't a place to be offshore in one of these boats. Sure, it can be done, but it has to be done with extreme care and I would expect that the reliability of doing so would be better in a different style and size of boat. I didn't read a bunch about this years crossing to Bimini. I understand there were some tense moments and losses. Like aviation, the sea is very unforgiving of carelessness or error. Keep in mind that the boat can take it, and with enough skill and correct expectation, you can handle seas much greater than what any of you have encountered so far. They use jet skis to tow in and out, surfers in many big wave areas of the world. And our boats are just big jet skis right? Well, I won't go there, but they are extremely capable...if you have the knowledge to be doing what your doing. I don't have that knowledge and can't advise you on it. And using a ski or a boat like that will incur damage, that has to be accepted. Hopefully what your talking about is just managing a crossing and giving your passengers a smooth ride in unexpected conditions.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll quarter the waves if possible. If running directly into a head sea I'll run whatever is comfortable, usually 25-30mph. Something solidly on plane. If running an inlet, I'll plow bow high at 4800rpm-5000rpm. Where I find this boat a little squirrelly is in a following sea. You really have to work the throttle otherwise if the wave slips through out from under you, the boat almost stops which puts you at risk for taking a wave over the stern. The boat seems to bow steer a little more than I'd like in a following sea. Just be aware and all is good. It would be great if these boats had a lower planing speed, but they would really beat you up at 45mph then.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our boats are too light to handle big waves or even chop on a lake like Lake Erie. On Sunday, there were light winds out of the south but there were still 1 footers that were close in proximity to give a rough ride. Quite frankly, my neck gets sore from all the pounding and the waves were not big at all. This was my first boat and I do enjoy it. If I am going to continue to boat on the big lake, I will need to get a different, heavier boat, this I know. I love the big lake for what it has to offer and our inland lakes are just too small. I actually noticed my dash was cracked (just discovered today) and I'm sure it's from the pounding of Lake Erie. I have come out of the water and have heard the intakes (like jet skis) and that's not good. I have had my boat in the gulf twice but even the ocean is easier with 1-2 footers because they are spaced out and with the correct speed, don't beat you up. My two cents.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Kevin M, is your dash crack spider webbing in the gelcoat or a crack in the fiberglass? Spider webbing in the gelcoat is pretty common regardless of usage.

Also I agree that the Great Lakes can offer some of the toughest water out there.

Our boat has experienced air in the intakes (the spinning up sound) hundreds of times without any structural issues.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't speak to much on the jet boats in rougher conditions but just a general thought well maybe more of a question. Do you think having ballast tanks at the rear on the boat full would help? I would imagine this would help keep the rear of the boat planted and the bow up. I know most of these boats don't have them but maybe someone who does or has added them could chime in.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce It's the plastic dash behind the switches. It's hard to see in the photo but if you zoom, you can see the fine crack.IMG_3934.jpg

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In the past I've spent quite a bit of time in the Long Island Sound and the shores around Long Island. Not with my Yamaha though. To be honest - if I mostly boated in the sound - I would have most definitely bought a different boat.

Our lake can get crazy busy on the weekends - 3' swells from the big cruisers. I am not crazy about how our boats track thru big wakes or swells. The boat wanders all over. If you can hit them at a certain angle, then no problem. But if you gotta take them on the side - like if your going thru a channel and u have boats on either side - you are working it while the boats wanders all over the place. I often wonder what the Cobalt behind me is thinking while I'm doing my best to track straight.

I do fill up my ballast tanks when its real rough - it definitely smoothens out the ride with the weight in there and the bow up in the air.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stay out of it. Not that it isn't safe - I can handle it, but where is the fun in getting you, the passengers and the boat beat to hell? These are sport boats (at least that's what theowner's manual on my 2001 LS2000 stated "Yamaha Sport Boat"). Not fishing boats, not ocean going boats not rough water boats. These boats were made for lakes and rivers, and they perform beautifully for this purpose. Rough waters? Buy a bigger boat.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@octavio331 I agree with what you are saying. My experience with this boat is all on lakes. I have had other boats in Savannah and they handle the rough water much better. I have had regular wakes/waves of 2 and 3 feet (sometimes more) on these lakes. It is very rough for everyone. There are places where wakes/waves are bouncing every which way and the boat just can't stay straight. Some of the waves push/pull her one way while others are head on. Since we moved to lake Hartwell it doesn't happen near as much (less traffic) but if the wind is up you can expect some squirrely action. All in all I am used to it but as you say the others around us must wonder what am I doing as I go past them! :happy:

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Close your eyes and gun it!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A lot of discussion about where you should or shouldn't boat and what our boats can handle. While all very valid, a bit off from Bruce's question/comments. Yes, we all agree, our boats are lake boats or whatever term you want to use. However, if you boat on coastal waters or large lakes, you will get caught in a storm at some point and encounter rough water. So... what are some tips to handle this???

Our boats are very light and also have a tendency to drop the bow when coming off plane (think sub move). Both of these characteristics do not work well for offshore/rough water duty. The bow dipping can somewhat be overcome by proper weight distribution and application of power while underway to keep the proper boat attitude for the conditions, whether steep chop, a following sea or whatever. The lack of a rudder makes for interesting handling in a following sea or crossing wakes as others have mentioned. The light weight... well sometimes you're going to pound a bit more by riding on top of rather than through the chop.

As has been discussed, this years Bimini trip was unfortunate for a few. Bruce mentioned Port Everglades inlet. Yeah it was nasty that morning with an outgoing tide and a 20 mph wind blowing inland. The waves were stacked tall and short that morning. I worked hard at keeping the bow up and plowed through the inlet. It was rough, but once through, I was able to get on plane and had no issues the rest of the crossing other than a long hard ride. Sure our boats are not designed for crossing the oceans. Under the right conditions, 17 footers and jet skis have been making this trip for ages. Under the right conditions, our boats can make this trip easily too. Be prepared for the risks and understand the risks, make your choice if this is right for you. The Bimini trip is biting off a bit more than the after coastal run or getting caught on the lake.

Tips - with our boats, its about weight distribution, do not overload, and pilot the boat for the conditions you encounter. There are so many ways the waves can stack up on you that it is hard to describe them all in a simple posting. Are you trying to go somewhere or are you just hunkering down for the squall to pass. As Mel stated, the sea is unforgiving.

Anyway, random thoughts for now... maybe more to come later.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never boated on a lake, all my experience is either inshore or on the occasion, offshore (5 miles + out). All boats have a limit but in my experience a 24' Yamaha should easily cope with rough water weather, the big problem with all our boats is they have a whacking big hole in them called a bow rider.
Years ago a bow rider, (jezz, sounding like a right old fart now) was almost non-existent, most had a solid bow, so as you got spray or ploughed through the surf the water would just flow around the screen and off the boat.
I've owned a lot of the British built "Fletchers", fantastic, well made boats, a stable diet for the off-shore Britboater (see what I did there ;)), one of the later models I had, a bow rider, came with a fibreglass lid that fitted into a recess in the bow. It was held in place by Motorsport style clamps and sealed the front compartment completely, so any water just ran off, and with the centre screen closed this boat was capable of some serious wave bashing. I've seen a few modern bow riders with clip on material bow covers, but in open seas I wouldn't like to trust them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been in some pretty high seas in the Yamaha; they were 5-6 footers spaced around 10 seconds. The only thing to do was ride the wave at a 35-45 degree angle and tack left and right to maintain a straight course. You'll need to start turning on the face of the wave so that you have enough time to fully turn before the trough. Even in smaller seas I will tack to take the waves at an angle and prevent the bow from taking on water or pounding the hull, keeping the bow slightly raised always helps if possible. You may end up running extra miles but it's more comfortable and safe.

bad_behavior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Great thread. I have a new to me 97 Sugar Sand Mirage 15' with 175hp Merc. I am also a little new to boating. So far I have taken her out on a lake and even with a little chop was ok. Places that I am considering taking her out in the future are Barnegat Bay , Sandy Hook sound and Long Island Sound. I know that half the answer is weather permitting but should any of these places be off limits? Right now I do not feel comfortable takeing her out in lower Hudson, but would consider areas above the Bear Mountain bridge. I welcome any advise from those familiar with any of these areas.

Thanks
Bad Behavior

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My 242 could definitely ride smoother in chop. Trim tabs would help too.

When it comes to chop and waves, unlike my I/O, I find this boat does not like to take them at 45 degree's. It will slam and jolt when doing that. I try to ride over the crest of them perpendicular to the direction of the front of the wave. If possible I also like to take chop head on as the boat will definitely cut through them, but you have to control the speed so you dont drop the bow.

Really when it comes to navigating rough waters, it comes down to speed and control. You should always have power on and never let the bow drop.

This is a pretty good read:

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/june/wave-wisdom.asp

This is a 48 footer that went nose high over a wave, then ate it going into the following one. He was going too fast and should have taken his at an angle.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is amazing.
Did he save it?
Lol I think that one was a total loss. This is from the boatus link:

This rare series of photos, captured in time-release over a few seconds in 2010, shows a 48-foot sportfish broaching as it attempts to enter Jupiter Inlet, Florida, through large breaking waves. Crossing the face of one wave, the bow noses deep into the wave ahead — a fatal combination of forces that, within literally half a second, causes even this larger boat to roll uncontrollably. Photos: Stuart Browning