• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet newbie interested in FL!

SLM_FL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all, I just joined although I don't have a jet boat just yet, but am actively looking for one. I grew up around boats nearly my entire life and its only been the last ~15 years that I've been without. My problem being that they seem to be popular in my area so they either aren't any available locally or they are out of my price range. Looking to stay under about the $15-16k price range so trying to find something like a 210 or 230 in about 2004-2008 range which seems doable. I do have some concerns however so I've come here to chat with you all!

First question I guess, is there anyone in the space coast nearby or even Orlando that has a jet boat that I could see? I've recently visited a dealer here locally that had a beautiful '05 SX230 that I fell in love with, but unless I put a deposit down and pretty much agree to go through with a purchase, they wouldn't water test it! Without any private sellers here either, I'm very limited in the exposure that I have.

Also, the #1 main concern I have about the boat is the noise. I've heard that they are louder than others. I can understand some noise, but I am concerned over noise so loud or high pitched that it either gives me a headache (which I am prone to) or else its just not enjoyable. I've tried to watch some youtube videos and it does appear that there is a high pitched "squeal" even at cruising speeds that may be quite annoying, although its hard to really get a grasp from a video as well. I see some have had success with adding some soundproofing and some haven't, so this is another reason I'd love to meet someone locally that has one, even just to listen to it.

The last question is about salt. I know how to flush and I have a lift on my dock right outside my back door so it wouldn't be sitting in water except for when in use, but I've also heard others say that with these jet engines even flushing isn't enough and that they wouldn't touch a jet thats ever been in salt.

So without making this too long, thanks for having me and please do let me know if there is anyone local that wouldn't mind showing me your boat the next time you are out so I can see one in action in person before pulling the trigger. Thanks all!

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
OK, I'm in the Orlando area and have a 2012 Sea Doo Challenger 210 SE (twin 215HP motors). Let me address your questions:

As for noise, this boat is louder under power than our previous ski nautique with a V8 right behind the driver. The noise is similar to a high revving 4 banger than the burble of the V8. It only becomes a little annoying at cruising speeds, not so much at idle or slower speeds.

As for the salt. We use our boat in salt on occasion, but we flush each time with salt away. The motors are cooled with antifreeze, so the only part of the motor that comes in contact with source water is the exhaust. If you saw our boat, you'd be hard pressed to figure out it's ever been in the salt. No corrosion anywhere. I have a buddy with the same year boat (different model) and his shows signs of salt use. It really comes down to the owner and how well the boat was maintained.

We were doing some boat shopping recently and we were amazed how bad every boat we saw looked. Ours is 5 years old (198 hours) and is a solid 8 out of 10. It's also a black hull which is a nightmare to keep nice, but ours looks great. We are very anal about keeping the boat looking and running good.

I'm heading out Saturday to a local lake for the day. You're more than welcome to come by and see the boat. If you wanted to meet up at the lake and come for a ride, I'd be more than happy to help you out. PM me if you're interested.

SLM_FL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, I'm in the Orlando area and have a 2012 Sea Doo Challenger 210 SE (twin 215HP motors). Let me address your questions:

As for noise, this boat is louder under power than our previous ski nautique with a V8 right behind the driver. The noise is similar to a high revving 4 banger than the burble of the V8. It only becomes a little annoying at cruising speeds, not so much at idle or slower speeds.

As for the salt. We use our boat in salt on occasion, but we flush each time with salt away. The motors are cooled with antifreeze, so the only part of the motor that comes in contact with source water is the exhaust. If you saw our boat, you'd be hard pressed to figure out it's ever been in the salt. No corrosion anywhere. I have a buddy with the same year boat (different model) and his shows signs of salt use. It really comes down to the owner and how well the boat was maintained.

We were doing some boat shopping recently and we were amazed how bad every boat we saw looked. Ours is 5 years old (198 hours) and is a solid 8 out of 10. It's also a black hull which is a nightmare to keep nice, but ours looks great. We are very anal about keeping the boat looking and running good.

I'm heading out Saturday to a local lake for the day. You're more than welcome to come by and see the boat. If you wanted to meet up at the lake and come for a ride, I'd be more than happy to help you out. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks so much for your reply! I've sent you a PM.