• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet nozzels not aligned

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I installed Ultimate AK fins and Mega Fangs today. When I was done I noticed that the two nozzles are not pointing in alignment. It seems that the port nozzle is pointing slightly inwards while the starboard nozzle is pointing straight out. When I centered the wheel and looked, the rudder is out 5 degrees. Can someone give me some guidance on how to correct this?

Attachments

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
When I got my boat it was not setup straight either. I fixed when I put my cobra AK fins on by unattaching the steering cable and the link arm that goes to the articulating keel. Then I straightened the steering wheel, put the jets and articulating keel in complete straight alignment. Then per cobra suggestion towed in the jet nozzles about a 1/4”. After I had this all setup I adjusted the steering cable and steering link arms to conform to the setup and reattached. Not sure if you want or new to go this far but it did work out perfectly for me to resetup everything from scratch.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Aligning the nozzles is very important ,center the wheel, then undo the steering cables at the nozzle arms. Remove the bolt from the rudder to detach the tie rods, with the reverse up out of the way.
Now place a straight edge across the 2 nozzle openings, I use a level for this. if you can get someone to hold the level against the nozzles while you readjust the two steering cable ends to reattach them with the nozzles evenly.
Then readjust the tie rod ends to meet at the rudder and using the tie rods adjust them out just about 1/8 inch and lock them in place there will be enough free play in the cables to allow this.
Now your fins are towed in slightly and will track very nicely at speed. also the tie rods will hold the nozzles in proper place much better than just the steering cables alone.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I will try tomorrow.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is one hell of a bad ass steering system with the new SUPER ULTIMATE A K FINS and the Mega Fang Plus upgrade you are going to make someone I know on here very jealous.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I can't wait to try it out. My son and his kids will be here from Florida on Monday. Need to be up and running soon 🤪

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
BTW....... Jeff, thanks for being so quick to help out. I know that I appreciate it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No problem at all

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Then readjust the tie rod ends to meet at the rudder and using the tie rods adjust them out just about 1/8 inch and lock them in place there will be enough free play in the cables to allow this.
I think that's how I did mine, but it has been a while.
I think I have the same setup... but maybe there's been something new and I missed it?

My rods/nozzles have just a little bit of play, and the steering is very smooth. At some point I had the rods too tight and steering was heavy, checking on the trailer. For me, I like it when I can easily move both nozzles (w/rods and steering linkages attached) by just grabbing the rudder (articulating keel) and moving it with one hand (from the back of the boat).

I keep the steering linkages lubricated with CRC656, spray and move back and forth every time I pull out, trailer or lift. I think that keeps the linkages from "freezing", hope I won;t have to replace the cables anytime soon.

I can tell you one thing, once your steering with the Cobra fins and the extra rod is all set correctly the boat tracks strait, and it is VERY stable. I can take my hands off the steering and the boat tracks completely strait for as long as I want, unless there is some strong wind or current.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@swatski you have a super Magnum AK and Mega Fangs he chose the new Super ULTIMATE A K and Mega Fang Plus he said he wanted to one up you and do a double S turn off power.. OK just kidding.

Here was a write-up from @cameron.sprinkle after he installed the original ultimate AK and mega fang plus. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet-ultimate-ak-w-mega-fangs-plus-review.19567/ Like I say it's like buying a new boat without the expense. He is also going to upgrade to the super ultimate steering soon , he would have had it already however he was kind enough to wait until I get my next load of parts as I am very close to being sold out of everything, but I think I will be picking up the first batch tomorrow if all goes as planned.
that was swatski showing off with his cobra steering doing S turns without any forward thrust.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski you have a super Magnum AK and Mega Fangs he chose the new Super ULTIMATE A K and Mega Fang Plus he said he wanted to one up you and do a double S turn off power.. OK just kidding.
Oh, I see what you are doing there! lol
Huh, I didn't realize there was a newer version of the AK fins, hard to keep up. If those are comparable in size - I think I'm good, I have been really happy.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just yanking your chain a bit lol

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I’m waiting for the Super Duper Ultra Supreme AK fins with Mega Ultra Supra Fang Plus.:winkingthumbsup" .... now I’m just yanking your chain. :D Seriously though have you ever considered going with a 1.0, 2.0 , 3.0 scheme? Your fins rock but I find your naming convention thoroughly confusing!! Can’t just be me, can it? :p

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hum, put a straight edge across the two nozzles. All four points contact the straight edge. This would indicate to me that they are aligned. Maybe just an "eye" issue.
Secondly, Jeff noticed that I installed the spring improperly on my ultimate fins. He was great giving corrective advice. Now I just need to get out and give them a try.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok then you should be ok now that the spring issues were corrected

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Bryan_ny the original picture is also showing the lowering spacer was left off of the right tie rod at the nozzle just noticed that

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Liftr for me to see that I would need a clear shot of the spring from the side of the nozzle by the fin at the spring position

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This picture shows the proper position for the spring on any version of the Ultimate, super ultimate and Super ultimate A K steering.
The front arm of the spring is over the steering arm of the nozzle with the back longer arm over the top of the fin. Note the fin position is all the way out of the water at speed and NOT the normal setting I just used it because the fin being up allows you to see behind the steering arm for a complete view of both spring arms.

Attachments

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Okay. My spring placement matches your photo. Thanks!