• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet prop grease question (65hp Merc jet outboard)

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The sticker on my motor says use NLGI No. 2 lubricant that is water resistant. I found some grease at the second hand store that is NLGI No. 2 and says its water insoluble. Coastal Premium Moly EP Grease suitable for Ford Lincoln Mercury chassis, drum brake wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. Lithium 12 hydroxy extreme pressure grease. Is this the right type of grease to use?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mmm, water soluble is not quite the same thing as water resistant. I would look for a Marine grease if you have time to look. Water soluble implies that water will dilute it and turn it to nothing.

Edit: I missed the "In" in front of INsoluble!. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sticker on my motor says use NLGI No. 2 lubricant that is water resistant. I found some grease at the second hand store that is NLGI No. 2 and says its water insoluble. Coastal Premium Moly EP Grease suitable for Ford Lincoln Mercury chassis, drum brake wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. Lithium 12 hydroxy extreme pressure grease. Is this the right type of grease to use?
Yes, that should be ok to use.
Mmm, water soluble is not quite the same thing as water resistant. I would look for a Marine grease if you have time to look. Water soluble implies that water will dilute it and turn it to nothing.
Not being rude, just pointing out that when you reread the op, he does say water insoluble, not water soluble.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oooooops!!!!!

I edited my post, my apologies. I actually looked up water soluble grease to see if that existed. My bad.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(If that is the biggest mistake you make today, call it a win and go to bed!)

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any of you use the Academy sports brand Mystik JT-6 grease in a Mercury Jet outboard? I've been using the expensive Mercury grease with mine. I dont know if I can link it but below is what they say about it. I have a trip in the morning and forgot to buy grease today. I really pushed the motor today and tomorrow morning will be doing the same.

Features and Benefits
  • Recommended for marine applications including greased automotive chassis points, trailer wheel bearings, bearing buddies, boat lifts, hydraulic jack plates, steering components and tilt-and-trim systems
  • Can also be used in nonmarine applications that call for a multipurpose EP grease with outstanding water resistance
  • Compatible with most lithium and lithium-complex greases
  • Water insoluble for great water resistance
  • EP and shock load protection
  • Polymer-fortified for metal adhesion
  • Proprietary additive system for protection against rust and wear in both freshwater and saltwater
  • NLGI Grade 2
  • Made in USA
Specifications
  • Amount: 14 oz.
What's in the Box
  • Mystik® JT-6 High Performance 14 oz. Marine Grease

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got a reply from Mystik about their grease:

"Mystik JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease has very good water resistance and is an NLGI #2 anhydrous calcium thickened grease. Unlike the Mercury 2-4-C, it is not a lithium soap thickened grease and it does not contain PTFE. We do not have data to support the use of the Mystik JT-6 High Performance Marine Grease in this application."

A lot of grease jargon in there. I am guessing the short answer is "don't use it" even if it meets the specs in my manual?

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just read the calcium greases are better at high temps but may have issue at low temps and may have wash out issues? I may have been reading about the wrong grease? A $10 difference in price is worth research... unless its bad research.

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok I spoke with Mystic again. "Anhydrous calcium" is different and has a lower dropping point. Sounds like it would not work good in a Jet Outboard. Just posting this hear just in case someone else has the same question. I will have to stick to the more expensive Quicksilver 2-4-C grease and try to use less of it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I understand it, the real question is what type of grease you already have in there. Certain grease types are compatible with others and certain ones not. There was a table around here somewhere with the compatibilities. But basically, if there is anhydrous calcium in there, best to add anhydrous calcium. If lithium, add lithium. If poly, add poly. Etc.

Of course, in your situation, if you don't know what is in there already, that doesn't get you very far.

Panfish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been using the lithium. Before the lithium who knows. The boat builder gave me grease and may have not realized standards changed. I am going to buy some quicksilver now. Thank you early pay day (this stuff is so expensive...).