• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot New Video Series: Yamaha VS BRP Powered Jet Boats

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals. We wanted to take some time and share some of the differences we learned about the Yamaha Jet Boat and its pros and cons compared to the BRP Powered jet boats, such as Scarab, Chaparral, Glastron and SeaDoo and the pros and cons we've observed with them as well.

This video series was designed to help you make an educated decision when choosing your new boat. We will be adding new content over the next few weeks and would love to hear your feedback, or even suggestions on what you'd like to learn about.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2nd Video in series, Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Ride Characteristics:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
  1. 3rd Video in series, Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Reverse Characteristics:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool, informative series as I'm sure it will help people boat shopping the jet boat brands.

Hey Will. I think your first post is a duplicate video of the 2nd one.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure how that happened. I fixed it. Thanks!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good vids. I agree that the first 2 vids are the same. One thing I might mention about the keel is that it helps with wake boarding and tubing. I still feel but boat get pulled a little sideways with a 3 person tube or a heavy turning wake boarder but I've heard other people say it's real bad on other jet boats.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @subysti the keel does improve the watersports experience.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is the 4th video in the series Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Jet Boats: Cleanout Plug VS Sleeve Over Shaft

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is the 5th video in the series Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Jet Boats: Yamaha Flush VS BRP Flush

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is the 6th video in the series Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Jet Boats: BRP Fresh Water Flush Tips

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is the 7th video in the series Yamaha VS Scarab/Chaparral/Glastron/SeaDoo Jet Boats: Thrust Vector Size Comparison

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Awesome! Haven't had time to watch all yet because i have 6 kids in my ears but looking forward to it! I am so glad Yamaha isn't the only game in town and the new options are very tempting!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow! 6 Kids! I am the oldest of 6 so I can say that I have felt a portion of your pain!!! But seriously kids are awesome and I love mine dearly! Thanks for the encouragement!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow! 6 Kids! I am the oldest of 6 so I can say that I have felt a portion of your pain!!! But seriously kids are awesome and I love mine dearly! Thanks for the encouragement!
Lol thankfully only 3 are mine! My wife babysits for a friend and sometimes i feel like i see their kids more than they do!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great videos @JetBoatPilot. I'm sure that they'll help others greatly.
I think that the new keel-based hull design is greatly underappreciated, and poorly promoted for what they really do. I agree with the points in the handling video. If I were to characterize the difference between the two systems in terms of high-speed forward motion handling, this is how I would do it.
1. If you combine a sandbuggy and a drifting car, you have the non-keeled hull experience, or in boating terms, you have a big jet ski, which is a blast to drive, and have fun with.
2. The keel-based hull is like driving a formula one car. Yes, it gives more control similar to a prop boat, which some might characterize as boring.
Here's the part that everybody fails to recognize with the keel-based hulls, and in my opinion it is a huge differentiator. Take any non-keel jet boat, and any prop boat at a speed of 50 mph (I say 50 because 48-52 is the wot speed of my AR240), crank the steering full-starboard, or full-port, and see what you get.
My 2015 AR240 gives you safety (nobody has to worry about bouncing out of the boat) and control (I know exactly where my boat is going), as pointed out by many already, and it gives g-forces like a formula one car. What it doesn't give is cavitation, spiking RPMs, injured passengers, and a stern that is bouncing sideways.
Many will characterize the Yamaha keel-based hulls as handling more like a prop, but they deliver much more at wot and sharp turns... something that nobody else can do.
Having owned both Yamaha hull types, maybe @swatski and @Julian have an opinion to share from a Yamaha perspective. Also, I'm sure that many of our members who have owned prop boats can agree that cranking a sustained hard turn at 50 mph and not cavitating is unlikely with a prop driven boat.
Yes, in the end, it's a matter of preference, but it's important to recognize that the keel-based hulls are outstanding in a F-1 kind of way.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, the keel based line up eliminate the very disconcerting wiggling that the non keel boats do when crossing waves or wakes.....they stick it!

I think they struck a delicate balance between the extreme jet boat whip you around feeling, and the stodgy in line wake sports drive. Hard to pinpoint the best point in the middle, but they did a good job.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess my point is that the keel-based hulls are viewed as an in-the-middle kind of compromise. For me in terms of forward motion, there's no compromise, and they can't be beat for tight high-speed turns.

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Greatly appreciate these videos. I've got a Glastron, and having joined this community that *seems* mostly Yamaha for some reason, I have been pondering if I followed the wrong path, but I realize that it's more of a parallel path with a common destination. One path follows curves a bit differently, that's all.

Thanks,

NS

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@NavyShooter bear in mind Yamaha has been making jet boats for 21 years. Glastron only 3 so the Yamaha crowd will be bigger for some time to come.

You're right, all of us love the freedom and safety and simplicity of our jet boats and that common thread brings us all together here.

We'll try to continue producing new content as we can get our hands on subject boats.