• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio complete Upgrade, 242 Limited S E, 2016,

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally completed my stereo upgrade on the 2016, 242 Limited S E. Bought all the components throughout the winter and installed as the months went along. I ended up wth all JL Audio components finding sales throughout the holidays. I did my own install and saved some money. Thanks to Youtube "Rob's Yamaha Jetboat DIY Maintenance" and couple of other wiring channels it wasn't that bad. I ended up getting a third battery for stereo use only. I also installed a ProMarine ProSport 20+ 3 bank on board charger. I decided to go away from the connext and installed a Media Master 50 to control zones. Best move in my opinion. All the power is fused and on distribution blocks. This is what I ended up with:
  • MM50 Source Unit,
  • M800/8v2, Amp
  • M400/4, Amp
  • M6-770ETXv3-Sb-S-GmTi, Tower Speakers
  • M3-650X-S-Gm, 3 Pair,
  • M3-770X-S-Gm,
  • M6-10IB-S-GmTi-4, Sub,
  • M-SWMCPv3-2.375, Swivel Mounts
  • Single Port USB 3.0 Aux
  • Tower Speaker covers
  • MMR-10W Wireless, remote controller system (installing soon)

Attachments

Last edited:

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks epic!
I bet it sounds amazing! So jelly!
Well, compared to the stock yes. From what I've seen on the community there are some awesome systems out there. This was my attempt with my limited knowledge of stereo installs. I do have to say that YouTube is great. LOL.

wTheOnew

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks really clean.

The bulkhead that your larger amp is attached, did you make that or was that already there? If you made it, what's under the carpet?

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fortunately there is plywood under the carpet in that area. I just screwed into it. If I was thinking I would have put about a 1/4" spacer between just to get some airflow. Maybe in the future. The reason I went with the amps there is because is less distance from the battery and at the beginning I was going to hook up to the existing system.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Looks NICE! Those JL's will run cool too so don't fret the heat. Bigger question is - how does it SOUND?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Clean work!

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks NICE! Those JL's will run cool too so don't fret the heat. Bigger question is - how does it SOUND?
Sounds great. I have a buddy that's going to tune it for me and make sure the setting are good.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boom! Nice work! I feel like I need one or two more subs. I have a problem.

enjoy!

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
At some point I may switch out the 400 amp for another 800 and add another sub and pair of tower speakers. Just a thought. For right now I want to just enjoy the months I spent on that thing. LOL

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks great...sure it sounds amazing!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally completed my stereo upgrade on the 2016, 242 Limited S E. Bought all the components throughout the winter and installed as the months went along. I ended up wth all JL Audio components finding sales throughout the holidays. I did my own install and saved some money. Thanks to Youtube "Rob's Yamaha Jetboat DIY Maintenance" and couple of other wiring channels it wasn't that bad. I ended up getting a third battery for stereo use only. I also installed a ProMarine ProSport 20+ 3 bank on board charger. I decided to go away from the connext and installed a Media Master 50 to control zones. Best move in my opinion. All the power is fused and on distribution blocks. This is what I ended up with:
  • MM50 Source Unit,
  • M800/8v2, Amp
  • M400/4, Amp
  • M3-650X-S-Gm, 3 Pair,
  • M3-770X-S-Gm,
  • M6-10IB-S-GmTi-4, Sub,
  • Tower Speaker covers
Which speakers are the M3-770s - as in where did you fit them? I am curious to see if I could fit a pair in the cabin spots....

Garyav16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Which speakers are the M3-770s - as in where did you fit them? I am curious to see if I could fit a pair in the cabin spots....
4th picture are the 7.7s. They are on the swim deck. I had to trim some. I had a mother set to put on the port and starboard side but didn't want to cut anymore holes. 7.7s won't fit in the stock area over the cup holders because it's not deep enough. If you drop below the cup holders on the white panel portion you have more than enough room.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
4th picture are the 7.7s. They are on the swim deck. I had to trim some. I had a mother set to put on the port and starboard side but didn't want to cut anymore holes. 7.7s won't fit in the stock area over the cup holders because it's not deep enough. If you drop below the cup holders on the white panel portion you have more than enough room.
I hadn't thought about depth....going to have to measure that....perhaps a spacer would work?

alain Ganamet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Send me an email at jetski16@icloud.com I’m on the boat today. Can send pics.
Hi Garyav16, do you remember how much depth and what is the hole Dia we have for speakers at the various locations? (Bow, Mid and swim deck areas). I have a 2018 Limited S and looking to upgrade speakers. tks

Jwhuppenthal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
  • MM50 Source Unit,
  • M800/8v2, Amp
  • M400/4, Amp
  • M3-650X-S-Gm, 3 Pair,
  • M3-770X-S-Gm,
  • M6-10IB-S-GmTi-4, Sub,
  • Tower Speaker covers

Any certain reason why you don’t use the Connext anymore? Was it a compatibility issue or just your personal preference?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any certain reason why you don’t use the Connext anymore? Was it a compatibility issue or just your personal preference?
My guess is because the 2016 boats used Polk head units and the connext screens were hard coded to them vs a NEMA interface. So once you drop Polk....you have to drop integration to Connext.