• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL audio tower speakers, sub and amps

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally got some audio added to the boat. MUCH better sound. Question is, should I replace the Polk speakers or just amplify them? If replace, 6.5 or 7.7? Is it worth the customization?

Attachments

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since you already have them, amplify the Polk's first then see if you want to replace them or not. Whatever you replace them with you were going to have to amplify them anyways, might as well see how you like the sound before dropping more cash.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is that a 10" or 12" JL sub?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has to be a 10". I measured my boat before and I don't think a 12 will fit in the rear sear area (Atleast not in an exposed IB Set Up). If it does, you would likely hit the floor and the seat cushion

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
beat me to it

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks bigger there for some reason.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Camera adds 10lbs :)

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 10" is pretty awesome, I don't think a 12" would look right there if it even fit.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is behind the co captain seat.

20170909_110525.jpg

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got some audio added to the boat. MUCH better sound. Question is, should I replace the Polk speakers or just amplify them? If replace, 6.5 or 7.7? Is it worth the customization?

What JL tower speakers are you running, 7.7 or 8.8s, and what are you powering them with.

I'm interested in the performance of the JL towers

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are either shorter than me, or didn't anticipate the number of times you will crack your head into those tower speakers! LOL I have moved my Polk tower speakers off to the side as far as the stock wires will allow me...this reduced the head hitting, but hasn't eliminated it....on my todo list is to lengthen the wires so I can get them all the way out to the outer edge!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are either shorter than me, or didn't anticipate the number of times you will crack your head into those tower speakers! LOL I have moved my Polk tower speakers off to the side as far as the stock wires will allow me...this reduced the head hitting, but hasn't eliminated it....on my todo list is to lengthen the wires so I can get them all the way out to the outer edge!
I was getting ready to ask the same thing. I'm debating on getting a sound bar for mine to eliminate this exact problem. At 6'2" tall, if I'm having a "tall hair" moment I brush the tower in my AR190. Really limits my options on adding sound to the tower.

I do like that sub though. Audio upgrades are on my winter mod list!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been on a few boats with JL 7.7 pods and i seem to crack ny head 4 or 5 times a day. I am 6'3 so that dont help. When it comes to 6.5 or 7.7 and even 7.7 or 8.8. I always say if you can afford it, go bigger. You can always turn it down if you need to.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have been on a few boats with JL 7.7 pods and i seem to crack ny head 4 or 5 times a day. I am 6'3 so that dont help. When it comes to 6.5 or 7.7 and even 7.7 or 8.8. I always say if you can afford it, go bigger. You can always turn it down if you need to.
That's why I went 10's :D

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What JL tower speakers are you running, 7.7 or 8.8s, and what are you powering them with.

I'm interested in the performance of the JL towers
They are 7.7's. They sound amazing. If I was to do over, I would've done 8.8's for the tower though. The slampak's are great - just better stuff available. Tower's are powered with a JL 200 /2 amp.

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm short, but unfortunately have hit the damn things a few times already. I've just gotten better at keeping aware of them and avoiding. I've considered adding a second pair to the tower and putting them on the outside.

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since you already have them, amplify the Polk's first then see if you want to replace them or not. Whatever you replace them with you were going to have to amplify them anyways, might as well see how you like the sound before dropping more cash.
Added the 600/6 JL amp and the boat finally sounds good. I don't know why the this amp isn't stock. I'm now looking to change the polk to JL to match and improve quality at volume. The audio dealer suggested replacing the 6 stock 6.5" with the JL 7.7". Trying to find out if anyone has done that to see fitment. At least I have volume now - just max out at around 85% before distortion really sets in.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you will find out that with the proper power to those Stocks 6.5 and they will scream. I think Yamaha did a horrible job with those fake amps they install for those speakers. Lol. They really should have gone better.

But in all if you wan to save $, I think a good dedicated amp to the stocks will have you pretty satisfied. I ran my stocks for 2 seasons and to be honest they could compete with most out there and I only had 75 watts going to each. Probably lower than that in theory. Just wanted something more insane I suppose is why I went with the M1.

RCarlisle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you will find out that with the proper power to those Stocks 6.5 and they will scream. I think Yamaha did a horrible job with those fake amps they install for those speakers. Lol. They really should have gone better.

But in all if you wan to save $, I think a good dedicated amp to the stocks will have you pretty satisfied. I ran my stocks for 2 seasons and to be honest they could compete with most out there and I only had 75 watts going to each. Probably lower than that in theory. Just wanted something more insane I suppose is why I went with the M1.
I've run them in the driveway and they are LOUD, but don't have the clarity I'd like. Before the 100w per channel amp, the stock was garbage. I was very disappointed with them. I'm not in a hurry to change the polk's out, but it's going to happen. I just want to know how hard it would be to get 7.7's in the same space as the 6.5's.