• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joined the Pellet Smoker Club

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, since Traeger fell behind on Pellet smoker features over the past few years, I was excited to see the new 2019 Pro models pop up this spring.

We just got back from a long weekend in Scottsdale and our rental home gave us access to a gas grill and a Traeger. After a tri-tip, steaks, burgers and dogs on the Traeger, my wife said the magic words... I want one!

Since her birthday is a month away, I started cashing in some rewards points for Cabelas gift cards. Traegers never go on sale other than Costco road shows. So it was cool to save a bit on this new model. I saved enough that I bumped up to a larger model than expected. We figure if we are firing this thing up to smoke, we may as well have some room for more meat!!

I road tripped to the closest Cabelas last night and made it home in time to assemble. My wife loaded the app, the smoker is connected to the Traeger cloud, and we named our Pro780 "smokey" I would have preferred Cheech! We will break it in tonight properly as directed, and then load up the Tri-Tip

Woo Woo! I'm jacked to prove the naysayers wrong on the new Traegers.

Attachments

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep us posted on how it goes. I want to upgrade from the propane smoker and I am looking at the Traeger.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After talking with a few folks on a 22,000 user facebook forum, they all agreed that the new 575 and 780 were too new to judge. But the features should get them back in the game if they work as promised.

My local dealer said the new brushless motor on the auger, variable speed fan and turbo heat function really addressed the limitations of previous models. The new WiFire capability is the "neato" feature that the Green Mountain grills have had. Only this will work anywhere, where the GMG can only work while on the same network. Will I use it? Who knows. But if anything it's great to monitor temps for sure.

Pics and reviews to come this week

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the Traeger lil Tex for about 4 years and finally decided to switch over to GMG after getting tired of replacing parts. Over the course of 4 years I replaced the hot rod 3 time, digital thermostat, fan motor and auger motor. I finally had enough after replace everything and I was continuing to blow my 110w GDI circuit. I picked up a GMG around black Friday for about $200 off the regular purchase price. So far I miss my Traeger as the GMG cooks so much hotter on one side, seems to burn pellets faster and drips grease down the lid door onto the ground. I use my grill 3-4 times a week for heavy grease items like bacon, burgers, and sausage. So I tend to see more grease then most would however I also clean it after using 2 bags of pellets as recommended.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When my current propane grill that I converted to NG starts needing parts I am making the switch. Having a fuel source that I don’t have to refill is nice. How long does a bag of pellets last?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only problem I’ve had with the traeger is that the pellets burn back through the auger into the pellet bin sometimes. I’m not sure why. I have it between my house and external detached garage and I don’t know if it’s the wind doing it because it’s like a wind tunnel.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
GMG works everywhere, it is wifi? I borrowed Dirks while waiting on my Bull to arrive. Rec Tec does also. :cool:. Hell, Pit Boss does too and if you keep a close eye on em, they go on silly sales some times.

I looked into em, couldn't justify the risk. Spending that much, I just had to ensure I had the best. But, I hope their original quality standards are back, Traeger definitely set the stage originally.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only problem I’ve had with the traeger is that the pellets burn back through the auger into the pellet bin sometimes. I’m not sure why. I have it between my house and external detached garage and I don’t know if it’s the wind doing it because it’s like a wind tunnel.
Whenever I had issues like this, without fail for me, it was that I had a ton of sawdust, which would start the fire leeching back into the auger. Sometimes it was from the end of the bag, other times it was from me having pellets break down in the hopper. These folks are local-ish to me - cookinpellets.com - and I've had great success with their pellets, as well as far less decomposition and sawdust. You can get 'em from Amazon if you wanted to try them.

Force-feed the auger to clear everything, then reload the hopper and start it over.

Not sure your feelings about it, but I replaced the controller a while ago, and the level of control it gave me changed everything for me. This is the one I picked up. Another thing I can't recommend enough. I'd like to say all burn-back into the auger tube stopped when I replaced the controller, but I think it's a combo of that, good pellets, and paying attention to the sawdust and keeping it out of the hopper.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I almost got the timberline until I found the cookshack fast eddie 500. They smoke just like the traegers but also have a direct pellet fire grill. Also they are 100% stainless steel, and living in the pnw the traegers last 3-4 years.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I almost got the timberline until I found the cookshack fast eddie 500. They smoke just like the traegers but also have a direct pellet fire grill. Also they are 100% stainless steel, and living in the pnw the traegers last 3-4 years.
damn , you cook for a lot huh. FEC is a great cooker made right here in Oklahoma. I cooked some of my comps on FEC 100. Great cookers. My first pellet pooper was a Traeger BBQ125, they were made in Oregon. For my pellet cooker now, I have a yoder now. I like the thicker metal as it holds temp better in the cold. One thing I learned on pellet cookers in the cold, use a welding blanket to help retain the heat.

Last edited:

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
damn , you cook for a lot huh. FEC is a great cooker made right here in Oklahoma. I cooked some of my comps on FEC 100. Great cookers. My first pellet pooper was a Traeger BBQ125, they were made in Oregon. For my pellet cooker now, I have a yoder 480. I like the thicker metal as it holds temp better in the cold. One thing I learned on pellet cookers in the cold, use a welding blanket to help retain the heat.
Yep....built a cover over the deck so we can use it year round.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, since Traeger fell behind on Pellet smoker features over the past few years, I was excited to see the new 2019 Pro models pop up this spring.

We just got back from a long weekend in Scottsdale and our rental home gave us access to a gas grill and a Traeger. After a tri-tip, steaks, burgers and dogs on the Traeger, my wife said the magic words... I want one!

Since her birthday is a month away, I started cashing in some rewards points for Cabelas gift cards. Traegers never go on sale other than Costco road shows. So it was cool to save a bit on this new model. I saved enough that I bumped up to a larger model than expected. We figure if we are firing this thing up to smoke, we may as well have some room for more meat!!

I road tripped to the closest Cabelas last night and made it home in time to assemble. My wife loaded the app, the smoker is connected to the Traeger cloud, and we named our Pro780 "smokey" I would have preferred Cheech! We will break it in tonight properly as directed, and then load up the Tri-Tip

Woo Woo! I'm jacked to prove the naysayers wrong on the new Traegers.

View attachment 92997
getting welding blanket it will help a lot in the cold..

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
GMG works everywhere, it is wifi? I borrowed Dirks while waiting on my Bull to arrive. Rec Tec does also. :cool:. Hell, Pit Boss does too and if you keep a close eye on em, they go on silly sales some times.

I looked into em, couldn't justify the risk. Spending that much, I just had to ensure I had the best. But, I hope their original quality standards are back, Traeger definitely set the stage originally.
From what we saw last night, it was working well. But this will take hours of testing, and tons of pellets, and cases of beer to be sure!

The difference in WiFi controllers was explained to me this way. And honestly, this difference may never come into play, as we are home if it is on. The GMG is WiFi and you connect directly to the grill when you are on the same network. In other words, your phone/tablet running the app connects to the grill on that LAN. The Traeger grill connects to your WiFi network to access the Traeger network, and the App connects to the grill through the Traeger network. This allows the phone to go from WiFi, to Cell, to your neighbors WiFi whatever, as it is not finding the grill directly.

The only real benefit to this is if you are mobile and need to monitor the grill. For example, I am running to the store for more meat, sauces, pellets, pickup the kids. Or I'm sitting my ass in the boat, while monitoring the meat at the cabin. This is where that ability comes into play. I am told this is not possible with a GMG. Is this a deal breaker, hell no. As said, most of the time you will be within spitting distance. And the GMG is probably one of the best bangs for the buck. And I would have bought one if I had not gotten a ton of gift cards for Cabelas allowing me to score this new generation Traeger.

Tri Tip turned out good last night. I'm ready for pork shoulder for our poker game Friday night!!

Attachments

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whenever I had issues like this, without fail for me, it was that I had a ton of sawdust, which would start the fire leeching back into the auger. Sometimes it was from the end of the bag, other times it was from me having pellets break down in the hopper. These folks are local-ish to me - cookinpellets.com - and I've had great success with their pellets, as well as far less decomposition and sawdust. You can get 'em from Amazon if you wanted to try them.

Force-feed the auger to clear everything, then reload the hopper and start it over.

Not sure your feelings about it, but I replaced the controller a while ago, and the level of control it gave me changed everything for me. This is the one I picked up. Another thing I can't recommend enough. I'd like to say all burn-back into the auger tube stopped when I replaced the controller, but I think it's a combo of that, good pellets, and paying attention to the sawdust and keeping it out of the hopper.
[/QUOT
Did the controller just plug in?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Memphis in May! The world championship barbecue starting the 15th I fly in at 1:30

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From what we saw last night, it was working well. But this will take hours of testing, and tons of pellets, and cases of beer to be sure!

The difference in WiFi controllers was explained to me this way. And honestly, this difference may never come into play, as we are home if it is on. The GMG is WiFi and you connect directly to the grill when you are on the same network. In other words, your phone/tablet running the app connects to the grill on that LAN. The Traeger grill connects to your WiFi network to access the Traeger network, and the App connects to the grill through the Traeger network. This allows the phone to go from WiFi, to Cell, to your neighbors WiFi whatever, as it is not finding the grill directly.

The only real benefit to this is if you are mobile and need to monitor the grill. For example, I am running to the store for more meat, sauces, pellets, pickup the kids. Or I'm sitting my ass in the boat, while monitoring the meat at the cabin. This is where that ability comes into play. I am told this is not possible with a GMG. Is this a deal breaker, hell no. As said, most of the time you will be within spitting distance. And the GMG is probably one of the best bangs for the buck. And I would have bought one if I had not gotten a ton of gift cards for Cabelas allowing me to score this new generation Traeger.

Tri Tip turned out good last night. I'm ready for pork shoulder for our poker game Friday night!!

GMG does have a Server mode it can be monitored from anywhere the only thing is you can not turn the grill on unless on home network.
A2BC6224-36F4-41E3-9924-23F70C584603.jpeg

Your problem with the Backdraft may be related to the secondary fan. The GMG has 2 fans one at the bottom of the hopper blowing to the firepot and one at firepot. Not sure if those are built the same. Cookin pellets definitely one of the better pellets you can get. Wished we had a distributor close by. But the pitboss competition blend isn’t bad Either it does have more sawdust though.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb

Not a plug, you need to pull out the old one, match the new wires up to the old one, and wire nut them together. I silicone'd the wire nut to make it a bit weather resistant. IIRC, they give you a wiring schematic, and there's 3-5 wires (can't remember exactly) to connect. Nothing difficult at all. It can be done in 15 minutes, and that's if you're a slow reader LOL

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Weeb

Not a plug, you need to pull out the old one, match the new wires up to the old one, and wire nut them together. I silicone'd the wire nut to make it a bit weather resistant. IIRC, they give you a wiring schematic, and there's 3-5 wires (can't remember exactly) to connect. Nothing difficult at all. It can be done in 15 minutes, and that's if you're a slow reader LOL
I like the b&b pellets at academy. The price and there filler wood is oak , not non flavor alder

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All I can say, is walking through the Costco meat department has a whole new meaning now.

I bought these two gems last night, and they are going on at 5am tomorrow. I hope to have them ready for guests around happy hour!! I also attempted a firmware update on the new controller. It seems to be up to date for now as it held.

Attachments