• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joining the Carbon seal fun!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So on Saturday we were out on the lake, everything was peachy. The boat was running great, and the new system was bumping. We had a great time.

Once we got back to the dock, the bilge started to push water out. I shut off all systems, and my truck so I can listen to the bilge area. I heard the water leaking in. I reached down under the engine, and shook the drive shaft. It had some good play to it, and the bellows was ripped.

Took the boat out of the water, and drove it to the house. I raised the front of the trailer as high as I could to get all of the water out. Sprayed the engine completely with CRC 656, and left the engine compartment open to dry. This will keep the engine parts from rusting.

I pre-purchased the replacement parts because I knew this would be a hassle to wait for the dealer to order since they probably have no clue. Then I scheduled warranty repairs. I advised the dealer to look for shaft alignment, and worn motor mounts.

So, I can already see that my boating season is over, and this thing will be gone for a few months. I would do the repairs myself, but the more we bring these boats back, the more exposure it will give.

Now, here is what I believe finished the seal off. It seems that powering the boat on to the trailer is what placed stress on the seal. Since there isnt that much water flowing by the pump, it may have gotten overheated. I power my boat on the trailer all the time because I usually go out by myself, or with my daughter. Thats something to think about for you Scarab/Chap/Glastron/Seadoo guys.

More to come.

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Sorry to hear that Mike, i ran into a small issue with my boat this weekend, but its not going to end the season.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That sucks! I hate to hear that man. Quick question and comment as fellow concerned Scarab owner....
That is an interesting theory about powering the boat into the trailer.

How many hours do you have on your boat?
Good call on the alignment check, let's just hope the dealer has the tools and knows what the heck you are talking about.

one thing I have verified a few times is that some dealers or dealer staff are not aware the boat cannot be run out of the water like an outboard or other engines can
. I had an engine problem with my previous Scarab which turned out to be a faulty breaker (warranty work), long story short, when I asked the service tech at the dealer whether they had tested the boat, they assured me they ran it for "long long time" with the hose and the engine did not shut down (I felt my blood pressure drop like a rock), the story was repeated when I took ownership of the new boat and while going through the orientation we sat forever flushing the engines until I finally told him to stop and they asked why...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, these people are clueless. I'm definitely going to make the trip, and take it to a dealer that knows what they are doing. Looks like it will be going to Rob over at Wavetech in Ft.Myers. Its a 6 hour drive, but I know it will be taken care of properly.

The model Rotax powerplants on these boats also has engine mount issues. There are plenty of aftermarket mounts out there to fix it. Just like there are upgraded aftermarket seals as well. It's just a matter of getting the dealer to know what you are talking about. Scary shit for us Scarab owners.

I have 89 hours on my boat.

That sucks! I hate to hear that man. Quick question and comment as fellow concerned Scarab owner....
That is an interesting theory about powering the boat into the trailer.

How many hours do you have on your boat?
Good call on the alignment check, let's just hope the dealer has the tools and knows what the heck you are talking about.

one thing I have verified a few times is that some dealers or dealer staff are not aware the boat cannot be run out of the water like an outboard or other engines can
. I had an engine problem with my previous Scarab which turned out to be a faulty breaker (warranty work), long story short, when I asked the service tech at the dealer whether they had tested the boat, they assured me they ran it for "long long time" with the hose and the engine did not shut down (I felt my blood pressure drop like a rock), the story was repeated when I took ownership of the new boat and while going through the orientation we sat forever flushing the engines until I finally told him to stop and they asked why...

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yea, these people are clueless. I'm definitely going to make the trip, and take it to a dealer that knows what they are doing. Looks like it will be going to Rob over at Wavetech in Ft.Myers. Its a 6 hour drive, but I know it will be taken care of properly.

The model Rotax powerplants on these boats also has engine mount issues. There are plenty of aftermarket mounts out there to fix it. Just like there are upgraded aftermarket seals as well. It's just a matter of getting the dealer to know what you are talking about. Scary shit for us Scarab owners.

I have 89 hours on my boat.
Good call, keep us posted on what you find out please.

Not to undermine the theory in any way because it is an interesting thought... but just as a reference, I put 125 hours on my previous 215HO and every launch and retrieval was done significantly powering the boat into and out of trailer (my local ramp is very shallow), and the boat also took the abuse from running out of water extended time, never had a carbon seal issue, maybe I was just lucky. Alignment can be a huge issue though.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Took the boat our Yesterday and same thing, Ran great then at the very end bilge kicked on and started pumping. Once I got home, I figured out why. Seems the exhaust cracked and water is shooting out. Ron@Scarab let me know when I can make the trip as well sir. I'll post a video so you can see whats going on. Also, would this cause power loss?

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Took the boat our Yesterday and same thing, Ran great then at the very end bilge kicked on and started pumping. Once I got home, I figured out why. Seems the exhaust cracked and water is shooting out. Ron@Scarab let me know when I can make the trip as well sir. I'll post a video so you can see whats going on.
IMG_2056.PNG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike It's a bummer! But impressive how you are working it out and connecting the dots - you should be on Scarab payroll!!! I remember you raising this issue already long time ago with a Rotax skis.

--

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks man. I know they read these forums. There are updates that have made on the newer boats that correlate with some of the issues addressed here. I just wish they would repair the older boats as well with some recalls. I have 114 hours on my 2016 RXT-X 300. Not one issue.

@ScarabMike It's a bummer! But impressive how you are working it out and connecting the dots - you should be on Scarab payroll!!! I remember you raising this issue already long time ago with a Rotax skis.

--

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Almost 20-30 gallons of water. I raised the bow of the boat as high as i could, opened the engine bay to air it out, and gave it a good CRC656 wash down.

IMG_0450.JPG.jpeg

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What is the average amount of water that should drain out of the drain plug?

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hmmm. As I was pulling my boat out of the water last weekend I noticed that my bilge kicked on. After it stopped I opened the drain plug and maybe a gallon poured out. I didn't think much of it until you said yours usually has no water coming out.

Edit: I don't know if this matters but that was the first time the boat has been out of the water since late April.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Hmmm. As I was pulling my boat out of the water last weekend I noticed that my bilge kicked on. After it stopped I opened the drain plug and maybe a gallon poured out. I didn't think much of it until you said yours usually has no water coming out.

Edit: I don't know if this matters but that was the first time the boat has been out of the water since late April.
Im not to sure honestly, Maybe @ScarabMike can advise.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That may just be rain water, or humidity/condensation from the night. I dont think you have an issue.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've own 2 Rotax powered boats...both have always dropped water after an outing specially if longer than 4-5 hours.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All you have to do is back the boat into the water at the boat ramp get a flashlight (you probably won't need one) and if the carbon seal is gone you will see the water come in at the shaft... Been there done that.. Here are some pictures of a miss aligned .
shaft..

[/ATTACH] 10387.jpeg CARBON SEAL 2.jpg CARBON SEAL.jpg

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As usual, great information. I'm a bit concerned now regarding how I load my boat on the trailer. Normally, even during low tide there is depth enough to keep plenty of water flowing through the jets. I have always been able to back my Scarab trailer in until just the diamond plate caps on the fenders are exposed. I power the boat the last 4 or 5 feet up on the center roller. Is this similar to how you load and is this potentially bad for the boat?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have not had good luck loading my boat into the trailer...always seems to hit too high and my "tape" separating the 2 colors is all but gone...