• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just curious, thoughts on cutting the line at the ramp?

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So we boat in NC. We always trailer and usually go to one or two local ramps on Lake Norman.
Some Sat mornings lately at 11am the ramp is PACKED. I mean literally. A few weeks ago we waited in a line of maybe 25 boats to put ours in. No big deal. We were patient. As we moved along in the line a few feet at a time we would jump out and work on getting our boat ready to put in (remove trailer tie downs, install drain plug, get cooler into the boat, etc).

Sometimes a random guy with an empty trailer will cut to the front of the line because he is not putting a boat in the water, he is removing it. And if he is alone, his boat is just sitting there tied up and in the way of everyone else. Thoughts?

I understand this might be acceptable if he is alone and his boat is tied up to the dock, but if he isn't alone and their is another person driving his boat in the lake and then he still jumps to the front of the line and has the other driver loads up his boat.

We have only been boating about 9 months, but just curious on your thoughts or how etiquette usually works in the boat launching and recovery world.

What we do is my husband is in the boat, I back it in the water and jump out to unhook it, he fires the engines and floats out into the water away from the ONE AND ONLY DOCK. This particular launch ramp only has 2 slips. Once I find a spot he noses up and I jump on and off we go. Seems simple.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we boat in NC. We always trailer and usually go to one or two local ramps on Lake Norman.
Some Sat mornings lately at 11am the ramp is PACKED. I mean literally. A few weeks ago we waited in a line of maybe 25 boats to put ours in. No big deal. We were patient. As we moved along in the line a few feet at a time we would jump out and work on getting our boat ready to put in (remove trailer tie downs, install drain plug, get cooler into the boat, etc).

Sometimes a random guy with an empty trailer will cut to the front of the line because he is not putting a boat in the water, he is removing it. And if he is alone, his boat is just sitting there tied up and in the way of everyone else. Thoughts?

I understand this might be acceptable if he is alone and his boat is tied up to the dock, but if he isn't alone and their is another person driving his boat in the lake and then he still jumps to the front of the line and has the other driver loads up his boat.

We have only been boating about 9 months, but just curious on your thoughts or how etiquette usually works in the boat launching and recovery world.

What we do is my husband is in the boat, I back it in the water and jump out to unhook it, he fires the engines and floats out into the water away from the ONE AND ONLY DOCK. This particular launch ramp only has 2 slips. Once I find a spot he noses up and I jump on and off we go. Seems simple.
Sadly , its like that at most docks. The lonely fisherman coming in as the pleasure boats are going out. Just one of those things we just sigh about. He is kind of in a pinch, since he knows he is taking one slip and it slows everyone else down. Inevitably there is that family loading 14 people with coolers at the dock and the ramp comes to a stand still.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was usually a solo launcher and loader by my choice. Depending on your dock set up, if a boat is sitting there a dock occupying a space, its better to get that guy loaded and out instead of him waiting in line behind boats going in. His boat is clogging up the docks. That's generally how we did things where I launched because there is only 4 spots to dock at and 3 ramps.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also in NC and I load and unload by myself. Need the wife to learn, but right now with the ramps being absolutely gridlocked in NC now is not the time to learn.

Here's an example last weekend. We went to a smaller ramp which sounds similar to yours. I tied up at the ramp, largely now blocking that lane since it's a short dock. Ran, literally ran the whole way, to get my truck/trailer. Get back to the line and there's a guy up at the front of the line not moving. Run down there again and say "hey am I blocking the ramp?" He said "well someone is". I asked him if he minded if I went ahead and got out of everyone's way. He said sure thing, and I hopped out of line and zipped up, back down, and had my boat out in under 2 mins. Now they have a lane that is freed up and if someone has multiple drivers can get in/out without an issue. As I passed the line several people gave me hand gestures, but it is what it is and I got out of their way quickly.

Biggest thing right now is everyone needs to have patience. It took my neighbor 7 hours to get out of the water last weekend due to it being gridlocked and fights breaking out. I swore off that lake until they got more ramps open, but the wife is pressing us to go again tomorrow morning. Not exactly looking forward to what I know will be an absolute nightmare. Ready for things to go back to somewhat normal. People are making one of the things I love the most into something I hate to deal with.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow - didn’t realize how fortunate we are regarding ramps - put in last weekend with no wait at all. We have found that the assumed rules of etiquette vary from ramp to ramp. Many recognize two different lines - those waiting to put in vs pull out. If there is no where to leave a boat out of the way of the ramp then yes pull the boat up when clear and pull ahead of the trailer line with the trailer to open that ramp up quickly. At the Chain of Lakes state park they designate an in ramp and out ramp - the problem is that the road leading from the parking lot does not leave enough room for two lanes of trucks with trailers. There are extra docks for tying up to there though.
At a different lake where there is no room to beach or tie up other than the ramp docks, I pulled into an empty ramp dock, tied up, then had a person approach the same ramp to put in and backed right up to my boat. Then they proceeded to yell at me. There was no long line, and another empty ramp adjacent to the one I was using so I still don’t know why they acted that way. Note that I can get my boat on a trailer alone in only a few minutes - not to mention the other empty ramp so no pleasing everyone! Hope the ramps calm down for all of you on busy lakes!

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see that all the time at the Florida gulf boat ramps, especially at a few places with only one ramp. Usually I think it makes sense because their boat and other returning boats would be getting in the way of the people trying to launch

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We're down 50% in terms of ramp, and 90% in terms of trailer parking, so needless to say by 11AM it's a zoo. Boats falling off trailers, people getting wet above the waist trying to unhook, engines not starting after the trailer has pulled away; it's amateur hour that's for sure. Cars are parking in trailer only spots and bylaw officers aren't ticketing/towing. Cars park and block the turnaround spot (the street ends at the boat ramp). Even saw the local police boat trailer parked in a no parking area.

We get her wet at about 9 am and pull out at about 2 pm. No delay and no problems parking or getting access to the ramp. It's a little cooler so less boats on the water means less waves for water sports. Seems like if I'm about to vacate a parking spot everyone is happy to let me recover the boat. Can't wait for the other boat ramp to open June 1st...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think this is a very difficult situation. I believe the correct way to do it is truck/trailer has right of way. In an ideal situation, a single boater would dock at a waiting dock, go to get the truck, back the trailer in, then go drive it over. Not the most efficient but I think that is the right way to do it. If you have someone with with you, then the idea is applied to drop off driver, then they back in and someone drives the boat on the trailer. This is my favorite method as I am in and out of a ramp in 30 seconds.

With that being said, boat ramps have been a shit show and doing this is pretty difficult to do. When it is like this, ramps seem to have the right of way, which really screws people launching. I don't think there is a right answer, because one person will be the asshole. Either your the asshole with your boat taking up a ramp while trucks wait in line, or your the asshole launching your boat in a slot where someone is waiting for a truck. Either way sometimes you have to force your hand. I think the best thing to do is feel out the pace of the ramp and follow the procedure of what every one else is doing.

I think every boat ramp should have giants signs that say trucks/trailers have right of way over boats and that boats should not be tied to the ramp dock unless the trailer is there. things would be much smoother. This could evenly distribute line of empty trailers to the waiting on loading dock space and trucks waiting to launch.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We get gridlock at our ramps in WI during the busy hours and weekends. Easiest way to avoid it is to launch earlier and stay out of the "peak" recovery time. Regarding your question, I've always assumed that an empty trailer has right of way.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This docking and loading by one person is a sticky wicket. We're very fortunate that all of our ramps a VERY wide ( like 8-9 trucks wide if everybody stay in tight), and we have around 8-10 spots for boats at the docks. So there is NO cutting in line, unless you get a wave around from the guy in front of you. We have space in the parking areas for tie down/load up as well.

The general plan for us goes like this;
Trailer 60ish miles to ramp
Stop in outer section of parking lot and prep
uncover, remove tie downs, load people and gear, deploy bimini, etc
Get in line to launch
Get our turn on the ramp, launch and GTFO (for us this is usually under 3min)
Go park truck

To get the boat back out, goes like this:
Drop me with truck keys at the ramp (usually take the 2yr old and get him in the truck watching his tablet and in the A/C)
I get truck/trailer and get in line
Once I'm on the ramp, she drives the boat on, I winch in, and put safety chain on
Pull out and proceed to outer edge of parking lot
unload people and gear, cover, tie down, etc
trailer home.

I've solo'd a few times, and basically it's the same process, except I have to leave the truck on the ramp and walk over to get the boat, at some point.

Here's our most common ramp at Patoka. Each of those "finger" docks can hold two boats. One on each side. Then each set of "lines" on the ramp are wide enough to fit a boat/truck/trailer combo in. Unless it's a holiday weekend, solo launching isn't an issue on timing. It's just not crowded enough to worry about.
1590672553615.png

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This docking and loading by one person is a sticky wicket. We're very fortunate that all of our ramps a VERY wide ( like 8-9 trucks wide if everybody stay in tight), and we have around 8-10 spots for boats at the docks. So there is NO cutting in line, unless you get a wave around from the guy in front of you. We have space in the parking areas for tie down/load up as well.

The general plan for us goes like this;
Trailer 60ish miles to ramp
Stop in outer section of parking lot and prep
uncover, remove tie downs, load people and gear, deploy bimini, etc
Get in line to launch
Get our turn on the ramp, launch and GTFO (for us this is usually under 3min)
Go park truck

To get the boat back out, goes like this:
Drop me with truck keys at the ramp (usually take the 2yr old and get him in the truck watching his tablet and in the A/C)
I get truck/trailer and get in line
Once I'm on the ramp, she drives the boat on, I winch in, and put safety chain on
Pull out and proceed to outer edge of parking lot
unload people and gear, cover, tie down, etc
trailer home.

I've solo'd a few times, and basically it's the same process, except I have to leave the truck on the ramp and walk over to get the boat, at some point.

Here's our most common ramp at Patoka. Each of those "finger" docks can hold two boats. One on each side. Then each set of "lines" on the ramp are wide enough to fit a boat/truck/trailer combo in. Unless it's a holiday weekend, solo launching isn't an issue on timing. It's just not crowded enough to worry about.
View attachment 120622
Wish we had finger docks or courtesy docks here. They're actually pretty rare here. That would make things a lot easier. That way we wouldn't be tying up a ramp while I back down.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wish we had finger docks or courtesy docks here. They're actually pretty rare here. That would make things a lot easier. That way we wouldn't be tying up a ramp while I back down.
This is going to sound crappy of me......but I honestly thought that is just how it worked until a few years ago. I had never seen any other setup until I was on Lake Michigan with family outside Milwaukee. There a boat/dock/ramp is all one thing. You back in, boat floats off, and then immediately ties off to the dock that is poking out with the ramp into a protected area of water. Was very odd to me.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is going to sound crappy of me......but I honestly thought that is just how it worked until a few years ago. I had never seen any other setup until I was on Lake Michigan with family outside Milwaukee. There a boat/dock/ramp is all one thing. You back in, boat floats off, and then immediately ties off to the dock that is poking out with the ramp into a protected area of water. Was very odd to me.
Yup! That's pretty much all we have. If there is a courtesy dock you maybe can fit 1-2 boats there for a 5-6 lane ramp. Not very conducive for fast single loading. For ramps that have long docks it's generally not as big of a deal as you can float your boat to the end and people can still back in.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think every boat ramp should have giants signs that say trucks/trailers have right of way over boats and that boats should not be tied to the ramp dock unless the trailer is there. things would be much smoother. This could evenly distribute line of empty trailers to the waiting on loading dock space and trucks waiting to launch.
THIS!!!!!!! We have road signs, can we just have a sign large enough to be read from a boat coming in to load? I had a guy flat out LIE to me to beat me in line this past weekend. Quick story: Sunday afternoon around 5:00 pm as I approach the ramp, there are roughly 10 boats all waiting around in a kind of "line". I pull up, and ask "Hey, do you mind if I run up to the dock and drop off my girlfriend to get the truck/trailer?" "Of course, go ahead". I drop her off, then go out about 200 yards and hover waiting for her to get up to the ramp in the considerable line of empty trailers. We use a portable VHF in the truck, so I can give directions while she backs it down. Way easier than yelling through an open window, and with the windows up the bystanders can't interrupt with their "helpful advice". So we are discussing which of the 2 lanes we will likely end up in. She is 2nd in line, and a boat approaches me. Captain asks me "Hey do you mind if I cut to drop someone off to get the truck?" Of course I don't mind, but I told him my trailer was next in line to splash. He then proceeds up to the ramp dock, ties his boat off (where my GF was currently backing in), and leaves his wife there holding the dock lines while he runs and gets the truck! He runs about halfway, then comes back and says "do you need this ramp?" I said yes that's my truck and trailer sitting there, and he proceeds back to the dock, helps his wife push it to the end, and acts generally pissed off the whole time! This happens when a storm pops up too, but usually my play there is to sit back and watch the madness unfold from under my t-top while marriages dissolve in front of my very eyes. Sorry for the rant guys, but there really needs to be signs.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Also in NC and I load and unload by myself. Need the wife to learn, but right now with the ramps being absolutely gridlocked in NC now is not the time to learn.

Here's an example last weekend. We went to a smaller ramp which sounds similar to yours. I tied up at the ramp, largely now blocking that lane since it's a short dock. Ran, literally ran the whole way, to get my truck/trailer. Get back to the line and there's a guy up at the front of the line not moving. Run down there again and say "hey am I blocking the ramp?" He said "well someone is". I asked him if he minded if I went ahead and got out of everyone's way. He said sure thing, and I hopped out of line and zipped up, back down, and had my boat out in under 2 mins. Now they have a lane that is freed up and if someone has multiple drivers can get in/out without an issue. As I passed the line several people gave me hand gestures, but it is what it is and I got out of their way quickly.

Biggest thing right now is everyone needs to have patience. It took my neighbor 7 hours to get out of the water last weekend due to it being gridlocked and fights breaking out. I swore off that lake until they got more ramps open, but the wife is pressing us to go again tomorrow morning. Not exactly looking forward to what I know will be an absolute nightmare. Ready for things to go back to somewhat normal. People are making one of the things I love the most into something I hate to deal with.
Is that where the big fight broke out that went viral? That looks like one hell of an epic shit show.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
THIS!!!!!!! We have road signs, can we just have a sign large enough to be read from a boat coming in to load? I had a guy flat out LIE to me to beat me in line this past weekend. Quick story: Sunday afternoon around 5:00 pm as I approach the ramp, there are roughly 10 boats all waiting around in a kind of "line". I pull up, and ask "Hey, do you mind if I run up to the dock and drop off my girlfriend to get the truck/trailer?" "Of course, go ahead". I drop her off, then go out about 200 yards and hover waiting for her to get up to the ramp in the considerable line of empty trailers. We use a portable VHF in the truck, so I can give directions while she backs it down. Way easier than yelling through an open window, and with the windows up the bystanders can't interrupt with their "helpful advice". So we are discussing which of the 2 lanes we will likely end up in. She is 2nd in line, and a boat approaches me. Captain asks me "Hey do you mind if I cut to drop someone off to get the truck?" Of course I don't mind, but I told him my trailer was next in line to splash. He then proceeds up to the ramp dock, ties his boat off (where my GF was currently backing in), and leaves his wife there holding the dock lines while he runs and gets the truck! He runs about halfway, then comes back and says "do you need this ramp?" I said yes that's my truck and trailer sitting there, and he proceeds back to the dock, helps his wife push it to the end, and acts generally pissed off the whole time! This happens when a storm pops up too, but usually my play there is to sit back and watch the madness unfold from under my t-top while marriages dissolve in front of my very eyes. Sorry for the rant guys, but there really needs to be signs.
I honestly think there should be in ramps and out ramps during high traffic loads. Especially on holiday weekends. We had various forms of law enforcement just grabbing ass watching the fuckery ensue as a storm was approaching. For some reason these jack wagons were still lined up to the damn road trying to put boats in. Which jammed up everyone else scrambling to get out. Rather than just looking around they should have hopped in and directed traffic. They even had an officer in a boat at the ramp. He could help provide some order in the water, while the other 2 direct traffic at the ramps. At a minimum locked down 3 for getting out and one lane for getting in. Instead mayhem happened.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is that where the big fight broke out that went viral? That looks like one hell of an epic shit show.
I heard it made it to our local news. Did not hear about any viral fight? Got a link?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Lol we had a fight last weekend at our ramp too. I didn't see it but several Sheriff officers where out talking to people as we pulled in.

I really like the idea of Sheriffs directing the ramp. Time to contact the city lol.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
All this makes me feel really lucky to have a nice ramp to use.

Screenshot_20200528-150746_Maps.jpg

From dock to dock is 140ft. I've seen 10 trucks launching at once getting ready for bass tournaments. But we still have idiots from time to time. The worst is trying to load/unload 10 people and gear on the ramp.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
All this makes me feel really lucky to have a nice ramp to use.

View attachment 120692

From dock to dock is 140ft. I've seen 10 trucks launching at once getting ready for bass tournaments. But we still have idiots from time to time. The worst is trying to load/unload 10 people and gear on the ramp.
that is a big pet peeve of mine, as well as pulling out two feet to tie straps.... or pull out 100 yards in the middle of the path to do it. Idk why pulling in a parking spot to unload is so difficult.