• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just noticed this hole...

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just finished doing an air filter upgrade and was looking aroung the engine compartment and noticed this open hole behind the aft port side back seat? Any ideas of what it might be there for or if it should be covered up?20191223_141747.jpg20191223_141714.jpg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Air intake for the engine compartment. There should be an opening at the bottom and back of the cushion on the swim platform that allows air thru the hole. My 07 has a couple of holes there, one for each engine. The other side has blower exhaust outlets.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We don't much think about it but with every other stroke the volume of the cylinder is sucked from the intake and pushed through the exhaust. At speed these are very large volumes of air. The hole is there to allow it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don't much think about it but with every other stroke the volume of the cylinder is sucked from the intake and pushed through the exhaust. At speed these are very large volumes of air. The hole is there to allow it.
......every other stroke :D :D...

*EDIT*.......I misread, you're 100% spot on, and I'm a pedantic jerk.....My bad

Still a good deal of air movement...Roughly 223CFM for a single 1.8L at 7400rpm. I guessed at the VE based of tables for a 4-valve headed 4cyl engine.

Capture.JPG

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dad had outboards, and at some point in time it made sense why we would douse the motors with 6-56.. All that salt air going through the back hole of the cowling, and into the carbs in the front of the motor...It's like spraying salt air inside the engine. Not too different in ours...It's amazing how clean they are otherwise for how much air moves through.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length