• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just ordered Vipers for my '18 FSH 190

Waylander

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
As we all know the Jet boats are absolutely ZERO fun to steer at off plane speeds. I now have 50 hrs on my FSH and decided to do something about it. After reading here for a year about the JBP and the Cobra's I chose the viper system. My hopes are as follows:

1) Improved low speed steering- I believe this is a must (especially when coming off plane) and both systems would improve upon factory set up.( I could put my kayak paddle in the water and get better results then factory) Remember, I have 1 year hand 50 hours with this boat so I should be able to immediately feel the difference.
2) At speed steering- Ok, I do not specifically have a problem with on plane steering, however the amount of speed this boat bleeds of in turns can be down right embarrassing. Reading about the vipers many have said this is significantly improved. I am also interested to see the "extra grab" these things report-ably give while turning. The evil father in me kind of hopes to throw his kids of the front set(safely that is).
3)Planing- So I feel this aspect of the viper will be to good to be true but here is to hoping. With 2 kids on the bow, my wife in the 1st mates position and a cooler full of drinks, ice and food, time to plane is between 5 and 6 seconds on a smooth day. Had a full load of 8 on board last weekend and we don't even want to discuss it. Honestly, once again I could have handed out 8 paddles and reached a plane faster. So if I do truly gain anything in this respect it will be icing on the cake.

About Jeff, the owner of Cobra Jet Steering. Thus far I have never in my life received such good customer service. No seriously, that guy is chomping at the bite to answer your emails and questions. He obviously loves going to the post office, because he shipped so fast.

I will have them on Saturday, but will not get to try them until next Saturday as I am patient enough to allow the lock tight to set up fully. No need to take chances. I will update you with my fully subjective opinions about install and performance as I can.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You’ll hear some people bad-mouth Jeff for his “Pirate-esque” method of dealing with his competition, but his steering systems are amazing and his customer service (as you noted) is the best I have ever had the pleasure to deal with!

I have the Viper on my AR190, and it’s a huge improvement over the JBP fins I had before.

As to his Pirate-Ness... personally, I think it’s great. Who says you have to be diplomatic about business, and apparently it’s working just fine for him.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Jeff is a good guy. His stuff works well. I Powdercoated it before I put it on I think it looks better 2ED5C602-229B-4ECE-8B74-2D3DBE48F99A.png87029AF9-2BA9-4A90-8F8A-C8E0A1E048A9.png

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That damn Jeff he was a cop for 23 years and I guess he just calls it like he sees it. He never tries to upsell people. He started designing jet steering because he had a jet boat and hated it. After building the first system and installing it on his personal boat he was so impressed with the transformation of the boat that he patented the system and started making systems for other people.
He was 49 years old when he started this and he still runs the business himself so he never needs any financial handouts, he has no other hands in the cookie jar, he raised 4 kids on a cops salary and still lives in the same house he purchased in 1977 ,drives an old car and could care less about what people think because he hates phonies and refuses to be one.
He never uses marketing companies to help sell his products he would rather his products sell themselves and customers praise them because they believe it them.
He does not pay for Google or other web pages to list him on key words or put him in front of people . But he always encourages people to do their homework and buy their last system first.
It's his baby and if you want the best steering available at a great price from the innovator of jet boat steering upgrades you know who to see.
He does things his way and always has, if you meet him in person he is the exact same person you know on the web sites. He doesn't drink ,doesn't smoke, and even refuses to take pain meds after surgery because he believes addictive drugs do nothing good for humanity based on all the futures , families and lives he witnessed being destroyed by those very things, first hand year after year .
So be yourself if you dare but I know he makes no effort to be anything but himself.
And at 66 years old I would suspect this is how he will always be. I sure hope so. And he appreciates the positive feedback from people who understand how important it is to him to be the real deal. He looks forward to the positive feedback from people who have enjoyed their time on the water after installing his products on their jet boat with the people who matter to them because he raised his family out on the water enjoying every minute to the max even to this very day he spends as much time out on the water with family and friends so he understands the importance of making those memories .

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the Viper on my 190 FSH and it made a world of difference. I installed one after only one trip out. Well built and does what its designed to do.

Last edited:

Waylander

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Well. the viper came a day early-according to USPS tracking it wasn't suppose to be here until tomorrow- but I love a Friday afternoon surprise. Initial impressions after opening was "man this is made well", yep I actually looked at my wife and said that. So I dropped my Friday plans, which consisted of hanging out in my back yard relaxing, and started installing.

Install impressions- This is, in my opinion, an overall easy install. The only slightly tricky part, especially for a guy with sausage fingers, is lining up the new bottom bolt at the proper angle to go in. There was a fair amount of play left in the large washer of the bottom bolt, but after a quick email to Jeff, who answered on a Friday evening I understood is was suppose to float.

Only problem I have is where I decided to mount my transponder. As you can see from the blow pick the fang can not go to a full turn lock position. Tomorrow morning I will file away between 1/16 and an 1/8 of the top corner in order to clear the transponder, yes I ok'd this with Jeff first. Lock tight says only needs 3 hours to completely cure so if all goes well I will test run tomorrow.

By the way..if you ever wonder about Jeff, I think he likes to post in the 3rd person...lol.

@Liveto99
I really like the powder coat. Looks great!!

IMG_1602.jpg

See transducer rubs!!ahh
IMG_1600.jpg

Waylander

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So was able to take the boat out for a Sea Trial(in a lake) yesterday and will be returning the vipers immediately because now my wife wants to drive all the time!!!! I am no longer Captain Jack but have been demoted to 1st mate.

No in all seriousness, there is no way to describe the improvements the viper system makes to a boat. What is truly mind boggling is the fact that a retired police officer (no offense Jeff) came up with the idea in his spare time and the high paid engineers at Yamaha did not. No really, this is what the single engine boats should preform like straight from the factory. Here is update.

1) Improved low speed steering, Yes and yes again. Just can describe the difference. As an added bonus reverse is now usable.

2)At Speed Steering- Ok, so all I can say here is "you better be holding on when you cut the wheel hard". This boat turns now, I mean crazy turns like throw you out of the boat type turns. Extra bonus, speed bleed off is so, so, so much better. Before I would lose between 15 and 20 mph in a turn and then wait for the long ride up to plan. New boat, I say that because that is what it feels like, only averaged 8 to 10 mph bleed off so never truly lost plane. FYI:- i was worried that that I would lose some WOT top end, but nope, hit 41.2 and was able to maintain 40.3-40.6 on straight runs with my normal load out.

3)Planing time- So here is how I test planing time. 3,2,1...GO where my wife hits throttle and I hit stopwatch. I understand this is not truly scientific but it's my boat so I choose the testing method. I have never planned under 5 seconds. usually it is closer to 6. With the fins I averaged 4.34 seconds yesterday. You can actually feel the boat want to pop out of the water. The bonus is the fact that at low speeds, say 9 to 10 mph the bow lays down and the boat no longer plows through the water.

If you have a single engine Jet boat do not make the mistake I did and wait an entire year. I really can not put into words the difference bolting on a piece of aluminum made to my boat. Just do it. Worst case is you take them off and send them back to Jeff with his 30 day return policy-but trust me you want.

See you on the water

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok thank you for the update. That is exactly what I love to hear, it's my motivator .
F Y I There is also a new super ultimate system that works very nicely on this model and the others as well with specially designed fins that avoid hanging way under the boat while providing excellent slow speed, high speed, reverse and docking control with springs and adjustments to set the level where you want it and for water sports having steering all the time is very important and I have the patents on the fins in the water on plane. www.cobrajetsteering.com is where you can view all the options available for your various jet boats. I also did a breakdown on the systems in the vendor section of this web page https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/
Most new jet boat owners really have no idea and for this reason they rely on the people who have jet boats and aftermarket systems added. So be sure to add your upgrades to the signature of your profile not just for steering but all your upgrades to assist them in their first year of jet boat ownership. Remember it's all about the memories and good times spent with family and friends enjoying the water and the sun. And if the admiral likes driving the boat everyone is having a good day I recall a post by [U]AboveTheBest[/U] when he first tried his Viper and his wife was driving the boat waiting to load it on the trailer and showing off.
Making jet boats steer & drivers smile was coined from my own first reaction after designing and installing the very first Cobra system on my personal jet boat back in 2001 and each time I drove that boat I would be hyped up on adrenalin because it was a new boat it was a blast and the worst thing about the steering is contained in this word," UNBELIEVABLE" I made video after video I do things that no one believes is even possible on a jet ski, I made videos with 24 foot boats and people still have a hard time believing these things are possible. But over 10,000 Yamaha jet boats can't be wrong.
So with boating season getting started more people will be making a choice to improve their steering systems because contrary to what the sales rep told you the steering even with the rudder added leaves a lot to be desired and if you need proof do a turn on plane and pull back the throttles in the turn.
Now imagine if a large object or swimmer or a boat was in your way when you tried to turn and slow down to avoid hitting them.