• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

K&N filter upgrade

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m looking to remove stock air box and add K&N filter. My question is there anything other than the filter I will need to install? I’ve seen some people mention adapters and some no mention of it so I’m not sure. Also what is the most common size people use?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m looking to remove stock air box and add K&N filter. My question is there anything other than the filter I will need to install? I’ve seen some people mention adapters and some no mention of it so I’m not sure. Also what is the most common size people use?
Why the upgrade?

If you're doing it for performance, save your money.

If you want it for the sake of having a "cleanable and reusable" filter. Get a panel filter drop in. for the stock airbox.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Why the upgrade?

If you're doing it for performance, save your money.

If you want it for the sake of having a "cleanable and reusable" filter. Get a panel filter drop in. for the stock airbox.
You forgot that reason enough is, that it looks better

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks better, more room, etc. plus the filters half the price of Yamahas. Mine needs a new one looks like shit. I understand there is no performance gain with an air filter. The stock air box is huge and takes up way to much room.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks better, more room, etc. plus the filters half the price of Yamahas. Mine needs a new one looks like shit. I understand there is no performance gain with an air filter. The stock air box is huge and takes up way to much room.
Aren‘t the stock air boxes designed so that air is pulled from as high up as possible so that water ingestion isn’t an issue if a lot of water ends up in the engine compartment?

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aren‘t the stock air boxes designed so that air is pulled from as high up as possible so that water ingestion isn’t an issue if a lot of water ends up in the engine compartment?
If I got that much water in my engine compartment then I got bigger issues to worry about.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought the drop on replacement filters for my 242 ls but plan to wait to upgrade the air filters in my waverunners with the same engine. Just no need to spend the money right now on air filters that are still new and likely fine. I’ve purchased K&N refresh spray years ago and have used it exactly no times since, the air filters don’t seem to get dirty at all. On my sx 230 they would sometimes get oily not the case with the 240.

I believe that the upgrade is the the air filters without the box, if so you may want to speak to someone when you place the order since as I recall one of the air filters needs a special adapter or the stock hose needs to be cut to get it to fit into a 240, at least the generation (2010 through 2014) because of the size/shape/use of the engine compartment.

Since you are already upgrading the air filters with ones that also act as flame arrestors you may as well remove the stock flame arrestors and replace them with the rica intake sleeves (I think they are called intake modifiers and run about $50 each). I will do this to my waverunners when I upgrade the air filters, so maybe next year definitely not this year.

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the drop on replacement filters for my 242 ls but plan to wait to upgrade the air filters in my waverunners with the same engine. Just no need to spend the money right now on air filters that are still new and likely fine. I’ve purchased K&N refresh spray years ago and have used it exactly no times since, the air filters don’t seem to get dirty at all. On my sx 230 they would sometimes get oily not the case with the 240.

I believe that the upgrade is the the air filters without the box, if so you may want to speak to someone when you place the order since as I recall one of the air filters needs a special adapter or the stock hose needs to be cut to get it to fit into a 240, at least the generation (2010 through 2014) because of the size/shape/use of the engine compartment.

Since you are already upgrading the air filters with ones that also act as flame arrestors you may as well remove the stock flame arrestors and replace them with the rica intake sleeves (I think they are called intake modifiers and run about $50 each). I will do this to my waverunners when I upgrade the air filters, so maybe next year definitely not this year.
That’s my question exactly is if there is a need for an adapter. I’ve considered removing the flame arrestor but it’s a bit more PITA on the SVHO and I’m not sure if it’s worth all the trouble for just a little gain. If end up putting in a BOV I probably will since I will be removing the manifold anyways but probably not doing this year as it’s about to be go time in the next couple weeks. Would like to get the filter issue sorted out as soon as possible. There’s just a lot of different information out there on the forums I’ve read through.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do a search on yamahajetboaters.com , I think that is where I first saw posts about guys that did the same upgrade and the adapter/modifications required.

if I remember correctly it’s the air filter on the forward wall of the compartment that requires some modifications because without them the air filter is too long and touches the engine which prevents it from being installed correctly. Also, if you end up buying the flame arrestor get the right ones, those for supercharged engines are a different size.

Last edited:

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do a search on yamahajetboaters.com , I think that is where I first saw posts about guys that did the same upgrade and the adapter/modifications required.
Thanks. Will do.

Brody2012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the replies.